No announcement yet.

Vehicle searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have walked up on a GW standing in the back of my truck going through my coolers, twice. I guess that is okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamshire View Post
      Because I use Ozonics, they have yet to find any of my cocaine and it's literally out in the open. Thanks, Ozonics!
      If that really works I may get use one to cross some bologna over from Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
        I didn't enter the right to drive debate, left that up to you fellers to hash out. And yes, you knew **** good and well what I was talking about regarding the bill of rights.

On the dog subject. I refuse a search so the officer brings out Fido. What's to stop the officer from just sayin the dog alerted, even though he didn't, and getting his way into my truck anyway? The officer already wants to search because he asked, I said no so therefore the officer thinks I have something to hide so of course, the dog alerted!!
        I have a body camera and vehicle camera. I have 10+ years in K9, 24+ in LE. I can show video on the dog alert, and articulate the dog alert. I can testify about thousands of training and real deal alerts in court. I can clearly explain in court how my dog alerts and relate that to the video. I can show documentation on every dog deployment I have had (thousands).

Or, I can get on the stand and perjure myself. I can get put in prison, lose my job, and lose my retirement. That's what stops me from "sayin the dog alerted".

Any more questions?

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
          I have a body camera and vehicle camera. I have 10+ years in K9, 24+ in LE. I can show video on the dog alert, and articulate the dog alert. I can testify about thousands of training and real deal alerts in court. I can clearly explain in court how my dog alerts and relate that to the video. I can show documentation on every dog deployment I have had (thousands).

Or, I can get on the stand and perjure myself. I can get put in prison, lose my job, and lose my retirement. That's what stops me from "sayin the dog alerted".

Any more questions?
          I didn't say YOU in particular. Sure more questions, you cannot tell me that this scenario has never played out? All that stuff you said in the first paragraph I have no doubt of. You can testify and articulate to the court, don't mean it's true. Don't mean every officer has the integrity that you do either.

Comment

I have found that such requests by law enforcement officers often gives me the chance to educate them on NFA law and compare cool work instruments...

Comment

Good luck to you! You do know that in high concentrations it will kill you eventually, right? AND, since I know what ozone smells like I can articulate reasonable suspicion to detain and investigate even if my dog doesn't alert.

I know, you were being funny. Just letting you know we know these tricks and how to work around them. :-}
              Just curious how your dog would respond to wolf urine? Long ago I knew a smuggler/dealer who used it. He eventually got caught.

Comment

I didn't say YOU in particular. Sure more questions, you cannot tell me that this scenario has never played out? All that stuff you said in the first paragraph I have no doubt of. You can testify and articulate to the court, don't mean it's true. Don't mean every officer has the integrity that you do either.
                Funny, you didn't say me in particular....but you said that after quoting me. Nope, can't tell you this has never played out....I can tell you it has never played out when I was around. I can tell you I reported a fellow officer to IA and testified against him in court. I can tell you the worst thing in the world in my line of work is a bad cop. Are there bad cops? Yep, a few. Are there bad restaurant owners? You tell me. My testifying and articulation to the court statement was in regards to validating what they see on the video, since most people don't know how dogs are trained and how they alert. Thanks for the integrity sentence, but still sounds like you are doubtful.

My career, my soon to come retirement, and my freedom are way more important to me than violating your rights and going to prison. I think 99.9% of cops would tell you the same thing.

Comment

Funny, you didn't say me in particular....but you said that after quoting me. Nope, can't tell you this has never played out....I can tell you it has never played out when I was around. I can tell you I reported a fellow officer to IA and testified against him in court. I can tell you the worst thing in the world in my line of work is a bad cop. Are there bad cops? Yep, a few. Are there bad restaurant owners? You tell me. My testifying and articulation to the court statement was in regards to validating what they see on the video, since most people don't know how dogs are trained and how they alert. Thanks for the integrity sentence, but still sounds like you are doubtful.

My career, my soon to come retirement, and my freedom are way more important to me than violating your rights and going to prison. I think 99.9% of cops would tell you the same thing.
                  The quoting you part was about the "right to drive" and constitution. I don't know you, so I'm not talking about you. The discussion is vehicle searches and I expressed my concern with searches involving dogs. As stated, I, as a citizen, have no recourse if an officer said the dog alerted. I don't know if the dog did or didn't but I'd be very skeptical as that is my nature. As with any profession, there are bad apples in every one of em and I know that there has been a random citizen or two that has been searched after Officer Bad Apple claims his dog alerted. And congrats on your upcoming retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                    Just curious how your dog would respond to wolf urine? Long ago I knew a smuggler/dealer who used it. He eventually got caught.
                    Never tried, but I know how he responds to other dog/cat/animal odors. He does show interest, but interest and alert are different. That's why K9 is required (by case law) to have ongoing training. Most K9 handlers train more than SWAT teams or any other LE specialty. My training usually exceeds 20 hours per month.

Comment

The quoting you part was about the "right to drive" and constitution. I don't know you, so I'm not talking about you. The discussion is vehicle searches and I expressed my concern with searches involving dogs. As stated, I, as a citizen, have no recourse if an officer said the dog alerted. I don't know if the dog did or didn't but I'd be very skeptical as that is my nature. As with any profession, there are bad apples in every one of em and I know that there has been a random citizen or two that has been searched after Officer Bad Apple claims his dog alerted. And congrats on your upcoming retirement!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Wolf Urine?

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                        Um... Do you know where he obtained this wolf urine? I'll be picking up a wolf tag in a week and a half and that could be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          Um... Do you know where he obtained this wolf urine? I'll be picking up a wolf tag in a week and a half and that could be useful.
                          I don't know here he purchased it. Too long ago. A quick google search show's it can be purchased from Amazon or many trapping supply businesses.

Comment

I'll try to explain. Courts say only accuracy is training. Training accuracy is in contained environments. Street accuracy is different. I stop someone, dog alerts, driver says never been dope in the car. Dog says odor in the car. Who do I believe? Dog. People lie to us all the time. Most of the time when dog alerts and nothing found driver/occupants admit there was dope in the car recently, some folks refuse to admit. Does that mean the dog is wrong? No, training in controlled environments is the ONLY way to prove the dogs accuracy, and that's what the courts go by.

I don't " tear the car up searching". I do a thorough search, but everything is replaced to it's location in most cases.
                            You missed my point a little bit, I meant if something accidently got broke and the people were found to not be carrying anything illegal, then what would their recourse be? I would think something like that would happen occasionally, and figured there was a standard process

Comment

flyby, funny thing about alerts. My Mal, Taz, alerted to cocaine by simply turning her head away and walking on, then back to sniffing. She hated the smell of cocaine. Any other narcotic she would bark and scratch. Her sire was exactly the same way, same alert. You had to keep one eye on her when searching!

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                                You missed my point a little bit, I meant if something accidently got broke and the people were found to not be carrying anything illegal, then what would their recourse be? I would think something like that would happen occasionally, and figured there was a standard process
                                Never happened with me, but I do know someone whose dog bit an armrest. Department paid to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                                X