Talk me out of selling my Savage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of selling my Savage

I bought this new recently (traded into it actually). It is a 110 Lightweight Storm SS in 6.5 Creedmoor. It only weights 5.5 pounds. I haven't fired it yet. It is a very nice rifle, but I am really thinking about just going to AR platform rifles for everything.

I am having some serious back issues, and though the lightweight rifle would be nice for walking and carrying, I'm not sure I'm going to be doing a lot of walking in the foreseeable future if I don't see some drastic improvement with the back.

This all being said, do any of you hunt primarily with AR style rifles? I'm kind of thinking a .224 Valkyrie for varmints and a 6.8 SPC II for the larger animals. They both share the same bolt charging group and I would imagine the same magazines. It also seems there are decent offerings in factory ammo for both. I am not a hand-loader so factory ammo is it for now.

I'm out here in Colorado, so this is from CPWD on hunting rifles:

"Rifles using center-fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating, and except for mountain lion where any center-fire rifle using bullets of at least 45 grains and producing at least 400 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle may be used. Provided further that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited."
    Attached Files

I hunt with an AR sometimes. I like the accuracy of the 6.8 but have no personal experience with the .224 Valkyrie. With the wide variety of ammo available for the .223/5.56 I don't see much of an advantage for varmints. I've killed a bunch of predators and gobs of other critters with a .223. The name of the game when predator calling is to get them in close. The long range aspect isn't really that appealing to me but that's just my opinion.

Comment

It is not a Remington. That in itself should talk you out of the sell.

Comment

Never sell guns, only buy. Keep it and buy what you want. My only regret when it comes to guns is the ones I have sold.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
          Never sell guns, only buy. Keep it and buy what you want. My only regret when it comes to guns is the ones I have sold.
          This.

Comment

Absolutely!

Comment

Don't sell your Savage.

Comment

If I could only have one rifle for what I'm gonna hunt for the rest of my life, it would be a 6.8 SPC II. That said, I'm not confined to that so I'll continue to deer hunt with my APR .280 Rem., but my go-to hog guns are 6.8, and they double as coyote guns. I've found nothing I like better.

Comment

Keep the Savage, get rid of the calibur...

Click image for larger version

Name:	FADC6683-C478-4B01-A52B-6A3AEC99AE35.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24539339

Comment

Sell it and get what you want. If there's no sentimental value in it it's just another tool in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Sell it and get what you want. If there's no sentimental value in it it's just another tool in the box.
                      This is what I'm leaning toward. It is a cool little rifle at 5.5 pounds with that 20" barrel, but I'm thinking 6.8 SPC II is what I will end up with

Comment

Unless you're wanting a different rifle the 6.8 won't keep up with the creed.

I've handled you're rifle in tbe store and it is a lightweight. Not really required except for the most extreme hunting situations .

If you paired it with a fairly light scope it would make an excellent walking / vermin rifle. I'd put a 2-12 vx6 and load some 120 grain boolets for hogs yotes and deer inside of 300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

add me in on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                            I'm kind of thinking a .224 Valkyrie for varmints and a 6.8 SPC II for the larger animals.
                            I am going all AR hunting rifles myself, the bolt guns have been sitting lonely in the safe for several hunting seasons now.

6.8 SPC and 6.5 grendel are both great. I prefer the grendel because it performs better at distance. Inside 300 yards, you wont notice much of a difference. There is also cheap plinking ammo for the 6.5 grendel.

Lots of people are having issuers with the .224 stabilizing heavier bullets. With not many options on the market as far as ammo I would personally prefer the 22 nosler or just a good old 223/556.

I get you want to share the same bolts and mags but for me anyways thats not enough to justify the 6.8 or 224 valk when looking at the other options above. But thats just my opinion and we know how everyone feels about that .
                            Last edited by yotethumper; 05-13-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                              This.
                              Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                              Absolutely!
                              Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              add me in on this one.
                              I'm the opposite. That's like having a stack of hundred dollar bills sitting in the safe doing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X