Honest VX3I Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest VX3I Review

I am in the process of picking up a few new scopes. Does anyone have any hands on knowledge of the Leopold VX3I 4.14-50 CDS Side Focus. I'm not dead set on it, just curious if they're worth the buy. I know scopes are a huge debate around any forum.

Curious about their tracking and their comparison to a Vortex Viper HS 4-16. I'll be getting a scope on a APR 25-06 and a Browning A-Bolt 7mm. Not looking for a combat grade optic, something that will track properly and be clear. I had an older vx3 on a older rifle and it was clearer than the Viper at 300, I could see a small 1" black dot inside a 3" orange target where as the Vortex was a blurry orange dot and I place with focus and parallax. Realistically will be shooting around 700-800.

I have 3 of the VX3i's with CDS. 2 side focus and 1 not side focus. they have been reliable for me out to 600 yds on my 7 mag and 6.5 Creedmoor. they had a good workout that day. they all have tracked back to zero with out issues. I think they are as good or better than the old VX3's.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ar3731guy; 02-24-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I have several vx3s and just recently picked up a vx3i, personally I think the new glass is better in low light. I have never had issues with any of them tracking. IMO they are much better than vortex in both clarity and tracking.

Comment

Thank you guys. My old one never gave me a problem and my agency got us nightforce nxs and i just can't buy that on my own dime. My viper was defective from factory and was repaired without issue and now I have a bad taste in my mouth. That's gonna go on the savage fcv .223 hopefully.

Comment

Good glass. I've owned 3 of them. I'll keep that one on the 7/08 Tikka that I cut down for my boys. The rest of my rifles are wearing VX6's now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the exact scope you are looking at if the price was right. I've got two guns looking for glass right now. If I find a good deal on the VX3i you are looking at then I'll grab it. If I find a good deal on a VX6 then I'll grab it. VX6 is better but VX3i is plenty good. Either one is a hell of a lot better than the Vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 VariX3 4 1/2 - 14 by 40 Scopes. They are good scopes for general hunting.

Comment

If I were to buy another scope it would be with a maor reticle

Comment

Price is not beatable for sure. I like that the windplex reticle isn't all cluttered for a hunting scope.

Comment

Anyone comment on the 40mm bell field of view for the low power (hunting)? Heard it's very small compared to other manufactures .

Also considering that Boone and Crockett reticle. Wish I could find one of these at a local retailer to check out in person....

Comment

I'd go Leupold all the way. Tried and true. Vortex seems to have QC issues as of lately. I see a lot of refurbished scopes for sale and to me that's not a good sign.

Leupold would be my first choice but I wouldn't be afraid to look at Trijicon. I'm kind of in the same boat looking for a scope for my newly acquired AR10.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                      I'd go Leupold all the way. Tried and true. Vortex seems to have QC issues as of lately. I see a lot of refurbished scopes for sale and to me that's not a good sign.

Leupold would be my first choice but I wouldn't be afraid to look at Trijicon. I'm kind of in the same boat looking for a scope for my newly acquired AR10.
                      Not sure what Trijicon scope you're looking at, but my buddy's Accupoint 1-4 is lacking in the clarity and light transmission departments, especially at the edges. I know they make very reliable products but I don't think optical quality is a priority for them.

My Illuminated Mark AR is significantly better at half the price, and it is only using VX-2 glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
                        Anyone comment on the 40mm bell field of view for the low power (hunting)? Heard it's very small compared to other manufactures .

Also considering that Boone and Crockett reticle. Wish I could find one of these at a local retailer to check out in person....
                        Objective lens size does not affect the field of view, just as scope tube diameter does not affect light transmission. Looking at Leupold's page, their 40mm and 50mm objective scopes have the same FOV at 100 yards from low to high power, and a larger scope tube simply gives more elevation adjustment.

Read up on exit pupil diameter, basically with good quality glass you should be able to see past shooting light, if the scope is dark try turning the magnification down a bit. There is some truth that the very large 56mm lenses are popular for night hunting, but they are also combined with top-notch glass usually. The larger objective lens does seem to offer a slightly more forgiving eye box though.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
                          I have 3 of the VX3i's with CDS. 2 side focus and 1 not side focus. they have been reliable for me out to 600 yds on my 7 mag and 6.5 Creedmoor. they had a good workout that day. they all have tracked back to zero with out issues. I think they are as good or better than the old VX3's.

How big of a difference does the side focus make?

Comment

Does anyone have any insight on the side focus? I am about to pull the trigger on one of these and am curious if I should get the side focus or if I should just save a little money and pass on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
                              How big of a difference does the side focus make?
                              I wouldn't get one with out the side focus ever again.

Comment

Working...
                              X