No announcement yet.

Man lying down with hands up shot by cops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good post bowmaniac. You keep doing it right. As posted earlier not everyone is great at the job they do. Or even really qualified for it. So mistakes happen.

You make a mistake filling a pot hole and it just becomes a pothole again. You make a mistake disarming an IED and you and your squad gets hurt/killed. You make a mistake as a police officer and maybe someone gets hurt/killed/wrongly prosecuted. It's a tougher job. The stakes are higher. If they weren't as high we wouldn't need them out there as much.

I agree we shouldn't cover for the bad ones. Weed them out and the whole will be stronger. However blanketing the whole with the tarnish of the few is wrong as well. And makes for a more dangerous situation for them, and us.

Comment

Crap happens and it does not happen in a vaccum. Glad he survived and hopefully the judicial process sorts it out correctly and honestly for all involved.

Comment

Daniel,

I never said that I fault the officer, I merely suggest and believe that it is the fault of training at times (not all). When I look at incidents, I look at the possibility that the officer didn’t have the proper tools to get the job done. I am not talking about items on the gun belt. I am talking about mental and physical attributes. I teach Basic Gang Investigations at an academy with officers from multiple jurisdictions. I have taken these opportunities to test a few theories. I generally ask the cadets who hasn’t been in a fight prior to the academy. I usually get mixed answers. Allot consider wrestling in high school a “Fight” and half the class will raise their hands. When I narrow the parameters down to an actual self-defense or bar style fight, all the hands usually fall. When asked who has had some sort of communication or mediation training, I usually only get the college students that raise their hand. This makes me wonder and are these cadets ready for that moment? Like another TBH member stated, this doesn’t happen in a vacuum and he is right! It doesn’t. We have the luxury to play “back seat driver” and break down what happened. I do this so that I can think of ways to train officers or pass on the importance of this style training.

The general public just isn’t accepting of the “old School” ways of law enforcement. When I say that I am talking about the Chris Rock “if you make the officer run, he is bringing an *** whooping when he catches you” ways. I see far too many incidents where there is a car chase or foot chase and when the suspect is caught, here comes the knee strikes and punches. I understand the emotion roller coaster that officers go through when this happens, be when anger steps in, it’s a bad ending. For the few officers reading this. Have you ever been to a class on de-escalating your own emotions on or after a critical incident? I bet the majority would say, no.
        The state of Texas knows there is a training gap that takes place between departments and has mandated that all LEO’s get training in CIT (Crisis Intervention Team) to help deal with subjects with mental issues.

I know and completely understand that allot of departments just don’t have the funding to train, much less get their guys equipment. The problem with that thinking is that if you get into a “media storm” incident, you will be treated the same by the media as a better trained officer. They don’t see the imperfections in our training and assume we are all trained the same and we all have the same ability.

So what’s the answer? I really don’t know if it boils down to one thing but if it’s not fixed from the inside out then it’s destined to fail.

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
        Can you list a few incidents that you saw where the officers made mistakes in your mind.

One thing you have to remember is that there are some departments that place training last on the list. It may or may not be the fault of the officer that they have had inferior training. There was a sheriff's office on FB the other day that was starting a gofundme account for new vests because it wasn't in their budget and their vests were expired by a few years, IIRC. We are only as good as our training. Most of the shootings I have seen have been justified under UOF case law, that's why I'm asking which ones you've seen that have not been.

That officer in SC who shot the black guy in the back, looks absolutely justified for his indictment and prosecution. The old guy who shot the guy in the back when he thought he was tasing him, prosecution looks justified, even though he made a mistake. Which other ones did you think were bad shoots?

Comment

"Just comply", the said. "You won't get shot", they said. Smh.

What's sad is our warfighters overseas are forced to abide by strict rules of engagement, even when fired upon.

However, the police rules of engagement seems a lot more liberal.

I have an issue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            RJH has a valid point, especially based on the posts I've read elsewhere on TBH. Many in our camp blindly support one side instead of having an open mind about every news story.

100% agree.

I will never say Black Lives Matter. I will never say I Back the Blue.

When you do that, you draw a line in the sand and you're forced to take sides. Two opposing sides results in more turmoil when everyone should be looking at each situation case by case. We're not doing that.

I realize that not every cop is bad. That's absurd to think so.

I realize that not every black man with dreads and sagging pants is a gangbangin thug.

Some people on here can watch a vid of a cop beating a baby to death with a dead hooker and still support the cop (to be fair, I used the same analogy on a BLM blog).

Comment

That is a colorful analogy

Comment

It's true though. I've been at the bottom of the dogpile here for speaking out for a baby burned up with a flashbang, a seven year old girl burned up with a flashbang and shot through the head and killed, a thirteen year old boy walking to a field to play air soft, accosted from behind and when he turned around to see who was yelling at him got lit up and killed.

Before anyone questions it, yes all those cases were found to be justifiable. In order to convict police, you have to prove intent. That beyond reasonable doubt they intended to do it. The same standard the FBI used to avoid prosecuting Hillary over her server. It's a virtually impossible standard to prove.

Comment

Unfortunate event for everyone involved, at least no one was killed. The video that is there does tell at least some of the story and it's not good. Hard to justify that kind of mistake, and any trying to whitewash makes it worse. Just my opinion. D

Comment

Working...
                  X