Lost engagement ring diamond already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
    My center diamond was loose, we sent it to the jewelers to tighten it up. It came back with a different stone. It was not the same perfection as the original stone. These were supposed to be reputable jewelers. I don't think I would trust as jewelers. I guess jokes is on us who have no clue what we are looking at but are willing to pay thousands of dollars for it.
    Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
    can't the diamond be laser cut with an i.d.# on them somehow? seems i've seen this advertised somewere before.
    That's what I was thinking. You might look into that if Mr Perfectstorm saved the paperwork. It seems like I read that all cut diamonds have a serial # laser etched on them now. Worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
      I'm a cheap rascal. Wife's ring new in 1998 was like 1200-1500. Probably worth little more now but at 20 years olds- I still financed it for 6 months . I have had two clients lately pay 30,000 for wedding rings and both didn't last a yr . $ doesn't mean everything and it sets you up for what they expect
      Howard, can you recommend a reputable jewel to serialize a diamond that does not, to my knowledge, have any marks on it. I would wonder if these diamonds are serialized before being set. Is it possible to have it reasonably done afterwards? My wife's isn't fancy, only a 7/8 caret (I know, I'm cheap), but I would like to make certain that we receive her stone back after having work done on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        Yes. My wife's is lasered. There is a database and documentation, etc.
        My wife's has a serial number lasered in it so nobody can pull the switch on us. Of course my aunt owns the jewelry store, so that is the only place the ring will ever see. I had jewelry insurance on it the minute I walked out of her store.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          That's what I was thinking. You might look into that if Mr Perfectstorm saved the paperwork. It seems like I read that all cut diamonds have a serial # laser etched on them now. Worth a look.
          Mostly designed diamonds do, not your run of the mill rock.

Comment

If your stone is set in four prongs , all it takes is for one to hang on something and loosen up and you will lose the stone . Get at least a six prong setting for the stone . You could still lose it but not with just one loose prong on the setting . Yes , I have replaced a couple .

Comment

Originally posted by dcbrown View Post
              Howard, can you recommend a reputable jewel to serialize a diamond that does not, to my knowledge, have any marks on it. I would wonder if these diamonds are serialized before being set. Is it possible to have it reasonably done afterwards? My wife's isn't fancy, only a 7/8 caret (I know, I'm cheap), but I would like to make certain that we receive her stone back after having work done on it.

Wondering the same thing I need to get the fiances serialized.
              Didn't know this could be done
              Last edited by dclifton; 01-23-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                Mostly designed diamonds do, not your run of the mill rock.
                That's what I was thinking. Though a lot of folks use grandma's old ring, or a stone from grandma's old earings. My sister is a VP with Neiman Marcus and her (big) stone in her wedding ring is from my BIL's grandmothers collection, which is old, but not run of the mill.

Comment

My wife is on her third diamond in her wedding ring. She doesn't wear it to work or around the house anymore. I know several women that have lost diamonds from wedding rings.

Comment

Women are hard on jewelry. Jewelry in turn is hard on furniture, car doors, door knobs, and other more personal things. I have really tried to avoid buying jewelry for those reasons. I recommend that you somehow convince her to put it in a jewelry box to avoid any more loss or damage.

Comment

Lost engagement ring diamond already

Same reason I skipped the chain stores.

I choose a family Jeweler in the Fort Worth area. Talk about quality.

Custom made setting. Main diamond is held in place by a 6 prong platinum prong. The rest is made out of white gold. Like the others have said I had it insured before I ever left the store. I could never replace it if I tried.

Here is mine. I'm rough on it and haven't lost a stone! I was only kidding when I said I wanted diamonds too.

Comment

Nothing good to say about Robbins Bros. Bought my wife's ring there spent about 6k yes diamonds do fall out. They remade her setting 3 times used different materials. Had them build 2 wedding bands and after all the trouble only paid for one.

Comment

My son has lost diamonds from his ring 3 or 4 times, always replaced because of the warranty.

Comment

I'd get an inland marine policy on it. Sounds like poor craftsmanship. Also, as mentioned above, get a serieal number etched into the side.

Comment

My mom sales diamonds and engagement rings. She can have anything built for you and save you 1000's. If you need anything send me a pm and I can give you her #.

Comment

I have never lost a diamond, but I did run a drill through the sapphire after about 6 months of wearing it. Had it custom designed by an individual and we told him it had to be indestructible, he did not believe us until we took the ring in for repair. decided to go with a double wedding band to protect the sapphires some.
                                here are a few picts of the set and the engagement ring
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	24281447

Click image for larger version

Name:	wedding (29).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	24281446
                                Attached Files

Comment