Lens advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens advice

Okay, my in-laws gave me my first DSLR for Christmas and I am now looking to spend a little bit of cash on a lens or two. They gave me a Rebel XSi kit with one lens. After messing with my brother-in-law's 50D I have decided to trade the XSi kit in on a 50D body. I am looking to spend in the neighborhood of $2,000 on lenses but that needs to cover me. I plan on taking a couple of classes so that I can get the most out of the equipment that I will have. I really am thinking that with my budget I can end up with two really nice lenses that can cover pretty much anything I want to do. Am I way off base with that assumption? Anyway, advice from any of you Canon folks on which lenses you would recommend for that price range would be greatly appreciated.

If it were me, I'd get a good, wide angle zoom to be my daily walk around lens and then add a quality zoom. Take a look at either the 17-40 f4 L or the 17-55 f2.8 IS. I have the 17-55 and LOVE that lens. Either of the two would be a great lens.

For a zoom, get either the 70-200 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS or 70-200 f2.8L non IS. Depending on how close you want to get to the 2 grand, you can't go wrong with any of these. I think you'd really like the 70-200 f4L IS. It is reported to be the best lens in the 70-200 series for Canon.

Toss in a 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 depending on where you end up within your budget. You can have a lot of fun with the narrow depth of field on either of those lenses. I have the f1.8 an enjoy playing with it.

Comment

What Casey said. The route I took was the 17-55 2.8, 70-200 f/4 and 10-22 f3.5-4.5. At Canoga Camera that would put you $174.82 over budget but I think you would be very happy with the set-up.

Comment

I would recommend

Canon 17-55 2.8 IS
        Canon 100-400 L IS

If you buy them both slightly used off fredmiranda.com you could get them for under your budget along with a prime 50mm F1.8. If you buy new, $150 over budget (the 100-400 has a $100 instant rebate right now).

Comment

why the 17-55 2.8 and not the 24-70 2.8L?

why not the 100-400 4.5-5.6L?

I am sure that would put you over you budget but if you are going to spend $2000 why not $2500

Comment

I don't find 24mm wide enough for my walk around lens. IMO 24-70 is a great walk around for a full frame sensor. I agree with you on the 100-400!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been away from a computer since last Wednesday and this is the first time that I have had an opportunity to check this thread since it was posted. Now I am more confused than ever. My brother-in-law is a freelance sports photographer. He recommended that I go with the 50D kit that has the 28-135mm lens and then add a 70-200 f2.8L IS. He said that for a walk around lens he really likes the basic 28-135. The 70-200 will be used primarily when hunting (low light situations) so that is why he recommended the f2.8L in the 70-200. Thoughts on that setup?

Comment

28mm would not be wide enough for me and my 50D. The 70-200 f2.8 L IS is a great lens for low light (I have it myself) but given your budget of $2k on lenses, it would have been all I could have suggested (it's $1500).

I think most will disagree on the 28-135. It's just not wide enough, in my opinion.

Comment

My 28-135 hasn't been out of my camera bag in well over a year. I agree with Casey. There are some other great walk around lenses you should take a look at. I have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 that I love, stays on the camera 90% of the time and you can pick one up for under $500.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    28mm would not be wide enough for me and my 50D. The 70-200 f2.8 L IS is a great lens for low light (I have it myself) but given your budget of $2k on lenses, it would have been all I could have suggested (it's $1500).

I think most will disagree on the 28-135. It's just not wide enough, in my opinion.
                    X2

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      If it were me, I'd get a good, wide angle zoom to be my daily walk around lens and then add a quality zoom. Take a look at either the 17-40 f4 L or the 17-55 f2.8 IS. I have the 17-55 and LOVE that lens. Either of the two would be a great lens.

For a zoom, get either the 70-200 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS or 70-200 f2.8L non IS. Depending on how close you want to get to the 2 grand, you can't go wrong with any of these. I think you'd really like the 70-200 f4L IS. It is reported to be the best lens in the 70-200 series for Canon.

Toss in a 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 depending on where you end up within your budget. You can have a lot of fun with the narrow depth of field on either of those lenses. I have the f1.8 an enjoy playing with it.
                      Okay, I've made one decision. I think that I will go with the 70-200 f4L IS instead of the 70-200 f2.8L IS. I just can't seem to justify the extra $$$ when (from what I've been told) I'll get extremely good low-light performance with the 50D/70-200 f4L IS combo as long as I am working at high ISO. Now for the next decision.

In the above post you recommended the 17-40 f4L or the 17-55 f2.8 IS. The first lens is $230 cheaper than the second lens. I guess I'm wondering if there is $230 worth of difference in the two lenses? I don't mind spending the $$$ if I will receive the value in a better lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Full curl View Post
                        X2
                        Agree.

I would go with the 70-200 f/2.8L. You will appreciate the extra stop over the 70-200 f/4. Especially shooting animals in low light or if you put the 1.4 extender on it, which would cause it to lose a stop.

Then I would look at either the 17-40 f/4L or the 17-55 f/2.8. I have the 17-40 f/4L and love it. Sometimes I wish I had the extra stop. The 17-40 is about $650 and the 17-55 is about $1k.

I used to use the 28-135 on a full frame film camera as my walk-around lens. With the cropped bodies of the 30D, 40D and 50D it is not wide enough. The only time I put it on my 30D is when my wife uses it.

Pick up a 50mm f1.8 also. It is a great, inexpensive lens.

Mike

Comment

WOOO HOOO! Just got my 700-200 f4L IS in. Can't wait to try it out.

Now time to order my 17-55 f2.8 IS.

Then, well, I get the feeling that it won't end anytime soon.

Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

Congrats Rdrdrfan!!! Yes you started out right and yes you have just tested the water.....the madness is now on!

I'm a little late in posting but I would like to chime in on the Canon 50D if I may.

Previously, before the 50D was released, emphasis on a lens within the F/2.8 or better aperture performance zone, was literally the only way to snag low light shots. But after shooting my 50D for a couple of weeks, using f/4 or higher settings (test mode), using my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Lens, I've come to the conclusion this new Canon has raised the bar. You can get away with low light murder shooting a 50D!

Here's what I mean.

Camera: Canon EOS 50D
                            Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
                            Aperture: f/4.5
                            Focal Length: 18 mm
                            ISO Speed: 400
                            Handheld with no Image Stabilization

My 2nd generation Canon DSLR, D350 XT, would have absolutely choked with this same shot configuration. I would have been forced to use a tripod or push the ISO up to 800+ and pray....and that doesn't factor in potential graininess within that final pic.

Sure I would love to own a bunch of high speed lenses...across a broad spectrum like everyone else but.....low light performance is gaining new ground within Canon's Digic 4 Processor's world. You might find shooting a 50D just may relieve some low light stress within your current lens collection.
                            Last edited by AtTheWall; 01-08-2009, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X