Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default 2011 Polaris Ranger Diesel Tires

Im needing some new tires and im curious how big I can go with stock suspension, no lift? My buddy said 28's shouldnt rub, and that I could run 11" wide tires all the way around with no problem. Anybody done this?

Also, what tires do yall suggest? Im looking at Essex Surefoot or Essex T-Hawk. Both are kevlar tires which should hold up to the hill country rocks and thorns pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I recently bought a set of Sedona Rock-a-Billy tires and they have been great in the rocks and no punctures so far.

https://www.sedonatires.com/product/rock-a-billy/212400

I don't think you can run 28's on the front without forward A arms.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Those are some good looking tires.

If thats right about the a-arms, thats good to know. I wamt to go as big as possible without any extra mods.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

see my just now posted UTV tires
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
Im needing some new tires and im curious how big I can go with stock suspension, no lift? My buddy said 28's shouldnt rub, and that I could run 11" wide tires all the way around with no problem. Anybody done this?

Also, what tires do yall suggest? Im looking at Essex Surefoot or Essex T-Hawk. Both are kevlar tires which should hold up to the hill country rocks and thorns pretty well.

Who told you that? I had 28's on that last mule. They rubbed even with a lift. I doubt you can run those without a lift. I think the rtv we're running now has 26's or 7's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushon View Post
Who told you that? I had 28's on that last mule. They rubbed even with a lift. I doubt you can run those without a lift. I think the rtv we're running now has 26's or 7's

A guy at work thats pretty big into em. He customizes them all the time. I dont know if they will work or not. Right now it has 26's, but I want more clearance. If I have to put a 2" lift I will, but I dont want if I can get by without it.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
A guy at work thats pretty big into em. He customizes them all the time. I dont know if they will work or not. Right now it has 26's, but I want more clearance. If I have to put a 2" lift I will, but I dont want if I can get by without it.

10-4. Try it without and see. Might save a buck

Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
10-4. Try it without and see. Might save a buck

Im going to if I get a good deal on wheels. I have 12" wheels now, and hardly anybody makes a 28" tire for 12" wheels. Biggest is 27's. Which im cool with if I dont find a good deal. My buddy is friends with a guy that runs an atv shop and is seeing if he has some takeoffs for a good price.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

And if I do end up buying wheels, I am going to look into those bfgoodrich mud tires that Kuma started a thread about. Pretty good idea really. Going with truck tires really opens up your options.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Anybody else with insight on running 28's up front on factory suspension or a recommendation on tires for the hill country?

Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Personally, I’d run 27”tires and play it safe from rubbing. If you really want 28s, get a suspension lift for the added clearance.

As for the street tire on utv, would be great to drive around pavement roads. But when I need a true off-road tire, nothing will beat a tractor treaded 10 ply tire.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico

I have a 2011 gas ranger and i had to get a lift bracket made to fit 27” tires. I tried getting by without the lift, but the tires rubbed way to much when turning. 26” tites are your limit on the stock setup from my experience.
texas shag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
Personally, I’d run 27”tires and play it safe from rubbing. If you really want 28s, get a suspension lift for the added clearance.

As for the street tire on utv, would be great to drive around pavement roads. But when I need a true off-road tire, nothing will beat a tractor treaded 10 ply tire.
What do you mean when you say tractor treaded? Like an aggressive utv tire? And where did you find a 10 ply? 8 ply is about the best ive seen with any selection that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
I have a 2011 gas ranger and i had to get a lift bracket made to fit 27” tires. I tried getting by without the lift, but the tires rubbed way to much when turning. 26” tites are your limit on the stock setup from my experience.
Good to know. The body lift is only $175, if I need to I will just put it on. Because when we go to Camp Wood there are some really big rocks. My 26's cause me to bottom out a few times this year. I dont want to do that again.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

I put some Kanati Mongrels on my Ranger EV. They have been great in all types of terrain and are a 10 ply.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Sorry, meant to say tractor style tread (589 style).

Also put multiseal in utv tires, stuff works awesome!

QUOTE=BURTONboy;13157151]What do you mean when you say tractor treaded? Like an aggressive utv tire? And where did you find a 10 ply? 8 ply is about the best ive seen with any selection that is.

Good to know. The body lift is only $175, if I need to I will just put it on. Because when we go to Camp Wood there are some really big rocks. My 26's cause me to bottom out a few times this year. I dont want to do that again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
I put some Kanati Mongrels on my Ranger EV. They have been great in all types of terrain and are a 10 ply.
GBC does make some nice tires. They are on my short list of options. Thanks for the input

Old 02-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #17
Dushon
Ten Point

A little google studying says 28's fit, but rub when you're turned all the way and have any flex on your ranger. I'd just lift it and be done with it. Can't be hard. Bring it to the ranch

Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
A little google studying says 28's fit, but rub when you're turned all the way and have any flex on your ranger. I'd just lift it and be done with it. Can't be hard. Bring it to the ranch

In a stock sized tire, which is wider, they rub. I'm reading that if you do truck tires, like he suggested, you can get away with it. These would be more narrow and might clear? I'd sure like to borrow one of Kumathebears to put on my Ranger before I run off and buy them.

I'm struggling to figure all this out for my 2011 Ranger Crew before making the leap to truck tires.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
In a stock sized tire, which is wider, they rub. I'm reading that if you do truck tires, like he suggested, you can get away with it. These would be more narrow and might clear? I'd sure like to borrow one of Kumathebears to put on my Ranger before I run off and buy them.

I'm struggling to figure all this out for my 2011 Ranger Crew before making the leap to truck tires.

What's the advantage of truck tires? Just getting a skinnier size so they clear? I'd rather have the more aggressive utv tires

Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #20
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

I just checked and mine at 26x10 on 12" wheels. They don't rub but I doubt I can run a 27" unless it was more narrow. But Your machine may have a little more clearance than mine.

Before going with these Mongrels I researched tons! Almost went the truck tire route. I think the tires designed for UTVs have more " bounce" and act as part of the suspension, or are responsible for part of the smooth ride. I think you would lose some of that with a truck tire. But that's just my opinion. If I were running mainly on roads I'd look harder at a truck tire, but I don't run many roads.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
What's the advantage of truck tires? Just getting a skinnier size so they clear? I'd rather have the more aggressive utv tires

Ride and longevity mainly. I don't do a lot of mudding in mine. I'm on hard pack roads, hard sand, etc in south Texas. I don't need that aggressive of a tire. I use it in the neighborhood on pavement at times too. If you need the aggressive tire, the UTV tires are the way to go. A mud terrain would suit me fine.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #22
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Ride and longevity mainly. I don't do a lot of mudding in mine. I'm on hard pack roads, hard sand, etc in south Texas. I don't need that aggressive of a tire. I use it in the neighborhood on pavement at times too. If you need the aggressive tire, the UTV tires are the way to go. A mud terrain would suit me fine.

Ya I bet truck tires would last a really long time. I work the crap out of that kubota rtv. Need the knobbies to get through muddy roads