Remington Action Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington Action Question

I am going to have a left handed 7mm-08 built for my wife. I want a stock Remington 700 action to start with. I know I need a short action, but can someone provide me with a list of gun calibers that I can buy, and simply re-barrel into a 7mm-08? Is a short action a short action, or are there differences I need to pay attention to? Thanks.

Yes a short action is a short action with Remington. There are different bolt face models. With the 7mm-08 you will need the standard bolt face model (.473").
    Last edited by sendit; 01-29-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

308 And 243 are the first 2 off the top of my head which would have the correct boltface. As stated above a short action is a short action. The boltface is what determines calibers it'll work with.

Comment

Thanks guys. With that info, I found this list online. This helps a ton. Now, if anyone has a left handed action that would work, I would be interested in buying!

Short actions with a bolt face .Dia of .473 +/-
        225 Winchester
        22/250 Remington
        6mm Norma BR
        243 Winchester
        250 Savage
        260 Remington
        6.5/284 Norma
        7/08 Remington
        284 Winchester
        300 Savage
        308 Winchester
        338 Federal
        35 Remington
        358 Winchester
        6 & 6.5 Creedmoor
        6.5 Lapua
        6XC

Comment

I would suggest hitting places like gun broker and Guns of America.

Who's building your rifle? They can likely source the action for you and at a competitive price or better than what you're going to pay.

Most people look for a cheap beater gun for a donor. If you're looking for a short or long action there's thousands to choose from. If it's a lefty,....NOT so many.

BTW-I love the choice of a 7-08. Seems with the 6.5 popularity it's been largely forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Who's building your rifle? They can likely source the action for you and at a competitive price or better than what you're going to pay.

Most people look for a cheap beater gun for a donor. If you're looking for a short or long action there's thousands to choose from. If it's a lefty,....NOT so many.

BTW-I love the choice of a 7-08. Seems with the 6.5 popularity it's been largely forgotten.
            I built my wife's 7mm-08 off of a Academy M700 ADL that had a rebate and the cost was about $300. Just used the action.

Bought a RH LA action for a build here last year here and just trying to get the time to mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Hill Country Rifles will be building the gun. I will ask if they can find a left handed action for me at a decent price.

Comment

Hill Country Rifle is great
                dad and I have matching rifles from those guys and they've been amazing
                got them the year HCR opened

Comment

Contact Cajun Blake. He always has a source for components.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                    Hill Country Rifles
                    at a decent price.
                    I'd start looking

Comment

Hill Country Rifles will be building the gun. I will ask if they can find a left handed action for me at a decent price.
                      You will find it cheaper looking on your own. If you buy through a builder they generally dont give you components at cost unless you know someone.

Comment

brownells, grabagun and PTG sell just the actions. You will have to have the action shipped to the FFL though.

With that said depending on what you are going to the action accurizing the action you may be better off starting with a custom action for not that much more and have a much nicer finished product.

Comment

Good luck getting anything done even close to reasonable at HCR. Order a new one from buds or something.

Comment

I think sendit had the best idea if Academy sells lefty actions. When they run that sale with a Remy rebate it's hard to beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok it's officially heading that way. You can build a full blown custom for $500 less than an hcr rem 700 based rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X