Frustrated with the VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated with the VA

So it appears since I was in the Army Reserves and never was active service, and since I was in for less than 2 years I am S.O.L.

During basic I hurt my left foot twice, which lead to my discharge. Fast forward 20 years and I have had 5 foot surgeries and a knee surgery from problems that are related from the injuries I sustained in basic.

So if I jump through a whole lot of hoops, and if the local V.A. agrees that my current problems are associated with the injuries sustained 20 years ago then I'll get a small check every month, but no medical help at all which is what I need.

Sorry guys, I am just very frustrated at all of this.

I would suggest calling the DAV if you haven't yet. They might be able to assist you and offer some suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-paul View Post
      i would suggest calling the dav if you haven't yet. They might be able to assist you and offer some suggestions.

dav?

Comment

We invite everyone, veterans and civilian, men and women, young and old, to join us. Find a DAV Office or Volunteer to Help Veterans and the Disabled American Veterans Charity.

They will be your advocate to the VA.

Comment

This should make your blood boil....

It's Not Disney World--The VA Scandal Two Years Later
          Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
          Two years ago, Americans were horrified to learn that as many as 1,000 of our nation’s veterans had died while waiting for medical care at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. Any hopes of reforming the dysfunctional VA culture were dashed two days ago when Secretary Robert McDonald made an appalling comparison to waiting in line at Disney parks.
          McDonald said, “When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? What’s important is, what’s your satisfaction with the experience.”
          McDonald’s shockingly tone deaf and calloused statement has already prompted calls for his resignation. That couldn’t come soon enough.
          Today, nearly half a million veterans still wait to see a VA doctor. According to USA Today, more than 480,000 veterans were waiting more than 30 days for an appointment.

This week, our organization at OpenTheBooks.com released the study, The VA Scandal Two Years Later. Our new VA salary/bonus data and analysis shows that while long wait times persisted, the VA added 39,454 new positions to their payroll between 2012-2015. Fewer than 1 in 11 of these new positions (3,591) were ‘Medical Officers,’ i.e. doctors. Sick veterans can’t get an appointment, because there just aren’t enough doctors.

During this period, $99.1 billion in salaries and bonuses flowed to 354,960 VA employees.
          So who at the VA is receiving how much, for what type of work, and where are they located? We mapped the latest compensation data by employee and job title to local VA center ZIP codes across America. Search the salaries and bonuses at your local VA medical center here.
          Here is what the latest VA employment and spending data shows:
          • Last year, even after ‘reforms’ were instituted, we found that one of every two bonuses continued to flow to the same people who collected bonuses during the scandal. Read our Forbes column, The VA Scandal One Year Later (5/2015).
          • The VA lawyered-up during the scandal – adding 175 more lawyers (2012-2015) - spending $454.4 million on ‘General Attorney’ salaries and bonuses. With 1,060 lawyers on staff, the VA now has more lawyers than all but the fourteen largest private law firms in the USA.
          • In an attempt to improve its image, the VA has spent $99.4 million was spent on ‘Public Affairs’ (PR) salaries and bonuses since 2012. In 2015, the VA employed a PR corps of 304 officers – up from 262 officers in 2012.
          • In 1996, the VA had zero police officers with arrest and firearm authorization. By 2008, the VA employed 3,175 officers and, by 2015, more than 3,700 VA personnel had arrest and firearm authority. Nearly $2 million was spent on riot helmets, defender shields, body armor, a “milo return fire cannon system,” armored mobile shields, Kevlar blankets, tactical gear and equipment for crowd control.

Comment

Isn't basic training considered active duty?

Comment

Another thing. If the VA finds that the injury was service connected they might cover medical for that injury only. However, if I am not mistaken, you have to have been on active for 180 days or more to be qualified for veterans benefits. Don't know for sure.

Comment

Do you have your medical records from BCT, as well as your training packet? I know it was some time ago. However, you can also contact the National Records Archive to get whatever paperwork is out there. WWW.ARCHIVES.GOV

Best of luck in your search. Did you ever receive counseling from cadre pertaining to sick call, etc? Paperwork like that, in leiu of medical records can also help substantiate your case. Keep at it. If you were discharged, for medical reasons, from BCT, that should cover the lack of ADT. I had some soldiers fail BCT for medical reasons, and as long as the discharge papers were for medical, said condition was covered. Unless they got discharge paperwork stating other reasons, which almost happened to a couple as well.

Comment

91cavgt--sent you a PM--hope it helps-

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                    So it appears since I was in the Army Reserves and never was active service, and since I was in for less than 2 years I am S.O.L.

During basic I hurt my left foot twice, which lead to my discharge. Fast forward 20 years and I have had 5 foot surgeries and a knee surgery from problems that are related from the injuries I sustained in basic.

So if I jump through a whole lot of hoops, and if the local V.A. agrees that my current problems are associated with the injuries sustained 20 years ago then I'll get a small check every month, but no medical help at all which is what I need.

Sorry guys, I am just very frustrated at all of this.

How did you hurt your foot if you don't mind my asking?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                      How did you hurt your foot if you don't mind my asking?
                      I don't know exactly. It probably had something to do with my size at the time (112 pounds soaking wet holding a brick) and carrying 75 pounds of gear on the road marches.

Comment

VA is tough, all I can say is keep trying. I did all my paperwork through the Texas Veteran Commission at the VA hospital in Austin. I like you have shot knees and ankles for being on jump status most of my career. Ended up with 3 injuries at 10% and 2 injuries at 0% with the note for further evaluation at later date.

Talk to the TVC and see if they can help. Make sure you have all your paperwork and medical records. I had all the docs and it still took over a year for VA to come back with an answer.

Comment

Hillary going to fix you up. Not

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                            Another thing. If the VA finds that the injury was service connected they might cover medical for that injury only. However, if I am not mistaken, you have to have been on active for 180 days or more to be qualified for veterans benefits. Don't know for sure.
                            I think it's active duty for 180 days not counting Basic or AIT. I was in National Guard for 7 years. I did get the reduced GI Bill when I was in college and used the Texas Veterans Land Board once. Other than those I'm not considered a vet.

Comment

Thank you to everyone that have suggestions and support. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X