Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    yessir and it was well deserved.
    I was not insulted at all. Good to see you have an appreciation for hardwoods.

Comment

What to expect is contingent upon what phase they are in. On the place I had been on for the last five years is saw varying degrees of logging. They may selective cut, cut wind rows, thin or clear cut. It can be a blessing if they get in early enough because as previously mentioned a bunch of new browse will pop up and the deer love it. Just hate it when they are in there right at the beginning of the season or during. Our guys were good, they would clear areas for food plots and move piles around if you could catch them.

Comment

A few years ago I showed up for my first afternoon hunt, believe it was the second weekend of bow season, to find the place looking unrecognizable. We'd had the place for a few years at this point and there had never been any logging done. I put my bow down and walked past the guys working to see what everything looked like. My ground blind was sitting on the very tip of a tiny row of trees, not sure how they didn't destroy it. One of the guys said they logged my camera tree and were nice enough to keep it on top of a pile.

I was pretty discouraged to say the least, but like mentioned above, as soon as the growth started coming back there were deer everywhere.

Comment

When I lived in Alabama had a friend whose lease was getting logged during deer season. Couple of the guys working told him they saw a big buck after the shut off all their equipment for the day and one of the workers had to come back to pick up something he forgot. So the next day my buddy shows up just after 4pm when the loggers left, he climbed up on a skidder and about 4:30 shot one of the biggest bucks of his life.

Comment

I buy timber and log so this is everyday for me. 99% of the loggers are trying to do the best job they can. We get tired of being accused of every theft in a 3 county area when we show up. Activity will attract activity. Open gates and new road give access to the curious. The harvest plan will dictate what there is to work with. 1st thin will make you happy, final harvest maybe not. Good luck

Comment

More good information. Thanks ya’ll.

Sounds like the re-growth will be a good thing. Sounds like I will just have to work with what is left over and make it into something that draws them back in.

Hoping it is a blessing in disguise, like previously mentioned and the extremely overgrown underbrush being taken down is a side benefit of it.

Thank you,
              J

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
                I buy timber and log so this is everyday for me. 99% of the loggers are trying to do the best job they can. We get tired of being accused of every theft in a 3 county area when we show up. Activity will attract activity. Open gates and new road give access to the curious. The harvest plan will dictate what there is to work with. 1st thin will make you happy, final harvest maybe not. Good luck
                Thanks man. I am sure you guys get a bad rap from a small group of A holes.

How long would it take your outfit to complete a 200~ acre area going for only Pines and Sweet Gums, with them being not super tight? I know, probably a lot more information needed, but a guess between very light to super thick area?

Thank you,
                J

Comment

I talked to the loggers at our lease last year. Super nice guys. The tree cutter actually thinned out an area exactly how I suggested would be good for a setup. Shooting lanes, food plot areas, etc. Most loggers are hunters too and they’re all just trying to do a job and make a living.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                    I talked to the loggers at our lease last year. Super nice guys. The tree cutter actually thinned out an area exactly how I suggested would be good for a setup. Shooting lanes, food plot areas, etc. Most loggers are hunters too and they’re all just trying to do a job and make a living.
                    I will definitely need to try and get there when they start. Might be good to be able to get them to make some better lanes and stuff.

J

Comment

Won’t have any affect on the hunting. You could sit in the set while they are there and shoot deer if it was during deer season.

Comment

What are they using the sweet gums for?

Comment

How long it would take to log a tract depends as much on getting trucks and unloaded. 200 acres will be over 200 loads on a thinning. 1-2 months WAG. Sweet gum will make pulp, worth more than pine, or log material if big enough. If you can catch them out there I bet they will work with you. I can't say a cold 6 pack might help, against the rules.

Comment

That's amazing on the gum trees... Heck when I was a kid, the timber companies girdled all the gum trees, and heck hardwoods sometimes so it would die and be easier to push over and burn... To think a sweet gum would be worth more than a big ol' pine is hard for this GOF to wrap his head around!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              That's amazing on the gum trees... Heck when I was a kid, the timber companies girdled all the gum trees, and heck hardwoods sometimes so it would die and be easier to push over and burn... To think a sweet gum would be worth more than a big ol' pine is hard for this GOF to wrap his head around!
                              From what I was told, the sweet gum is easier to turn into usable pulp because the wood is so much lighter in color, it doesn’t need to be bleached as much as pine. Can’t confirm that, but that’s what I was told anyway.

Comment

My best seasons have been after the lease was logged. I always take as much of my stuff off the land as possible while it's being cut. This way, the loggers and I don't have to worry about anything getting damaged. If they clear cut, they will leave a "water line" along creeks. Set up a stand along there, as deer will use this as their primary travel (this has been my experience). Since it sounds like this is more of a select cut, just get in there as soon as they're done and clean shooting lanes and food plot areas. This way the woods will have time to settle down before season. I don't think the loggers intentionally leave a message, but they aren't making money while they're cleaning your spot up, so they likely will not do it. After season is over, get in there and clean up things a little better. If not, after the new growth comes in next spring, you will need heavy equipment to clean it up next season.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X