Using Fishing Arrow For Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Fishing Arrow For Hunting

I've played with fletching up a fishing arrow a time or two over the years but have never followed thru with trying to hunt with one. I know that its been done. I cannot remember the guys name but he shot a 90 lb long bow and killed a cape buffalo with it.

I have not shot it through my chrono and I need to figure out how to weigh it as it pegs out my scale.

The idea is if the deer is not looking the bow would hopefully shoot quietly enough because of the arrow weight that the deer would not hear the shot and jump the string. The arrow weight should allow the arrow to bust through.

Have any of your guys tried this?

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
    I've played with fletching up a fishing arrow a time or two over the years but have never followed thru with trying to hunt with one. I know that its been done. I cannot remember the guys name but he shot a 90 lb long bow and killed a cape buffalo with it.

I have not shot it through my chrono and I need to figure out how to weigh it as it pegs out my scale.

The idea is if the deer is not looking the bow would hopefully shoot quietly enough because of the arrow weight that the deer would not hear the shot and jump the string. The arrow weight should allow the arrow to bust through.

Have any of your guys tried this?
    I believe that was Monte Browning.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
      I believe that was Monte Browning.
      Yep. Monty Browning. I even have a picture of him in my man cave back at home.

Comment

I'm not sure why you would want to do it?

Practicing with a fish arrow wouldn't be all that fun.

Why not make a really heavy carbon arrow and call it a day.

Comment

Yep. Monty Browning. I even have a picture of him in my man cave back at home.
          Several years back at the NC State Trad shoot Monte was the keynote speaker. I was fortunate enough to share a campfire with him until the wee hours of the morning. If you ever get a chance to hear him speak, don't miss it, if you're lucky he will share his Grizzly Bear story with you.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
            I'm not sure why you would want to do it?

Practicing with a fish arrow wouldn't be all that fun.

Why not make a really heavy carbon arrow and call it a day.
            I don't think you can make a carbon as heavy as a fiberglass fish arrow.

The idea is to make an absolutely quiet bow for a 10 yd shot.

Comment

Might try inserting the fish arrow inside an aluminum arrow. This will allow you to straighten the arrow and use broadhead adapters. It would be a great hog arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                Might try inserting the fish arrow inside an aluminum arrow. This will allow you to straighten the arrow and use broadhead adapters. It would be a great hog arrow.
                That sounds like a good idea

Comment

I don't think you can make a carbon as heavy as a fiberglass fish arrow.

The idea is to make an absolutely quiet bow for a 10 yd shot.
                  you are probably correct, I just looked up the weight of fishing arrows and it would be really tough to get to 1400 grains

Comment

Working...
                  X