How do you trad rabbit hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you trad rabbit hunt?

Can you guys tell me the secrets to a trad rabbit hunt? Every place I have gone except one the rabbits are running 100 MPH and never give you a shot. What is the secret to getting a shot? Is it the time of day? Am I moving too fast?

I assume my dogs are out since they keep the rabbits running.

maybe moving too fast....it's been my experience that they will typically hold in/under the brush if you don't push them too hard. I'm originally from the Southern Plains and some of my favorite and most productive hunts were in old farm equipment yards/dumps.

trad hunting bunnies is a fun time.....good luck and post some pics!

Comment

I do most of my rabbit hunting at night after I hog hunt. They're really dumb at night, the last three have run directly toward me.

Comment

Move slow and act like you dont see them...... really don't look right at them u ntil you are ready to shoot. If they think they are hide, they will hold in cover.
        Love shooting rabbits
        Click image for larger version

Name:	RABBITS_2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	24285624

Comment

I need to try this. I am use to busting through the brush with my dogs and a shotgun. I guess it is a long quiet stalk.

Comment

I've taken a gun out and gotten into bow range, I've taken a bow out, and can't find a rabbit one! I'm hoping for better luck next time.

Are blunt point's enough from a 45# bow on a rabbit, or do I need a small game point?

Comment

Even if bust them out of their beds, circle back around after about 20-30 minutes, they don't go very far, on your way back slow down scour the bushes good he's in there somewhere.

Comment

Anybody use flu-flu's for rabbits. I have some wood flu-flu's made up with Magnus small game points. I hate to use my expensive carbons on rabbits. I'll be in south Texas next week.

Comment

I watch out the back window and when I see them I go out the front door and sneak around the house.

Comment

A rabbit will always come back the same way he went. Be patient and if you have pine trees there, they will bed up next to the trees in the straw. Shot many of them in the bed with a .22 pistol.
                    Shot my Uncles favorite beagle doing this.(that's another story)

Comment

You might try using just one dog. I have one old slow beagle left, used to have a pack, the rabbit gets far enough ahead that he usually slips back to the jump site, plenty of chances for a slow or still shot (killed plenty in front of her with a shotgun).

I haven't bow hunted this way, but I should cause I got the right dog and plenty of rabbits, just haven't had the time lately.

Comment

first rabbits have a bunnie shield..no lie..its an invisible protective bubble around em...mostly works on arrows but occasionally on other projectiles...lol...no really ..its there.
                        move slow ..they rely on their camo and if ya see em in a field,they will usually let ya get within 15 yrds or so..and dont look em in the eye... they get all sasquatchy if you do...ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail...death awaits with big nast pointed teeth!!! lol...i think they are probably the best archery practice you can get...and....they are edible!!!

Comment

If you don't make eye contact with them, then they think you don't see them. If you are stalking them, they will sense it and think you want to kill them. They are gone!

Comment

Comment

ROTFLMAO, SOME GOOD ADVICE RIGHT THERE, live to hunt,

Comment

Working...
                              X