speed vs weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed vs weight

Shooting hoyt spyder 30, 29", 60 #. First arrows, victory vap, 400 spine. 7.1 gpi. Looking at bloodsport impact hunter arrows only available in 350 spine at 10.2 gpi. The bloodsport fs hunter arrows are 7.9 gpi and a Lil larger outside diameter.

my question is this, I like the idea of adding 30 grains to my arrow with the faster/lighter fs hunter, but how much speed would you expect to lose by shooting a 10 gpi arrow out of a 60# bow? Do you speed freaks hunt with a lighter arrow or do you like throwing bricks At critters?

I like the animal to feel it when I shoot them. Brick for me. Easton Axis 340 for hunting and Flatlines for target.

Comment

I use a brick at 240 rather than a feather at 320. Quieter and works for me.

Comment

HS physics will get you close enough. Force = 1/2 mass x velocity squared. Or velocity = square root of 2 x force / mass. Assume the bow applies the same force on both arrows. Change in velocity then equals the square root of 1/ change in mass. Going from 7.2 to 10.1 gpi is a 40% increase in weight. Square root of 1/.4 is about 1.6 so divide whatever speed you get with the 7.2 gpi arrows by 1.6 to get the speed of the 10.2 gpi arrows.

Comment

I like to throw a big brick with a good amount of speed! 560 grains and 270 fps!

Comment

I've got a brand new 6 pack of the FPS hunter arrows I'll make you a deal on.
            I shoot the Impacts or Bloodsport 1's

Comment

620 grain arrows here

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

I shoot between 6-7gpp and IMO thats the happy balance of it all!

Comment

Originally posted by WKH2213 View Post
                  I've got a brand new 6 pack of the FPS hunter arrows I'll make you a deal on.
                  I shoot the Impacts or Bloodsport 1's
                  Will keep that in mind when I order the impacts. Think i am sold on the heavier arrow. Might take you up on that offer and get them both though.thx

Comment

A good rule of thumb is 2fps/10gr speed change. this will vary a little depending on the capability of each bow.

Comment

I am shooting about a 380 grain arrow out of 63lbs. On deer, it zips right through. I don't see the need for all the weight if you are getting pass throughs unless you hit something solid such as bone. A heavier arrow may shoot slightly quieter out of your bow, but the lighter arrow will be more forgiving on yardage. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Comment

I've killed whitetails with arrows weighing 320 grains up to about 650 grains. They both had 2 things in common. They all got passthrus 99.9% of the time. And I killed 99% of the deer I shot. The 650's did bury themselves an inch or so deeper on the dirt tho after passthrus.

Comment

There have been many debates on this subject and in the end it seems to be personal preference. I like overkill and I use a heavy arrow. 600gr with a Huge fixed head. Way more than is needed for whitetail but I lessen the margin for error with an almost 2" cut. Deer and Hogs are lucky to go more than 30 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
                            I am shooting about a 380 grain arrow out of 63lbs. On deer, it zips right through. I don't see the need for all the weight if you are getting pass throughs unless you hit something solid such as bone. A heavier arrow may shoot slightly quieter out of your bow, but the lighter arrow will be more forgiving on yardage. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

I shoot the GT Velocity Pro's 5575 27.25" with Slick Tricks @ 60 lbs. from my Helim (black bow) and pass through on every hog and deer I have shot this year. Two larger boars and a large sow, the little piggies don't count. My Helim is Black and everyone knows that Black bows are badder than camo.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Bricks hurt, feathers don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X