Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Deeeer Greenscreen.....

I am leaving this evening to meet a group at my deer lease (2nd year member) to hunt deer with Walker Beagle hunting dogs on Saturday morning, the opening day of gun season in Arkansas (where I am part of a hunting club).

I am extremely torn, and feel that I recognize the ethical boundary of this type of hunting, but also understand that this is when most of the "meat" deer are taken each year.

I have already decided that I will be participatiing this year, and I am not asking to be chastised, but more interested in the general opinion of this type of hunting. The dog owner is 65 y/o, and has been breeding this string of dogs since he was a 10 y/o Arkansas boy (his words....).

What does the green screen think about hunting deer over a pack of dogs, that have been bred (for 3 generations) to not only chase deer but drive them towards the hunting party stationed out in front of hounds.

Never been a fan of "Hunting" by running dogs. It's an extremely unfair and successful method that I would only think would be needed in a famine or serious survival situation. I know that if I harvested a deer with that method I wouldn't feel too proud or that I accomplished anything. Just my 2 pesos

Comment

I grew hunting in Arkansas and have seen dogs running deer on my property. I never hunted with dogs but have killed deer that someone else dog ran past me. I think it is just another way to hunt. It is a tradition and legal. Nothing wrong with it at all in my eyes. I think it would be an exciting hunt

Comment

It's a very effective way to kill a deer. Grew up in East Texas hunting that way until it was illegal. My family pretty much killed every deer around. If we saw a track we got excited and put the dogs on them. Sometimes I miss those days, but it's nice to actually have deer in the woods now.

Comment

I personally have done it and Have no problem with it. I know several old timers who quit hunting when they outlawed it in Texas. They don’t see the sport in shooting one over a pile of corn or a feeder. To each their own. Have a good time.

Comment

wow...I'm surprised at the responses so far, and REALLY appreciate the encouragement. I'm 50 years old, and have been hunting in Texas my whole life.

I am having a hard time with this, but the positive feedback really does take some of the stress off of my decision.

Good luck to you all, and keep the comments coming, as I'm interested in hearing the opinions.

Comment

A shotgun with buckshot was the weapon on choice back then. Keep us posted on your hunt

Comment

You’ll have a big time! There’s nothing quite like hearing the dogs turn your way on a hot race. It got outlawed in our zone (3) when the out of state retirees moved in. It was a blast and we miss it. You might want to carry a shotgun with buckshot instead of a rifle, depending on what you’re hunting in.

Contrary to some of the previous posts, it’s not super efficient and the deer will run where they’ll run. Dogs can’t make a deer run a certain direction. I’ll go out on a limb here and say it’s a little more difficult and fun than shooting a deer over a bait pile.

Comment

I remember going as a kid once, the group my dad was with (his first time hunting with them) peppered a yearling doe about 8 or 9 times before actually killing it. She was bloody from head to toe. We never did that again. I think if done right it could be a lot more ethical than what I saw, but if it's ok to run pigs and catch them with dogs what's the difference? Also from what I've read about where it is still legal most of your older mature deer are smart enough to bed down and let the dogs pass them by or circle back, most of the deer killed are younger deer.

Comment

Originally posted by LennyWayne View Post
                    wow...I'm surprised at the responses so far, and REALLY appreciate the encouragement. I'm 50 years old, and have been hunting in Texas my whole life.

I am having a hard time with this, but the positive feedback really does take some of the stress off of my decision.

Good luck to you all, and keep the comments coming, as I'm interested in hearing the opinions.
                    Don’t stress or feel guilty. Just a different way to hunt. Those dogs had to be trained to do this. You all have to setup correctly and safely. Still have to have a deer come by you and make a shot. It could be fast paced and I bet you enjoy it. People can find a way to judge any type of hunting.

Comment

My grandfather raised running Walkers (foxhounds) in Alabama.
                      I enjoyed watching them and man, it was exciting hunting.
                      Those dogs were incredible.
                      I'd go, you don't have to pull the trigger to be better for the experience.

Comment

I am not interested in hunting any big game with dogs, not even bears or mountain lions. But I am all for it if someone else wants to. Have fun and I hope you fill your freezer! I believe as hunters we need to support legal methods even if we don't like it. I despise trapping but recognize it is a viable form of pest and predator control so I support the right of those that enjoy trapping. Heck many gun only hunters think bowhunting is cruel. If we keep turning on each we won't need PETA or anti-hunters to ruin our beloved past time, we will do it ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                          You’ll have a big time! There’s nothing quite like hearing the dogs turn your way on a hot race. It got outlawed in our zone (3) when the out of state retirees moved in. It was a blast and we miss it. You might want to carry a shotgun with buckshot instead of a rifle, depending on what you’re hunting in.

Contrary to some of the previous posts, it’s not super efficient and the deer will run where they’ll run. Dogs can’t make a deer run a certain direction. I’ll go out on a limb here and say it’s a little more difficult and fun than shooting a deer over a bait pile.

I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)

Comment

Unless someone is hunting naked and strangling deer with his bare hands, they can't say **** about any legal tool choice someone else uses.

And as far as I know, Leon and maybe Burnadell are the only ones on the TBH that can do that...
                            so .. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Comment

This thread is bringing back memories. I hope you have a great time. There's nothing like hearing those dogs headed your direction knowing a deer is about to bust out of the woods!

Comment

Working...
                              X