Weekend Brisket lets see them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post

Would you be willing to share your recipe for preferred brisket size, smoke temp, to foil or not to foil, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
      No HEB in Dallas . Hopefully I don’t have to find a speciality meat market.

Chops - what electric smoker are you using? I have a simple masterbuilt that I learned on. My next big purchase will be a 36 inch blackstone griddle, followed by a sous vide.

After those I’ll be buying a new smoker. Debating between switching from electric to gas/wood.
      Costco stocks USDA Prime brisket. Worth the membership just for that one item.

Comment

Already ate mine, so this is the best I can show you what it looks like now
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Already ate mine, so this is the best I can show you what it looks like now

Nice bark and smoke ring... Looks like Perkins BBQ....

Comment

I didn't take a single pic of mine, but years ago we used to cook briskets on an old smokey... We'd start with about 3 layers of foil on the bottom as we wrapped. "Rub" was 2 packets of Lipton Onion Soup mix, pour in 1 bottle Worcestershire Sauce, and a bottle of "Squeeze Parkay", then finish the wrap while a big ol fire is going in the Old Smokey. Once the fire is mostly all charcoal, put the brisket on the top grate fat side up (pretty well trimmed), cover with the lid of the Old Smokey then head out for the afternoon hunt... come back in at dark, fire would be pretty much out with all the charcoal burned up. Brisket would be hot, tender and moist... I hadn't done one of those in years, but that's what I did yesterday... Used my stick burner which has a grill in the firebox for steaks. Put it on at 6:00 AM, pulled it at 11:00 AM and let it rest sitting on my griddle. did a Dutch oven blackberry cobbler, and roasted corn ears after I pulled the brisket with some additional wood charcoal... We had a feast about 1:00!! I'd forgotten just how good those camp style briskets are!! Sliced it up more like chopping one, heated some of those burrito size big ol flour tortillas, made pico-de gallo... MAN IT WAS GOOD!!

Comment

Oic of last one I did.
              Attached Files

Comment

From this past weekend
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	24540167

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                    That is a beautiful pan of meat right there!!

Comment

This is the only picture I have of mine. I give my buddy the burnt ends and took a picture to show him.

Comment

I wrap at 150-160, pull at 195, and let it rest. And it is dry and tough every time. What am I doing wrong guys?

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                          Would you be willing to share your recipe for preferred brisket size, smoke temp, to foil or not to foil, etc?

Smart pretty much nails it on his procedure.

Me and Hoyt Man did this brisket while working on the pit. We didn’t pay too much attention to anything but the temp in the pit and the temp of the meat because we were busy. Lol

I pick out a brisket around 10 or so lbs that will easily bend in half. Temperature probes are a must. I’ll smoke for about 4-5 hours and if the bark looks to be dried out, I’ll sop it with my concoction of Zesty Italian dressing, apple cider vinegar, worstershire, olive oil, butter, and lots of cut up onion. Smoke till meat temp is 165-170 or when it stalls- whatever comes first. Wrap air right in foil, soping one more time before closing her up. Cook wrapped until temp gets right at 200 then take off and put in a small cooler to rest 1-2 hours.

Comment

^^^what kind of brisket are you buying? It looks funny shaped, but maybe just the picture. It also looks like it isn't done at all. 195 where? And why is that the magic number? When you can slide the probe in easily, you will know. Until then, it will be tough if undercooked. Most people that make that think it is dry and tough, pull it way too early. I have had briskets need to be at 202-203 to probe tender. Never know.

Comment

Originally posted by BWDean View Post

I wrap at 150-160, pull at 195, and let it rest. And it is dry and tough every time. What am I doing wrong guys?

Select grade meat? Is that just the flat you buy?

Last edited by Ætheling; 05-29-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                                Select grade meat? Is that just the flat you buy?

Yeah I can’t say for sure what grade it was, probably select is all we can find. That was for a coworker and just the flat. I got the 195 from a tv show. I guess I need to go over 200. The probing til it feels tender makes sense, I’ve just always been worried I’d go to far and I wouldn’t be able to get slices when cooking for competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X