Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The will be shooting nilgai by helicopter at Laguna Atiscosa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The will be shooting nilgai by helicopter at Laguna Atiscosa!

Got this fron the THF

By RICK KELLEY Staff Writer

LOS FRESNOS — Sharpshooters in helicopters will target nilgai antelope at the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge sometime next month.

The helicopter cull of nilgai on Unit 4 in the northern part of the refuge will be the third this year. The first two occurred at the Bahia Grande Unit along the gulf.

“The reason for the aerial harvest is because we’re trying to do our best to help out our rancher neighbors,” refuge manager Boyd Blihovde said last week. “The fever tick has everybody worried that maybe Texas cattle are not going to be accepted in other markets — overseas or in other states.”

Reducing the number of nilgai became a major issue in 2014, when the U.S. Department of Agriculture discovered cattle fever ticks deep inside CameronCounty and established a temporary quarantine area. Nilgai are carriers of the tick.

The refuge finds itself squarely in the middle of the temporary quarantine area zone covering 223,000 acres in CameronCounty. The decision to kill off the nilgai using helicopter gunmen may put the refuge squarely in the crosshairs of Valley sportsmen, who cherish the exotic antelope as a game animal.

more
    Last edited by Palehorse; 05-30-2016, 03:05 PM.

Spray cattle we did it every year.
    Once again let's jump before we think.

Comment

Fine with me. They've already killed a bunch out of bahia grande and Palo Alto and they're still out there.

Not like everyone in the state gets a chance to hunt Laguna anyway. If you can help control a problem by decreasing exotic population, do it.

Comment

I would love to go hunt them, and had planned on doing so. I do not know anything about the severity of the fever tick or the spread. I question whether there are other options of reducing the spread beside killing them by helicopter. I think people would pay to draw hunt them, which would make more money than paying someone to shoot them. Also, do they just rot out there on the ground?, seems wasteful. I also question whether the farmers/cattle owners share some responsibility in the spread/containment through their own cattle, its not just state problem. And has research shown this method as an effective way of decreasing the spread of fever tick, and improving cattle sales?

Im probably just aggravated that I wanted to try and hunt there this year, and they passed new draw system, and are now killing down my chances. I do realize the draw is designed for deer, but the nilgia was an added benefit.

Comment

My gripe is they're not using hunters as the management tool. Lots cheaper to open the refuge for a Nalgai hunting lease and sell 50 spots than hiring helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
            My gripe is they're not using hunters as the management tool. Lots cheaper to open the refuge for a Nalgai hunting lease and sell 50 spots than hiring helicopters.
            yup

Comment

Working...
            X