Bluing a gun- is it doable DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluing a gun- is it doable DIY?

I’ve got a rifle that needs rebluing. How had is it to do myself? I’m assuming there’s special equipment needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely doable yourself but it won’t come out looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every time I hear from people who swear by this or that concoction, and how they did a perfect blue job and it is permanent because it has lasted all of ten minutes.*

Contract out!

Comment

Hot blueing is done professionally. Cold blueing is for touch up. I reblued a Remington Model 11 when I was a kid with some kind of creme and it turned out very well, but I could never find the product again. I did spend hours prepping the metal though, because I had nothing else to do. I wish I still had that gun ( and many others ).

Comment

I am sure it could be done. Metal prep is absolutely the most critical thing to overall outcome. Getting a consistant finish will be difficult on a big job using cold blue.

Depending on the firearm it may be worth the expense to have a professional hot or rust blue it. That's going to be up to you. Hot bluing takes caustic chemicals and heating tanks and isn't that friendly to use.

Cold bluing works ok on smaller things, I make a variety of custom bolt handles for my .22's and Brownell's is what I use on them.

Here's a butterknife handle I made, it's in the white.

Here it is after cold bluing.

Comment

I've never had any issues doing the cold blue and I've done several guns over the years. Biggest thing I've found, as others have said, is to make sure the metal prep is good and clean. OOOO steel wool, fine sandpaper...to get rid of rusty areas. Buff and polish back smooth and flat and clean with something like alcohol to remove any oils from your hands. Wipe on the blue. Do as many coast as you can and it will get darker with each coat. Keep oiled up good for a little while after doing and should be good to go.

Comment

Easy DIY project. There are kits out there that have everything.

Comment

This is what I have used in the liquid. Works good.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                  This is what I have used in the liquid. Works good.
                  https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refin...-Blue-Kit.aspx
                  I agree; works like a champ. Just make sure you buy some 0000 steel wool. You can repeat process as many times as you want to make it darker... One tip, when you are finished use some oil on it and it will help it cure and get even darker.

Comment

ive blued my Remington 700. came out ok. got the kit from academy

Comment

I have blued a couple guns using the cold blue sold at Walmart or Academy. Both guns came out very well but metal preparation is the key. The smother the metal is and the cleaner it is the better the blueing process will come out.

Comment

Midway USA has lots of info on blueing and refinishing guns

Comment

Working...
                        X