Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas
Default Rice bran questions...

Who feeds rice bran? What is the protein content? How do you feed it--in a trough? In a feeder? How much does it cost per ton? Can you get it in Central Texas?

Thanks!
Chance Love is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
AggieHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wharton, Colorado, Lavaca Cty

No experience feeding it, but I probably have some places you can get it from back home. Let me know if you want me to look into it.
AggieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hey Clint! When I get answers to some other questions I may have to get you to track some down.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
hopco.boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Wood Co., Rains Co.

Chance, I have always poured it on the ground. If I remembe right the protein content is in the 10-12% range. Don't quote me on that though. I always used it as an attractant not as a supplement.
hopco.boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Chance if you can't find rice bran in central texas I bet you can find wheat bran and its the same thing only wheat instead of rice.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

If I remember correctly the protien content was 12-14%. We feed cows rice bran out of feeder troughs. Last year we was paying $105 a ton from the rice dryers out of Lissie 2 yrs ago we were paying $90 a ton. This price was non bagged im not sure what they charge to bag it.
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

here in LA you can buy it directly from the rice mill for $50~70 per ton

pretty sure @ 13% protein and 13% fat
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Chance Love
Pope & Young

So is it like a powder?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Longhorn1952
Ten Point

Hunt In: Devine Texas

Used it when I hunted out Carta Valley way and the deer loved it after they got use to it.
Longhorn1952 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Yes it's real fine
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
BowVista
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones Co, McCulloch Co, Kimble, Co

My buddies up in North Louisiana feed it almost as much as corn. Feed stores up there sell it in 50 lb bags, but I haven't been able to find it around here. 9 times out of 10 when I hunted over it when I was in La, the deer walked right past corn, and stuck their nose in the rice bran. My buddies always just poured it out in piles.
BowVista is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
red
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease...

our callahan co. deer walked right past the bran and went to the corn. even the pigs walked past it. they both tested it, but didnt care for it. once the cows found it though....they cleaned it up and fought over the right to lick the dirt where i poured it.
red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
bownutone
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scrappin Valley

I feed deer in the back yard and tried it. it just laid there forever. the deer probably had other foods they liked better at the time.
bownutone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

It's just like flour Chance. I have been playing with it recently at a spot in the river bottoms. I hadn't seen a deer in months down there and when I put out the rice bran, I started getting deer pics almost immediately. The hogs like it too. I've just been putting it on the ground.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
elhefe
Ten Point

I've just used it as an attractant as well. The deer in my area love it.
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Its pretty much all i feed. I dump the enitre sack in a pile. Some people like to make several sall piles but in doing that if it rains the moisture gets all the way to the bottome of the pile and it molds. By making a big pile usually just the top layer gets hard and the deer bust through it for the rest. When i first starting feeding it here about 11 years ago it was $3 for a 50 lb sack. Now is pay $11 per sack. I could get it for about $150 for a super sack which is a ton but i dont have anywhere really dry to keep it plus it tends to draw alot of mice and weavels do didnt want too hold that close to my camp. The deer love it though.
Attached Images

RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
awatsonjr
Banned!!!

It's also made in a pellet.
awatsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Most of the super new attractants are rice bran based. Buck grub, b squared, and the ones you buy at bass pro, academy or cabelas are rice bran based with scents and cracked corn or soybeans added for additional protein. I would bet buck candy is super apple scented rice bran too.

I do not think it would be a good supplemental feeding product, especially to replace protein pellets since it cannot be thrown well without mixing it with something, and free choice feeders won't work with it. But it does work in areas as a quick attractant when dumped out in a pile on the ground.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
trophy8
Pope & Young

chance, texas wildlife supply(i think that is the name) used to sell it for $20 for 50lbs
the place in brady thats makes the blinds and feeders....
i thought about feeding it but i was worried about moisture....
they said it is intended to be in a trough. mainly as an attractant but will proved minimal protien....it is better than nothing and it is cheap, or at least it used to be. i hope that helps you....the owner is who i spoke with at the store, not that goofy guy workin there now that used to work at ace....he is nice just a funny guy lol
the owner was very helpful
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #20
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
chance, texas wildlife supply(i think that is the name) used to sell it for $20 for 50lbs
the place in brady thats makes the blinds and feeders....
i thought about feeding it but i was worried about moisture....
they said it is intended to be in a trough. mainly as an attractant but will proved minimal protien....it is better than nothing and it is cheap, or at least it used to be. i hope that helps you....the owner is who i spoke with at the store, not that goofy guy workin there now that used to work at ace....he is nice just a funny guy lol
the owner was very helpful
I wouldnt say the protein is minimal. It averages 12-16% protein. That is on par with some protein pellets and alot better than corn. IT is also a very good source for fat which deer can use in the dead of winter.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
CM Sackett
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over N. America... S. Texas... and the Brazos area

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
our callahan co. deer walked right past the bran and went to the corn. even the pigs walked past it. they both tested it, but didnt care for it. once the cows found it though....they cleaned it up and fought over the right to lick the dirt where i poured it.
This is the experience of my friends at Freer, as well.
CM Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
I wouldnt say the protein is minimal. It averages 12-16% protein. That is on par with some protein pellets and alot better than corn. IT is also a very good source for fat which deer can use in the dead of winter.
Just what I remember hearing and did not feel the need to gather any more info on it. This stuff seems to be like cotton seed then. I wonder why not many people use it?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #23
wellingtontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

The cheap rice bran is not stabalized and has a shorter shelf life. We have used it with some success. IMO they take to the stabalized a heck of a lot better than the non-stabalized.

We bought some out at Red Chain feeds and they demolished it. The next batch we bought over at the Canton Feed Mill and they wouldnt touch it.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Just what I remember hearing and did not feel the need to gather any more info on it. This stuff seems to be like cotton seed then. I wonder why not many people use it?
They use it a ton here in Louisiana. I think areas close to rice mills such as South east Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas use it the most as it is more readily available and more affordable. Just 10 years ago they couldnt give the stuff away now that it has gained popularity it is expensive. every powder supplement you see at the store is probably 90% ricebran with a few flavors added to it and they sell it for $10-$15 for a 8 lb bag. It was great when it was $3 a bag but now that it is $10-12 for it in my area i may consider soy beans if they go down in price any considering they average 35% protein. That is more than any supplement i know of on the market. I have tried cotton seed on my leae and they wont touch it but it also took me an entire season to get them used to eating rice bran and now 50 lbs. last 2 night maybe in the winter time.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
oneforthewall
Ten Point

Hunt In: WY, CO, NM, TX

It is the main ingredient in products like Cmere Deer. Due to the high fat content you want to get stabilized rice bran or it will get rancid if stored very long. Add some coolaide and deer usually fight over it. I can't find a cheap source up here though......
oneforthewall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

I bought 3 50lb bags in Belton this past season. I poured it out in piles in Waskom in NE TX. NOTHING ever touched it. The remnants of the mildewing piles are still lying there. Some people advised that it was great but I had no luck with it. I'm almost a firm believer that CORN is the best thing that deer in my area will go to. I have even tried salt blocks, livestock blocks and wildlife blocks and NOTHING touches them. But, I hunt a small tract of land (40 acres) with HEAVY HEAVY hunting pressure all around me. I am surrounded on all sides by leased paper company land and a ranch that is heavily hunted. I AM LUCKY TO EVEN SEE DEER EACH SEASON.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #27
Tumbler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana and Texas

Tractor supply sells it in my area,,,,,they have regular, apple,peanut butter,persimmon, and roasted soybean flavored rice bran,,,
Tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #28
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage-n-cajun View Post
Tractor supply sells it in my area,,,,,they have regular, apple,peanut butter,persimmon, and roasted soybean flavored rice bran,,,
What name is it packaged under and how much are ya paying. So I can get some into my TSC
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #29
txarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard, Brown, and Lamb County

Matthew and Doug used to feed some of it when I first started getting it there in Brady Chance.
txarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top