X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwww
    MAGA!

It's so nice to wake up every morning to hear rabid democrats screaming and slobbering all over the place. If we could just harness their tears we could grow watermelons in the Mojave desert.
    no one could eat them,, they would be so bitter

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
      Tariffs are putting the screws to row crop farmers. Everyone understands that our trade situation needed fixing, but the sudden change shocked the market and it may never recover (beans, anyway). China can buy beans from SA & Brazil, Argentina etc. would love to take up the slack. Pretty dangerous/irresponsible gamble that really cost a lot of guys a lot of money.

That being said, it’s a small percentage of the population and no one cares. The average person has no idea where their food comes from and does not care, so long as it’s cheap.
      Life ain’t easy

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
        Trump keeps winning. Our economy is on fire. He is putting America first. And keep in mind he is doing all of this in the midst of a constant bombardment of Libs/Dems trying to take his head off.

If you can't recognize all that has been accomplished thus far then you are a never-Trumper and won't be convinced otherwise.

See you at the polls!
        X2

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          Tariffs are putting the screws to row crop farmers. Everyone understands that our trade situation needed fixing, but the sudden change shocked the market and it may never recover (beans, anyway). China can buy beans from SA & Brazil, Argentina etc. would love to take up the slack. Pretty dangerous/irresponsible gamble that really cost a lot of guys a lot of money.

That being said, it’s a small percentage of the population and no one cares. The average person has no idea where their food comes from and does not care, so long as it’s cheap.

We do and buy local. None of the farmers here are complaining as they look at the long term. An industry can not survive forever on subsidies...

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
            We do and buy local. None of the farmers here are complaining as they look at the long term. An industry can not survive forever on subsidies...
            I’m curious about what your local guys are producing, because the possibility of getting excluded from the largest market in the world (China) is definitely a long term problem. The only thing long term that I see happening in ag is more and more inequality among producers leading to bigger companies taking over everything. That’s something I really thought that this admin would curtail. Should have known.

The subsidy thing is a pretty common “talking point” that people like to drop. Most can’t elaborate at all beyond that line. Yes, there are some programs that many farmers take advantage of, some more than others depending on area/conditions.

For example, I was working near Hearne several years ago in that little strip of ground near the river and met the guy who was farming it one day. It was hot and dry and his corn wasn’t looking good. I asked him what he thought he’d get out of it and he said “doesn’t matter, it’s insured and I just need that thing to keep going”- pointing at a pump jack. He drove off into the dust. Not to say that attitude doesn’t exist in my area in isolated cases, but our ground is a lot better and people are trying to take their crop to market on fair terms and make a living.

Comment

Go trump. Things are better now if he had any help at all just think how much greater America would be. He is tired like the rest of Americans of giving away working people's money to low life freeloaders Tired of American getting taken advantage of by other countries and is leveling the playing field. Build then wall and control immigration

Comment

Forgive my ignorance about farming. Would it be possible to grow more fruits and vegetables domestically that are typically imported? Also, how does the CRP program work? I thought that the government paid farmers not to plant anything for a number of years? Seems to me that farmers could adjust what they are growing to what is in demand domestically. I know that is a super boiled down thought process and, admittedly, I know next to nothing about how it all works.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
                  Forgive my ignorance about farming. Would it be possible to grow more fruits and vegetables domestically that are typically imported? Also, how does the CRP program work? I thought that the government paid farmers not to plant anything for a number of years? Seems to me that farmers could adjust what they are growing to what is in demand domestically. I know that is a super boiled down thought process and, admittedly, I know next to nothing about how it all works.
                  Go to the USDA website, type in your county, next look at the farmers name and see the amount of $$$$$$$$$ they receive each year, never mind
                  That’s why agriculture bills are tied in with the food stamp programs so they can’t be separated 😠

Comment

We need 6 more years!
                    Last edited by Thumper; 09-28-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                      Go to the USDA website, type in your county, next look at the farmers name and see the amount of $$$$$$$$$ they receive each year, never mind
                      That’s why agriculture bills are tied in with the food stamp programs so they can’t be separated 😠

CRP program is welfare for land owners.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                        Trump keeps winning. Our economy is on fire. He is putting America first. And keep in mind he is doing all of this in the midst of a constant bombardment of Libs/Dems trying to take his head off.

If you can't recognize all that has been accomplished thus far then you are a never-Trumper and won't be convinced otherwise.

See you at the polls!

Comment

That is not what the CRP program is or is about. It's about giving farmers the financial incentive to not harm land that is marginally useful for crops. There are many benefits of the program for wildlife and the agricultural markets as well as insurance companies that provide crop insurance.

Gary

Comment

National debt over 21 trillion. Not sure what a conservative is anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                              We need 6 more years!
                              Yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                That is not what the CRP program is or is about. It's about giving farmers the financial incentive to not harm land that is marginally useful for crops. There are many benefits of the program for wildlife and the agricultural markets as well as insurance companies that provide crop insurance.

Gary
                                No, no, no... it’s welfare for farmers! I seen it on Fox!

You’re exactly right. It laid a lot of marginal land out of cultivation that was getting insurance farmed (government backed insurance, for the talking point guys) every other year, anyway. The benefits to wildlife, the taxpayer, and the environment from the CRP program are immeasurable. People are just clueless.

Back to the original OP, I do think Trump has probably been better than the alternative. We’ll come back around here, sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                                X