Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who benefits from this? Trying to understand how this is good for outdoorsmen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who benefits from this? Trying to understand how this is good for outdoorsmen.

Critics say the move is being made with minimal public input and little consideration for ecological preservation.

I know there is is liberal slate to the story, but how is freeing up land to lease to corporations benefiting me or you?

No hunter benefits from this. Bad move by Trump team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If they only lease the mineral rights but don't bar public access and use I don't see anything right off the bat that that causes me a lot of grief. Almost all the private land we hunt in Texas has mineral rights that are controlled by others and that doesn't really impact use for hunting.

I think I'd need more information to form any kind of judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        If they only lease the mineral rights but don't bar public access and use I don't see anything right off the bat that that causes me a lot of grief. Almost all the private land we hunt in Texas has mineral rights that are controlled by others and that doesn't really impact use for hunting.

I think I'd need more information to form any kind of judgement.
        I lean towards this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        I have hunted all over NM and you could spend weeks out in some of the BLM land and never see another person. A lot of it is not being used by sportsman and there is a lot of it. Sure, some folks might be impacted but i dont see a lot being impacted.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I lean towards this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          I have hunted all over NM and you could spend weeks out in some of the BLM land and never see another person. A lot of it is not being used by sportsman and there is a lot of it. Sure, some folks might be impacted but i dont see a lot being impacted.
          So it doesn't benefit hunters or sportsmen.......you know that lease money is going in someones pocket. No way to track it. Follow the money.

Comment

The issue is the way they are going about it. Public land is your land. They are trying to rush through it, providing little time for due process or public comment periods. Seems a little sneaky to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-adm...090041852.html

Is anything the government does benefiting me or you?

FIFY

and nothing is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                The issue is the way they are going about it. Public land is your land. They are trying to rush through it, providing little time for due process or public comment periods. Seems a little sneaky to me.
                Ya....and that article has some valid points.

Comment

Thought I remembered SCI crowing about this......

Comment

So it doesn't benefit hunters or sportsmen.......you know that lease money is going in someones pocket. No way to track it. Follow the money.

Just curious... how many weeks a year do you personally spend on this BLM land?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      Just curious... how many weeks a year do you personally spend on this BLM land?

0......But why does that matter? There are plenty of hunters and outdoorsmen that do.

How is this good for anyone besides the bureaucrats?
                      Last edited by Traildust; 09-11-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

BLM land is leased all the time for grazing. Oil production etc etc. This is nothing new.

The only thing New is that the precious administration stonewalled exploration on public land and took credit for the massive gains in oil and has exploration on private. Dealing with feds is much more onerous than dealing with private, and is a longer process. Shortening the length for many places is a good idea.

Comment

Could it be that organizations that set the agenda in the previous administration (some listed in the article) are being largely ignored by the current administration because their stances are already well known?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                            Not to argue semantics, but federal land is your and my land. State public land is not.

In NM for example, you cannot camp on state land. In CO, they lease out state land, which means the public cannot access the state land. AZ also has some strange requirements, I just can't remember them exactly. This video has been posted on TBH before, and it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekv996IhjLM

OP, There just needs to be a balance struck with the use of federal land. I don't agree with how Obama stopped a lot of public land being used for mineral extraction, but I also don't agree with Trump ramming it down our throats. But for whatever reason, it has to be all or nothing with both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                              FIFY

and nothing is the answer.
                              Lord knows that's right!!!
                              Thought I remembered SCI crowing about this......
                              This was released last week. Quarter of a million acres new acres opened for hunters on federal lands across multiple states.

Comment

Working...
                              X