Airgun for Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airgun for Deer

I don't find a thread about airgun hunting for deer. Thought it would be good to see who is going to go for it. Texas P&WD regulations are .30 caliber minimum diameter, and 215 foot pounds minimum power. Here is my Airforce .457 which will do 215 foot pounds with just about anything I run through it.
    Attached Files

Some guys out in I think San Angelo using a modded AF Texan to shoot silhouettes out to 600 yards!! Those guns are beastly and deadly accurate! I had a standard .25 as my first PCP gun... Longest shot to date yet made with an air gun for me was 139 yards... head shot on a turtle... got a 97 yard head shot on video with it... Awesome guns and affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
      I don't find a thread about airgun hunting for deer. Thought it would be good to see who is going to go for it. Texas P&WD regulations are .30 caliber minimum diameter, and 215 foot pounds minimum power. Here is my Airforce .457 which will do 215 foot pounds with just about anything I run through it.
      What projectiles does that use? And what FPS, and how many shots at full power?

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        Minimum MV of 800 FPS, minimum bullet weight 150 grains.

I take back everything I ever said about a 300 Blackout.

Comment

Very nice !!! Is that the Condor ?

Comment

I didn't think it got passed this year. May have to check the laws.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
              I didn't think it got passed this year. May have to check the laws.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                These are what I have so far. The one in the middle is a cast 350 grain bullet I use for 45-70--which it also shoots and hits with authority. The heaviest pellet I have seen advertised is 411 grain. The lighter the bullet, the more shots you get. I can get 10-12 shots with the 138 grain pellet and about 4 shots with the 350 grain. Because the way the valve opens, it stays open longer with the heavier bullets, so you get almost the same velocity with either one. I will probably hunt with the 250 grain which gives about 5-6 good shots per fill, and still has good power.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stykbow View Post
                  Very nice !!! Is that the Condor ?
                  The Texan, which is their large bore.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                    Minimum MV of 800 FPS, minimum bullet weight 150 grains.

I take back everything I ever said about a 300 Blackout.
                    Actually, I wouldn't be comfortable myself using a 30 caliber. I want to punch a bigger hole. It is a lot like bow hunting because you will nearly always have to trail.

Comment

Lights out on pigs!

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't be comfortable myself using a 30 caliber. I want to punch a bigger hole. It is a lot like bow hunting because you will nearly always have to trail.
                        I’d agree with that. What kind of velocity do you get with yours?

Comment

About 800 fps.

Comment

I've been checking out some of those guns online. Wow, some of them things are pricey.

Hoggslayer

Comment

At the 800fps mark, what is the target? Head shots or chest shots?
                              Hitting like a 1911 without the noise I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X