Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Jarheads, penny for your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son’s on his fifth year as a Marine. Two years in Okinawa, two in Seattle and currently home working at the base in Fort Worth. Nice to have him around for a while.

Comment

My stepdad discouraged my brother from joining the military for some of the very same reasons. I wish he hadn't. I believe it would have been great for my brother. Fortunately, he has turned out pretty okay despite that. If my son comes to me when he's of age and tells me he wants to serve, I will be behind him 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
        Not sure if the Corp has this MOS or they just steal from the Army but if he tests high enough on the ASVAB I would push him to be a linguist. Let him learn Arabic or Farsi and he can get paid 6 figures when he gets out. Combat MOS gets you a piece of paper that reads (No civilian equivalency) when you out process. Job at Starbucks waiting for you, thank you for serving our nation. Of course if you want to go in to **** **** up and kill people than FA, Infantry or Armor it is.
        We didn't have this as a job but if you passed the dlab (defense language aptitude battery) you could go to the school if it was offered. I only knew one person to pass.

Yeah i had a lot of no civilian equivalancy contact dod when i got out.

Comment

I'm doing the same thing he is, I leave Feb 11 for MCRD. Can't wait, I've been wanting this for the past ten years literally, wouldn't trade earning the title for the world.
          Semper fi!!!

Comment

That's a hard one... I deeply regret to this day that I didn't serve. I had no desire, influence or encouragement to do so at the time.

Hard to imagine the long term regret I might have if I actually WANTED to serve at that age, and didn't.

Comment

Enlisting in the Marines was the best thing I ever did and at times, the worst thing that has happened to me. Would I do it again? Abso *** **** lutely.
              It is in a parents nature to fear for the children's safety and want to protect them from any harm that may come their way but at the end of the day, you have prepared him and taught him to grow up and be his own man and it sounds like that is what he is doing and following his dream at the same time.
              He will never be better trained to handle what the evil's of this world will throw at him and he will do so while in the company of the finest souls to ever protect our freedoms. If he is so set on going, I'd be afraid that any pushing in the opposite direction from you may cause a rift that may never be completely bridged. Let him go. he will be happy, he will be sad, and he will be with his brothers. NOTHING in this world will compare to the pride of earning the EGA and the title of United States Marine

Semper Fidelis
              1st BN/9th Marines- '87-'91
              Sgt of Marines

Comment

I’m not a parent, but I am a Marine. My advice, support his decision. It was the best thing I ever did with my life, and I know my parents were about as proud as I was the day I graduated boot camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                  Is he an only son? If so I don't think he will see combat. My brothers son was told he would be deployed to the rear if something between the US and N Korea happened when he was over in S. Korea serving. Might want to check it out.
                  Unless something has changed that is a wive's tale. I am an only son and that was absolutely not the case.

Comment

I personally encourage the Coast Guard, if they can get in. Second I recommend is the Navy or Air Force, Navy since more likely to see the world. Then the Corps and lastly the Army. Coast Guard always has a job to do. I went in USMC as 0311 and was moved to Cryptologic Intelligence and got to work on Navy, Air Force and Army bases all of which were must nicer facilities and their chow smoked ours in the Corps. If he is dead set on the Marines then a job that can translate to civilian life, though the other branches have more of these, particularly Navy and Air Force. There is also the option of Navy Corpsman, not stuck in the Marines but option to serve with them........

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                      Not sure if the Corp has this MOS or they just steal from the Army but if he tests high enough on the ASVAB I would push him to be a linguist. Let him learn Arabic or Farsi and he can get paid 6 figures when he gets out. Combat MOS gets you a piece of paper that reads (No civilian equivalency) when you out process. Job at Starbucks waiting for you, thank you for serving our nation. Of course if you want to go in to **** **** up and kill people than FA, Infantry or Armor it is.
                      I was in these units, called Radio Battalions. I was in First Radio Battalion, back then we were very small units and only 2 of them, 1st. and 2nd. There is now a 3rd and they are all large units due to the vast increase in electronic intelligence gathering. Top Secret SCI clearance needed in those jobs too, the clearance got me a job at Texas Instruments when I got out.
                      Was contacted by both FBI and CIA but both said I would have to go back overseas, before we could spy on U.S. citizens, I declined.

These MOS's are tough schools and if you don't pass the clearance or the schools then guess what, for the good of the Corps......they decide

Comment

Too gung ho for the Marine Corps? Not possible. He sounds like a he has the making to be a Marine. I'm very glad i joined. I meet Marines almost everyday. It's definately a brotherhood few share.

Comment

not too many young men like him anymore, support him in his endeavor.
                          as stated above; there is no such thing as too gung ho for a Marine!!

God bless him, turn him loose.

Semper Fi!!

Comment

When I graduated high school I wanted to join the Corps but my parents wanted me to go to college. Out of respect for my parents I went to community college and obtained my associates in Criminal Justice (Mom wasn't too happy with that degree field) and went to MCRD San Diego at 21 years old. I had wanted to be a Marine like my father since I was a little boy but I still had the thought "What the F@)U* have I done" on the bus from the airport to the depot. I was a Military Policeman and gained brothers for life. I miss it every day. I don't advise everyone to join the Marine Corps and tell those who ask that if they are not positively sure they want to be a Marine they should look at the other branches. It sounds like he has made up his mind and if he doesn't do it now he will do it later. Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                              The kid sprung it on me yesterday he’s seriously thinking of joining the Marines. He turns 18 in November, a senior in high school this year. I honestly think the structure would be good for him. Just has me worried as hell that we are going to be in a shooting war or major conflict in the next 5-10 years.

He is fiercely patriotic, there’s rarely a day he’s not flying the flag on his truck, and has gotten into a scrap or two with others over it. I’m worried he might be a little gung ho if it comes down it.

Any thoughts or advice from you USMC guys?
                              I have/had 2 sons in the military. My youngest is in the Marines, oldest served in the Air Force. Your son is exactly the kind of men we need in the military.

Im not a USMC "guy", but Im the father of one...I am very proud of him.

Comment

Best decision I ever did in life was joining the Marine Corps

Comment

Working...
                                X