Great CWD Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    I think the "experiment" on humans is ongoing now and I don't mean at a lab. Just by killing, processing and eating deer/elk people have already been exposed. Chances are more than a few have handled and eaten infected animals. We just don't know how many and to what extent... It sucks to consider the repercussions that might soon occur regardless of whether humans can contract the disease or not.
    In Wisconsin there has been a few (I think 3), that have gotten the human variant, CJD. But it's been so long since I read into it, I don't remember the specifics, and I think there was more to the story than just eating venison.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      In Wisconsin there has been a few (I think 3), that have gotten the human variant, CJD. But it's been so long since I read into it, I don't remember the specifics, and I think there was more to the story than just eating venison.
      Yup, seems like there are very few/no answers when it comes to what causes the human variant, CJD. While I am not the "paranoid" type, I think there is great risk that CWD could potentially afflict humans just like "mad cow disease". the bad part is that most cows could/can be tracked back to there farm/ranch that produced them, While there is little to no chance to track deer movement.

Comment

My ranch is a quarter mile from the Red Zone TMR. I have had all my deer inspected for the past 3 years. Last year was the first time they went mandatory on us. For me a piece of mind is valuable, whether humans are affected or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
          My ranch is a quarter mile from the Red Zone TMR. I have had all my deer inspected for the past 3 years. Last year was the first time they went mandatory on us. For me a piece of mind is valuable, whether humans are affected or not.
          Glad to hear they are testing... What in all is involved in testing?? I know they have come up with a way to test without having to kill the deer. Can anyone send in a test specimen and what are the costs??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Glad to hear they are testing... What in all is involved in testing?? I know they have come up with a way to test without having to kill the deer. Can anyone send in a test specimen and what are the costs??
            There are several areas of the State that have testing facilities along major highways and it is free. I have killed a few deer out at Barretts and have had all of them tested. All came back negative. In the past I always said I would still eat a positive deer. I don't feel the same way anymore. The Rogan conversation is a good one. It is kinda freaky what we don't know about this disease.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
              Yeah, actually one of the numbskulls in the podcast actually said not to move infected animals.

This really cracks me up on the "NATIVE" South Texas argument. There are certain people that claim that their deer herds are pure native south Texas deer. Yet we have been hauling deer all the way to S Korea, Finland and Norway for years and years and years?????
              Bwaaaaahahaha!!!! Gives me a Giant chuckle. Haaaahahahaha.
              The TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS people have been hauling Northern and Canadian deer down Here and there forEVER. Way before a person had to have a permit. Of course this was banned many years ago.
              I remember seeing a Giant Canadian buck on a Mexico ranch back in the early 90's(right on the river). Breeding everything in site. I promise you that deer didn't walk down there.

So, like I said, ya'll need to quit bringing these dead deer carcasses from "UNTESTED" herds back to Texas or from County to county.

And yet, my deer look like the deer in the pics from 100 years ago in my area with the same antler and body traits.

No one hauled northern deer to encinal Texas before fences. They weren’t extirpated in the 20’s and 30’s because it was remote.

They’ve been there since we got there, spreading with the mesquite over the prairie.

Fact is, you made a choice to go down a certain path with your deer. That’s fine. Good for you.

You don’t get to say that you are native anymore. You don’t get to try to drag people who are native into your category with lies. If that bothers you, maybe you should have thought harder about your choice in the first place.
              Last edited by Encinal; 09-05-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                And yet, my deer look like the deer in the pics from 100 years ago in my area with the same antler and body traits.

No one hauled northern deer to encinal Texas before fences. They weren’t extirpated in the 20’s and 30’s because it was remote.

They’ve been there since we got there, spreading with the mesquite over the prairie.

Fact is, you made a choice to go down a certain path with your deer. That’s fine. Good for you.

You don’t get to say that you are native anymore. You don’t get to try to drag people who are native into your category with lies. If that bothers you, maybe you should have thought harder about your choice in the first place.
                I put an 1/8th Northern in mine because I wanted to and I can. I used big typicals because that is what I like and I can. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am very happy with what it has done for my deer.They look pure Texas to me, just bigger.
                That big Canadian deer I saw in Mexico came straight thru Encinal and Laredo in a trailer, in the early 90's.
                You don't think anyone on this side was doing the same thing??
                People have been moving deer up and down the roads since at least the 50's.
                If that bothers you, well I guess your just gonna have to live with it.

Comment

The deer your dad shot a few years ago "Tiny" I think is what y'all called him looked like the native deer from 100 years ago? Didn't know they killed deer like that a century ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                    The deer your dad shot a few years ago "Tiny" I think is what y'all called him looked like the native deer from 100 years ago? Didn't know they killed deer like that a century ago.
                    Hey Bloodtrailer,
                    He is not here to physically hands on help anyone grow bigger deer on their properties.
                    Unless he sells ttt deer? He is only here to run his mouth and bash guys like me, who are actually making it happen for people year in and year out.
                    His advise would be to shut up and feed your scrubs while he grows his giants.
                    My neighbor has been feeding hard and heavy for many years, still nothing that will break 130. And that is probably being generous.
                    He has quit a few guests that come to visit his ranch. They all get a ride to the fenceline to see my "Big Buck"!!

Comment

The world record typical was killed in Webb in the 40’s or 50’s. Dilley Monster in the 60’s

Countless 230’s. Probably some deer bigger we don’t know about.

The only thing different about our deer was protein... and awesome rain years.

Comment

The world record typical was killed in Webb in the 40’s or 50’s. Dilley Monster in the 60’s

Countless 230’s. Probably some deer bigger we don’t know about.

The only thing different about our deer was protein... and awesome rain years.
                        Tiny was far from a typical... so not sure how the world record typical comes into play on that one. They killed deer with the same genetics as tiny a hundred years ago? I know they killed giants back then but with the same type of of horns Tiny had?
                        Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 09-05-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hey Bloodtrailer,
                          He is not here to physically hands on help anyone grow bigger deer on their properties.
                          Unless he sells ttt deer? He is only here to run his mouth and bash guys like me, who are actually making it happen for people year in and year out.
                          My neighbor has been feeding hard and heavy for many years, still nothing that will break 130. And that is probably being generous.
                          He has quit a few guests that come to visit his ranch. They all get a ride to the fenceline to see my "Big Buck"!!
                          There's a few on here that have Daddy's ranch that's located in the best part of the state for growing deer but bash the people who want to bring in genetics. Not everybody gets ranches where the genetics are like they are down south and would like to have some deer bigger than 130.

Comment

Hey Bloodtrailer,
                            I don’t have a problem with breeders at all. I have a problem with people like you who try to pull other people’s accomplishments down to make yours look good.

Breeder deer are different than HF Native which are diff than LF native. You can hunt all or none of them, but no one on here is stupid enough to think that they are all the same thing.

If someone wants to bring deer in because he wants to have something bigger than a 130 fine.

As with anything, beware of people that sell advice who get a percentage profit from the product they recommend you buy. It’s in their best interest to get you to buy something even if you don’t need it. Guys like buckskin don’t make ANY money giving good solid management advice. They do make money moving deer, so you can guess what his recommendation is going to be even before you ask.

Comment

S.Texas, E.Texas, N.Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa........They are all tiny little animals compared to Alberta whitetails....want to import somethin....get some of them bitches down here...

Comment

There's a few on here that have Daddy's ranch that's located in the best part of the state for growing deer but bash the people who want to bring in genetics. Not everybody gets ranches where the genetics are like they are down south and would like to have some deer bigger than 130.
                                You’re still not getting genetics like we have down south buying from a breeder. Nor are you getting the ambiance or the cultural experience. It’s something different entirely. If that’s your cup of tea, go for it, but once you take shortcuts, don’t try to compare results with people that played the long game. You get to compare results with the shortcut line.

The Daddy comment is laughable. I couldn’t do what I do without his hard work, and we wouldn’t be doing what we are now without mine for the last 20 years.
                                Last edited by Encinal; 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X