Favorite hornady 22-250 ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite hornady 22-250 ammo?

I’ve shot the 50 grain vmax, and the 50 grain superformance. Just picked up 55 grain vmax to try out. Anybody like anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot 50gr Vmax

Comment

55 vmax is lights out.

Comment

Hornady 52gr. BTHP is my favorite. But I've been shooting the 50 grain Superformance here lately. Killed a coyote at 70 yards last Friday with that bullet. I hit him through the shoulder and he rolled around and flip flopped for a little bit. I was just about to shoot him again when he stopped trying to get up. I lost one with the same bullet a while back. I can't blame the bullet on that though really. He was running and I hit just a little too far back.

Comment

For shooting what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            For shooting what?

Hogs.

Comment

If you plan to head shoot exclusively any Bullet will work. If you’d like to have options, I would and have successfully used the Barnes TSX bullets on pretty big hogs and body shots.

The Varmint bullets are just too explosive and don’t penetrate deep enough in larger hogs. It may die but you likely won’t recover it if that’s your goal.

Comment

If you plan to head shoot exclusively any Bullet will work. If you’d like to have options, I would and have successfully used the Barnes TSX bullets on pretty big hogs and body shots.

The Varmint bullets are just too explosive and don’t penetrate deep enough in larger hogs. It may die but you likely won’t recover it if that’s your goal.

I shot this one 3 times in the head and he still got up and walked off, then had to put 15 more rounds of .223 in him in the woods before he finally died!

Comment

I have shot plenty of big hogs with the 55 vmax. All died on the spot from the massive hydraulic shock.

Comment

I use the Barnes TSX factory ammo and it has performed great on hogs and neck shot on a doe.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                      I have shot plenty of big hogs with the 55 vmax. All died on the spot from the massive hydraulic shock.

And I have had nearly everyone went off and die with less than 30 percent recovery. That’s why quit shooting varmint Bullet for Medium game.

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                        I’ve shot the 50 grain vmax, and the 50 grain superformance. Just picked up 55 grain vmax to try out. Anybody like anything else?

55gr GMX! Highly impressive barrier (thick skull, hide, shoulder etc) round

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

V-Max

Agree totally

Ear shots with big hogs can still be an issue with vmax. Have had some death runs with 200+ pounders go farther than desired to recover.

Moved on to other bullets or calibers for pigs

Love the 22-250 and 308

Comment

Only bullets we have much experience with are the 55 grain vmax
                            Absolutely accurate and the gun loves them.

Two deer with behind shoulder broadside shots. ~112 yds each. One doe and one buck
                            Both only ran about 30-40 yards. Small entrance no exit hole, both jelloed the vitals
                            No blood trial but required minimal looking.

Other was a neck shot buck.
                            DRT and that was that.

Wouldn’t consider it a whitetail round but it does work. .

Comment

Sst

Comment

Working...
                              X