No announcement yet.

Prickly PearFruit: Harvesting, Handling, Prepping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You ought to watch a cow or two get into a patch of, you've never seen a more satisfied looking critter drooling purple.

Comment

Had a recipe before but cant find again. It made more of a thick syrup. You put jalapenos in it and pour over cream cheese for chips was the best way to eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by RMAD View Post
        Had a recipe before but cant find again. It made more of a thick syrup. You put jalapenos in it and pour over cream cheese for chips was the best way to eat it.
        That sounds good. I know if you don't boil it long enough it will be more like a syrup. The enzymes deactivate the Sure Jell.

Comment

Here’s the link to my video showing how I make it. Feel free to comment or ask any questions!!

Comment

My wife has tried and failed a couple of times to make tuna jelly. I am going to sit her down with the videos.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              My wife has tried and failed a couple of times to make tuna jelly. I am going to sit her down with the videos.
              My first guess (as a novice) would be that maybe she isn't boiling it long enough in the beginning to deactivate the enzymes, which would keep the pectin from setting. Good luck to her! Mrs. JS's video is very thorough!

Comment

I'm going to have to try this next year!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                  love me some tuna's. Burning of glockets off is the way to go. I have 2 gallons of prickly pear wine going right now.

Would you be willing to share your prickly pear wine recipe? I have about a quart of prickly pear syrup that I made this summer. Can I use that? I cut up the fruit and boil it to extract the juice. I then strain it many, many times and then reduce it with sugar to make a syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLizaMarie View Post
                    Would you be willing to share your prickly pear wine recipe? I have about a quart of prickly pear syrup that I made this summer. Can I use that? I cut up the fruit and boil it to extract the juice. I then strain it many, many times and then reduce it with sugar to make a syrup.

That should be good for about 3 gallons, 2 may be stronger.
                    Add to water, and treat like any fruit wine. Pectin 1tsp. 1tsp yeast nutritive, yeast.

Open ferment 3-5 days, then with bubbler. Rack every couple of months till clear.

I have yet to bottle mine. Getting close but still a little cloudy.

This is my first pp wine but I have heard it best to age for 1 yr prior to drinking.

Each time I take, I sample and it is tasting pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                      That should be good for about 3 gallons, 2 may be stronger.

Add to water, and treat like any fruit wine. Pectin 1tsp. 1tsp yeast nutritive, yeast.

Open ferment 3-5 days, then with bubbler. Rack every couple of months till clear.

I have yet to bottle mine. Getting close but still a little cloudy.

This is my first pp wine but I have heard it best to age for 1 yr prior to drinking.

Each time I take, I sample and it is tasting pretty good.

I really appreciate it, can't wait to try it out! I've got two gallon size bags of crushed mustang grapes waiting for me to decide on a recipe, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X