Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
    You are doing it wrong!!!
    In the last 15 yrs or so, I've been drawn on 6 archery hunts, and went on 3 as a stand-by!!!
    Got drawn for 2 archery hunts just last year, so I have no points to cash in!!!
    Hmmmm....care to share some of your insights???

My problem is that I typically put in for the highly sought after hunts which carry long odds to draw. If you're doing the same them perhaps I'm just unlucky.

I also here many other talk about being drawn for standby's but I just usually can't seem to justify the time off for a chance at standby.

Comment

Same here, no lease so I need to be drawn. I put in for 10 total so I should get at least 11 hunts right....lol.

Comment

I must be lucky ...I have 6 weeks of vacation saved up so me an my brother put in for alot of hunts hopefully I get drawn for Atleast one an may go on a few to try to get a standby spot

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          Hmmmm....care to share some of your insights???
          Crisp one hundred dollar bill, slid nicely under the application!!!!

Well, basically, I just look at all the hunt dates and compare them to my days off. I also don't put in for the Chap or other highly sought after spots. You can have a good hunt at the "unheard of" places.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
            I also here many other talk about being drawn for standby's but I just usually can't seem to justify the time off for a chance at standby.
            On archery hunts, it's not to bad. The 3 I went on were all at the same place, 3 yrs in a row. Plus, it wasn't but a 45 min drive. I would call ahead and see if they had any spots open. Also, I was working the graveyard shift (11 to 7) so that helped too. If I didn't get to hunt, I would just go back home and go to bed. But since I did get to hunt, I would call work and burn a couple of vacation days or be sick!!!
            And the last time I went as a stand-by, there were 3 of us, the most I ever seen show up for a archery hunt. All 3 of us got to hunt.
            Last edited by sqiggy; 08-20-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I have too many other things to burn my vacation time on. If I get drawn for most of what I put in for, there will be at least one standby spot. Lol.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I had to give up my lease this year, so I applied as many as I could. It's gonna be all public hunt with the exception of a weekend hunt in Tweety, Tx. It's an 8hr drive to the panhandle, but worth it.

Comment

I've never done the standby thing. If you get to hunt as a standby hunter, do you lose your preference points for that category?

Comment

No, standby has nothing to do with your points. Those are only affected if you are drawn for a hunt in that category.

Comment

And now we wait.....

Comment

Yep. I wonder how the wait will be before we know if we were drawn. Any alligator people here that can give us an estimate into the length of time they waited between the draw deadline and drawing posting results (email, etc)?

Comment

Theirs ended on a Thursday as well and the drawing was on that Tuesday. So hopefully we only have 4-5 more days of waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            You're right. They are still doing standby hunts.
                            From the website:

 Will Standby Hunts still be available?

Yes, Standby Hunts may be available if all hunt positions are not accepted. Call the hunt area starting 5 days before the first day of the hunt to find out if any are available.

 What is the Secondary Drawing?

•If all hunt permits are not accepted after the initial draw, a Secondary Draw will be performed to select alternate hunters.
                            •The purpose of the Secondary Drawing is to fill as many hunt positions as possible to maximize hunter opportunity.
                            entered will be notified and given a chance to purchase then.

It also states that drawings will typically be held the day after an application deadline... So hopefully today!
                            Last edited by HoustonHunter; 08-22-2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Anyone else check that status page 2 or 3 times already today?

Comment

Nothing ever gets done on fridays or mondays, so I'll wait till tuesday

Comment

Working...
                                X