How to secure a lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to secure a lease?

How'd you find your lease? Word of mouth? Classifieds? Family owned land?

My kids are only getting older and while public lands have been our only option last few years. Both kids (14,10) are pushing to harvest deer. We've been gracious to have hog hunts available to us in the past but have hit dead end roads looking for a lease the kids can actually enjoy. From building stands to filling feeders and just get out and enjoy the time outdoors.

Late in the game for this year I know, but there's always next year right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classifieds and a lot of phone calls. Have money in hand ready to go look at the property that day if needed. Leases are getting harder and harder to find. Unfortunately there is also a great deal of sub leasing going on too, so there's that you have to deal with.

Comment

Don't hold out looking for something perfect. Even if the place will be a headache, it's a place to hunt while you keep looking. And it could turn into a great opportunity.

We got our current lease off CL and went and met the guy that day and handed him money. It transformed from a place to hunt into a GREAT place.

Comment

I haven't

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
          Classifieds and a lot of phone calls. Have money in hand ready to go look at the property that day if needed. Leases are getting harder and harder to find. Unfortunately there is also a great deal of sub leasing going on too, so there's that you have to deal with.
          I haven't read all the posts but I will say this. I joined every "lease search" sight and most of them aren't worth the time to log in. I was able to reach out to someone that posted on here in the classifieds and while the place I responded to didn't work out that member contacted me and now my dad and I have a lease with him since last season. I know it isn't long but it worked by reaching out to someone and letting them know what I was looking for and price that we could afford, he had the landowner connections and called us because it fit the bill

Comment

Word of mouth. It's not what you know but who you know. Not fun looking for sure.

Comment

Our county appraisal district has a website with an aerial map that has the property owners name's listed for each tract. If I am driving around and see a property I am interested in I go to the website and find out the owners name and address. I then write a letter expressing my interest in leasing the hunting rights, give them a few references with contact info, and tell them a little bit about myself. I thank them for their time and ask them to contact me if they are interested. I have found it works much better than just knocking on doors out of the blue.

Comment

Word of mouth, various classifieds sites, and searching lease sites on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                  I haven't read all the posts but I will say this. I joined every "lease search" sight and most of them aren't worth the time to log in. I was able to reach out to someone that posted on here in the classifieds and while the place I responded to didn't work out that member contacted me and now my dad and I have a lease with him since last season. I know it isn't long but it worked by reaching out to someone and letting them know what I was looking for and price that we could afford, he had the landowner connections and called us because it fit the bill
                  Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. The lease sites I used in the past were barely above useless. Craigslist and especially word-of-mouth are the way to go. Word-of-mouth about an existing lease helps avoid bad leases and landowner issues that might not be uncovered if your group is leasing the property for the first time.

LWD

Comment

Finally got on a good one, due to a guy coming up short on $$$, on a buddy of mines lease. It's a long hard road. Looked at about every bad lease there was. FYI, if it's been advertised on the innerwebs, and its still available after a day. There is a reason.

Comment

Check your PM box.

Comment

While your driving down county roads look for land that does nit have much activity going on. Find the nearest house and walk up to the door and ask.
                        Not the easiest way to find a lease but my dad did this a lot back in the day.
                        Even if all you find is a small place....its better than no place

Comment

I found mine thru CL amd so glad i did but usually word of mouth or bu driving down county roads and talking to people you might see at gates and asking them, i know sounds weird but it works

Comment

Neighbors, guys you work with, friends at church...college buddies. Ask them all and be ready with money in hand.

Comment

Has this ever worked?

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                              Our county appraisal district has a website with an aerial map that has the property owners name's listed for each tract. If I am driving around and see a property I am interested in I go to the website and find out the owners name and address. I then write a letter expressing my interest in leasing the hunting rights, give them a few references with contact info, and tell them a little bit about myself. I thank them for their time and ask them to contact me if they are interested. I have found it works much better than just knocking on doors out of the blue.
                              Have you actually leased property thru the CAD process you have described above?

Comment

Working...
                              X