New Braunfels questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Braunfels questions

We're planning a 4-5 day trip to San Antonio soon to take the kids to see The Alamo and the Riverwalk. Where should we stay, or maybe a better question is what area should we avoid staying?
    What else should we definitely do while we're in the area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

stay north or south side of town, make sure to eat at big lou's on w.w. white road and polo nortenos on rigsby, check out the institute of texan cultures and make a trip through market square.

Comment

Do not leave anything of value in your vehicle.

Comment

Concan is about 85 miles. We always plan a day to go float the river.

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
          stay north or south side of town, make sure to eat at big lou's on w.w. white road and polo nortenos on rigsby, check out the institute of texan cultures and make a trip through market square.
          I agree with pollo nortenos, great grilled Mexican chicken. But I disagree with big Lou's. Now, I had it a couple years ago , but I was very unimpressed. Thought it was expensive and flavorless.

I would spend a little more and stay on the riverwalk. It's safe. South town is fun. La Tuna has good burgers. The friendly spot is a nice place to get a beer, food is terrible, though. Good bbq across the street

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Or stay on the riverwalk. We always use the Omni La Mansion. It's in a really convenient location on the river to get to the good food with short walks. It's also, cheap, safe, clean and comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
              Do not leave anything of value in your vehicle.

Comment

The Menger is a neat hotel. Teddy Roosevelt used to partake at it's bar. Plus it's directly next to the Alamo.

Comment

Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas are great for kids and adults alike. There is also the San Antonio Zoo.

Comment

Originally posted by rklazajr View Post
                    I agree with pollo nortenos, great grilled Mexican chicken. But I disagree with big Lou's. Now, I had it a couple years ago , but I was very unimpressed. Thought it was expensive and flavorless.

I would spend a little more and stay on the riverwalk. It's safe. South town is fun. La Tuna has good burgers. The friendly spot is a nice place to get a beer, food is terrible, though. Good bbq across the street

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                    This ! Big Lou's is just pizza. Just a big one. Nothing to great. Shopping centers get hit for vehicle burglaries. No GUNS IN THE CAR.

Rosario's for dinner is a cant miss. The area of South Town will smoke the bland boring river food.

Comment

If you have not taken the trip through Natural Bridge Caverns it is worth a half day or so. They have a drive through safari park too so you can drool over some expensive species (kudu, bongo, etc.).

Tim

Comment

The Alamo won't take you long to see. I'd agree with taking a walk through the Menger hotel and just checking it all out. The Riverwalk was pretty good the first time I walked along it, ok the second time, and just "ehh" every other time. But there are some nice things to see down there, especially if you aren't from here. Favorite parking garage down there is the River Center Parking Garage on East Crockett St. behind Morton's Steakhouse. It's just convenient to get to the Alamo, Menger, Shops at Rivercenter, and the RiverWalk.

If you like history, you might want to check out the Missions. In the heat, kids sometimes get bored, but if you go early enough, it shouldn't be bad. Our favorite one to visit was Mission San Jose. It has a working mill on the property, so you get to see how they ground wheat.

Natural Bridge Caverns (north of San Antonio) is good to see as timoub007 pointed out, and while you are there, go next door to the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. It's a drive-thru tour in your own vehicle.

After you leave that area, keep heading north a bit on 35 to check out the little town of Gruene, and eat at the Gristmill.

While you are in that area, when you finally get too hot and want to cool down, head over to Schlitterbahn Water Park.

Hope you all have fun!

All the best,
                        Glenn

Comment

Thanks for the information so far. I'll look into Omni La Mansion. We would also like to do a float trip, are there any family friendly sections of the river? Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Please keep this a secret, don't tell anybody. Do see the Alamo, Menger, Schilo's Delicatessen for some grub, and the laser show on the San Fernando Cathedral. Your kids and wife will think you are a god if you do everything in my post. I entertain a bunch of family and friends and the stuff in my post works. I also disagree with most of the restaurants listed in this thread, especially the market square yuck. I wouldn't waste my time with market square unless it was fiesta. I feel you can find good enough lodging, I don't know your budget. Of course there are plenty of other things to do depending on interest, ages of visitors, time of year, distance you want to drive from town, and such. My recommendations are based on uniqueness, surviving the June-Sept heat, fun for kids, outstanding eats, and cleanliness.

http://www.mainplaza.org (Laser light show)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nk6sfhwgy-E (Youtube of show, its really great, bring beer)

https://www.thefloatin.com (next to the "chute" and down river has shuttle pickup)

New Braunfels Welcome to the Historic New Braunfels Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que is honored to be the ‘Best Of The Best’ in the barbecue business and home of the original World Famous “Big Chop.”The Wootan & Cooper Family has provided its World Famous Pit Barbecue to hundreds of thousands of hungry diners over the […]

Welcome to Natural Bridge Caverns, Texas –a premier natural attraction – where you'll find adventure and fun around every bend. Like on the Discovery Tour.

http://atpearl.com (click on "food" and scroll)

Schilo's facebook https://www.facebook.com/schilosdeli

Happy Trails!!!
                            Last edited by Johnny44; 07-02-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Mi Tierra in market square is a must for breakfast and lunch

Comment

Working...
                              X