No announcement yet.

2017 San Angelo area season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No but you can get me a one way ticket to wherever you are!

Comment

I actually use the copper sulfide Algecide for water troughs. I used bleach when I first started in angelo several yrs ago and my deer didn't use them much. I don't like black because of the water heating up more. I have also taken a large bundle of copper wire and dropped in the tank. Copper is a natural algecide and I have never had an algae problem. Just my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        I actually use the copper sulfide Algecide for water troughs. I used bleach when I first started in angelo several yrs ago and my deer didn't use them much. I don't like black because of the water heating up more. I have also taken a large bundle of copper wire and dropped in the tank. Copper is a natural algecide and I have never had an algae problem. Just my experience.

Good Lord[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
          Yep.. Good stuff.

Comment

Weird Jack. You must have some weird finicky deer. Our deer, turkey, bobcats, foxes, buzzards, coons, birds and anything else that moves on the place suck down our water all year with the light bleach mixture I listed above. Humper throws a mini pool chlorine tablet float in his. Same results. I not only see them on camera but watch them suck it down in person. Heck my buck in my avatar went straight to the water and spent 2-3 minutes at the trough before he came into corn and gave me a shot. We went to 550 gallons per blind versus 275 due to the usage and for less frequent fills.

On your black trough heat issue, did you actually test the water temps and compare or did you just roll with the "black camp shower concern theory" mentioned on tbh a few times here? I too was concerned about the black camp shower bag theory some folks have tossed around but never tested. So I tested it. The trough temp of a trough connected to a black tank was no different than a trough sitting by itself unconnected in the summer sun. The temperature of the trough was not affected significantly by the tote supply itself. It was more affected by the temps around the trough directly instead of the occasional dribble allowed in by the tank float imo. And I can't see a regular tote in the sun with a dribble every now and then cooling it down significantly. Either way, I still hung boards on the top and sides to keep coons off and to see if it made a difference. The trough temp difference with boards was still nill.

Now I'm not suggesting one way or the other is better because obviously they are using them both . I typed all this battling insomnia to suggest what you said about bleach and black tanks goes against everything we have experienced at 8 pens and 12 tanks on our place alone.... I'd imagine there are TBHer's that have similar experiences. Well I know a group down in Bracketville, (Cull and Archery1st) that does it because Cull gave me his bleach ratio and direction when we put them all in during early Spring 2014.
            Last edited by Smart; 04-21-2017, 01:18 AM.

Comment

I'm not saying one is better. Just another option, the bleach thing may have been total coincidence and since I couldn't ask them why they weren't drinking the water who knows if it's the reason or maybe I just put too much. Since then the copper product has been what I used and they have been drinking it. I did not scientifically test the water temp either, just a theory. Black in hot direct sun usually heats up things.

Like I said not saying one is better just throwing out a differ option to the masses
              Last edited by KactusKiller; 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Do y'all not have adequate windmill/well water ?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                  Do y'all not have adequate windmill/well water ?

Sure we do... it's a working cattle ranch. However, the place is 4100 acres of which 2400 we can hunt, so the deer have to go a long ways to get it from some blinds. Up on our north fence side and where my best blind is, they would water on the neighbors side. We like to think having water on our north fence line pens keep them on our side. Plus, we hope the less energy they have to use to get water the more they have for body weight and horns...[emoji41]. One stop shop for water and food..
                  Last edited by Smart; 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Sure we do... it's a working cattle ranch. However, the place is 4100 acres of which 2400 we can hunt, so the deer have to go a long ways to get it from some blinds. Up on our north fence side and where my best blind is, they would water on the neighbors side. We like to think having water on our north fence line pens keep them on our side. Plus, we hope the less energy they have to use to get water the more they have for body weight and horns...[emoji41]. One stop shop for water and food..
                    Ok it all sounds great but seems more like a "feel good" measure that requires a lot of time and effort for minimal payout.

I like seeing all the pics of the redneck water setups though! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      Ok it all sounds great but seems more like a "feel good" measure that requires a lot of time and effort for minimal payout.

If you say so........I killed my biggest archery buck last year with water dripping off his mouth. That's a pretty **** good payout in my book. It may not be a payout in inches like protein can be, but a payout as an attractant or keeping a deer at your feedpen is worth more to me than 5 more inches of bone.

Its a strategic move to try to keep the deer from going across the fence more than they need to. Some blinds are 1,000 yards from water so it is what it is. I understand that's not huge in a deer's grand scheme of thing but every little bit helps.
                      Last edited by Smart; 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

And as far as time and effort.....

This dude dumps 275 gallons into my blind tote(s) in just over 2 minutes. Takes more effort to fill protein or corn..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	24493452

And for proof of my buck claim, here is the video. The left turn he makes is directly to my trough...and is where he is coming from when it cuts back to the video. Pretty good payout..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJXkh2IaWE"]Woodford No Mas! - YouTube[/ame]
                        Last edited by Smart; 04-21-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

What did he score

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm with Jason on this one. Unless you have water in every 100-200 acre section then I think these are great attractors. Give them everything in a one stop shop espcially during the hottest times of the yr. Less chance a buck has to travel more to get what he needs. Also on most of the places I have hunted the livestock tends to hang around the water troughs and in early season I like hunting near water as much as feed if the space allows for it.

Comment

Originally posted by J whitton View Post
                              What did he score

141 7/8 was the initial......but a re-score at home on my desk and not on a tailgate put him just a shade over 142 at 142 2/8. He easily netted Pope but I haven't registered any..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                141 7/8 was the initial......but a re-score at home on my desk and not on a tailgate put him just a shade over 142 at 142 2/8. He easily netted Pope but I haven't registered any..
                                Nice deer

Comment

Working...
                                X