Sausage Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage Recipes

I know there are a lot of prepared seasoning mixes for sausage. But for those that make your own sausage (Smoked, German, breakfast, jalapeno cheese, ect) with seasonings from scratch, what is your favorite homemade sausage recipe? What seasonings do you like to use? Please post here so that others may have an opportunity to try their hand at it from scratch.

This is a pdf file that has hundreds of sausage recipes. It's worth a look, they have fresh sausage, cured sausage, blood sausage, head cheese, more than I had ever heard of.

Comment

Thanks TXJon, that is some great info. They have compiled many recipes.

Anybody else have a personal recipe they would like to share?

Comment

Anybody got a recipe for jalapeno and cheese sausage?

DJ

Comment

I made 10 lbs of the breakfast sausage on pg 35 yesterday, it turned out great.

Comment

I made bratwurst from the recipe on the above link.It came out excellent.The wild hog recipe was VERY bland,so I added fresh jalapenos,onions and liquid smoke.It came out really good.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
              Anybody got a recipe for jalapeno and cheese sausage?

DJ
              Now thats what I'd like to see too!

Comment

I would love to be able to make some dry cured sausage. That is the best stuff in the world, but seems pretty involved to jump off in to.

Comment

Stolle's Sausage Recipe

Seasoning to make 10#'s

0.8 ounces of Pepper
                  3.2 ounces of Salt
                  0.4 ounces of Garlic
                  0.4 ounces Mustard Seed
                  0.4 ounces of Meat Cure
                  0.25 Crushed Red Pepper

We have made Jalepeno and Cheese Sausage. We used Velveeta one time and Cheddar the next. The easiest way to do it is cube it up up small enough to fit throught the stuffer tube. Then bag it and freeze it so it does not mush into the meat when you stuff it. If you think you have cut up plenty cheese double that amount and you will have enough.

Comment

Here you go. This is your one stop shop for sausage recipes. This my favorite base. i've got tons of different flavors from italian to brats to jal/cheese. i can make anything that you want from apples and cinnamon, bacon and onion, cheddar, blueberry, artichokes and mozzarella, wines, beer brats, andouille, chorizo, hot dogs, summer sausage, out of breath there is no end to what i can make in sausage Just let me know e-mail me at travis_berger@sbcglobal.net. I dont like the way it post it on the green screen it's easier to email. I do everything by weight it's the best way to do it by far and the most accurate. You can use a small kitchen scale from walmart about 20 bucks.
                    To change the weight just multiply the weight by the percentage and there you go.
                    if you want to make it a breakfast sausage add .15% sage, .30% crushed red pepper, and .10 % thyme. If you like paprika add it in at .12% and chili powder at .12% or nutmeg in at .12 % or mustard seed at .20%. it doesnt matter how you make it. This base formula below is by far my favorite that i've made. If you want add Fresh Jalapenos at .55% and cheddar cheese diced 1/4" at 5%. If you want it hot add .2% cayenne red pepper. If you are going to smoke it add .25% cure.

If you are going to smoke it. Smoke it for 3 hours in your smoker less around 150 degrees max. If you go higher it wont except the smoke. and then cook it till it reaches 165 cool to 40 degrees and package. This works for smoke sausage, bologna, salami, summer sausage and hot dogs. If you want to dry it smoke it for three hours at 150 degrees then bring it to 165 degrees internal then take the temperature down to 150 degrees and just hold it for 7 more hours. DO NOT SMOKE ANYMORE. After 7 hours check to see that it's firm if it is still pretty soft put it back in for an hour and recheck. If it is to hard adjust to 6 hours next time. Then cool to 40 degrees and package and enjoy.
                    Pork and Venison Regular
                    Total Weight 10
                    #'s oz's. % in Blend
                    pork butt 4.50 72.00 45.00%
                    venison 5.00 80.00 50.00%
                    fresh Garlic 0.08 1.28 0.80%
                    Black Pepper 0.05 0.77 0.48%
                    Salt 0.18 2.88 1.80%
                    Cayenne 0.01 0.18 0.11%
                    Sugar 0.05 0.80 0.50%
                    Water 0.25 4.00 2.50%
                    Last edited by mesquitecountry; 01-11-2007, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks Stolle and Mesquitecountry! I'm gonna have to try both of those.

Comment

When it comes to smoking we hang in the smoke house after the links are stuffed and tied. The links we save for cooking are taken down the next morning. One batch of smoke is normally enough. Just smoke no heat.

The links that we want to dry will stay in the smoke house with a few more batches of smoke. How much you smoke it really depends on the weather. Whats nice is my cousin has a dehydrator and an AC in his butcher room so if the weather turns south we hang inside with AC and Dehydrator on. Normally takes around 2 weeks to dry.

This year I'm going to keep some with no smoke for grilling.
                        Last edited by Stolle; 01-12-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X