No announcement yet.

Old Mexico 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I first hunted Mexico in 1982 best I remember. Huge ranch. Outfitter didn't know anything about hunting. Didn't see a deer...not one...all week. The following year I hunted a different ranch. The outdoor writer John Wooters was in camp and I thought I had won the lottery. Got so cold my water bottle froze inside my pack by my bed. Didn't see a buck to shoot. The following year I started hunting a 250,000 acre ranch. Wonderful accommodations but once again the outfitter was clueless as to how to hunt the ranch. Was several years hunting this ranch and learning to self guide before I got my first Mexican buck...a 150" 8 pt.

All that nostalgia is fine and well. I now feed protein year round and the hunting is simply phenomenal. I do not long for the 'old days'. I also scarcely run any cameras at all so when we show up for the season its bone chilling excitement to see what will pop out of the brush.And all the elements that make hunting Mexico such a joy are still present...the culture and people, the vastness, the the incredible wildlife, the remoteness and on and on. Just a bit more comfortable now. I'm ok with that.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
      I go to Mexico for the adventure, we only run corn feeders for about 3-4 months and road feed, we have a lot of fun, last year I went hunting for arrow heads for the first time, we picked up a boat load of them in just a couple of days, that made my trip. We have not killed any giants, 160 to 170 is tops for us, usually get one or two of those a year. Our landowner is awesome, he stays with us, cooks, cleans deer, and can fix anything, we have become good friends with him and his family.
      Ive tried to explain to a few hunting friends about how many arrow heads there are over there and by their looks on their faces I can't tell they think I'm BS'ing them.. I filled a BIG coffee can completely full in 2.5-3 hours one day while on a big flat on high bluff overlooking the river.. Most where busted. It must have been a foundry.. You couldn't hardly step without stepping on a busted piece of flint..
      It gave me goose bumps walking around up there just trying to imagine what Indians, how many and how long they had used that bluff... It was wild.

Comment

Man those days are gone..... I remember getting on my first ranch in Mexico because if the quail. We drove about 5 miles and busted 25 covey's.

Comment

Diesel trucks are now allowed to get permits as long as they are not modified. No flatbeds only 3/4 and 1 ton trucks either duallies or single tire as long as they have regular beds and interiors.

Comment

Old Mexico 2018-2019

Nice Old Mexico buck that I just finished.. Super MASS..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Nice Old Mexico buck that I just finished.. Super MASS..

Turned out Good man. Great work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck and taxi work

Comment

We are bringing our east Texas crew to old Mexico, but it’s not with the expectation to kill a monster, but the comradery and wide open country to enjoy the remote thrill of the hunt. If we kill a 145”+ that’s just a bonus. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in the inches and forget about the journey.

Comment

Yeah Tamaulipas is jacked up like Texas. Nuevo Leon has too many Aduanas. Coahuila is where its at nobody tryin to control me!

Comment

Looks like we’re forecasted for rain end of next week praying for two days of HEAVY rain!

Comment

My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein. Close to Villa Union.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dc1986; 03-20-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Great bucks. Congrats to all.

Comment

Super deer. I like the mount as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                              My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein.
                              great looking buck! congrats to your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                                My friends buck from this season. This deer just appeared in January. 179 4/8. Low fence, no protein. Close to Villa Union.

Stud!!! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X