2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    This.... people talk crap because our biologist requires us to take 75-80 does per year on our club. But, that keeps the numbers in check and the bucks on their feet.
    Ours does the same. We’ve been shooting our does 3 to 1 vs bucks for the last 7 years. We see a lot of bucks these days roaming around. We’ve had 4 good ones shot so far just this month, which is crazy.

Comment

Did I mention the wind being absolutely horrible? If it blows much harder I’m afraid my stand is going to wind up on top of a witch in a magical fairy land with elves and a wizard, and no idea how to get back home.

Comment

Just had a 4 yr old 8 cruise thru in Jasper cnty. Lot of deer movement this morning.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Covert cell cam sent me a pic with a target buck running his scrapes this morning. I had him on cam at the feeder at 1:30pm yesterday as well. To bad im 520 miles away😤
          Attached Files

Comment

Just had a giant bobcat run off doe and her fawn (spots still showing). I got an arrow off in time but I missed him. Would have been first bow bobcat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              Did I mention the wind being absolutely horrible? If it blows much harder I’m afraid my stand is going to wind up on top of a witch in a magical fairy land with elves and a wizard, and no idea how to get back home.
              Hahahaha! Wind? What wind?

Comment

Originally posted by ETXHorseApple View Post
                Hahahaha! Wind? What wind?

I’m beginning to get tree sickness

Comment

Originally posted by ETXHorseApple View Post
                  Back at it this morning. After a slow day yesterday I’m hoping the movement will pick up today.

Question for thought. Do you shoot a doe this time of year when she walks out or do you let her walk in hopes of a buck being not far behind?
                  I exactly this earlier this morning. Had a doe with her yearling walk in. They didn’t get settled and a little 3 point was chasing the yearling around. He left them alone, and they both came out eating my corn at 20 yards. Hoped another buck would smell them.
                  It worked. They lured in a small spike and a 4 point. Not exactly what I wanted, but at least a little action. The spike and 4 point sparred a little right in front of my camera. Gonna pull the card after my hunt.

Comment

Slow for us this morning, saw 2 little bucks.

Comment

I passed on this buck I call Hyrack the day before this front hit. I got great video of him breeding a doe at 12 yards. Pretty dang cool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am getting a lot of daytime buck pictures on my Coverts this week. Just had another one at my feeder at noon. Angelina County.

Comment

2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                          If your buck to doe ratio is high, passing on does will not increase your chances of seeing bucks. In fact, if there are too many does to breed a buck does not have to “rut” as hard. He doesn’t have to chase as much, doesn’t have to fight others, establish dominance, etc.

If the buck to doe ratio is good, he will have to work much harder to find a hot doe which will increase your likelihood of seeing them moving.

If there were 100 chicks in a bar and you were the only guy, you’d have it pretty easy.

If there were 100 guys in a bar and 1 chick, you’d have to work pretty hard to pick her up.

I think not shooting does is a failed mentality and failed management program, but that’s just my $0.02.

Not shooting does equal more buck fawns, more buck fawns equal more bucks to hunt... You can have a ton of does and not have the ratio out of whack, I think there is a misconception about not shooting does.

I do agree with your statement one buck to tons of does is no good.

It’s hard for me to get on board with shooting the amount of does the state wants at time. I’m currently on a 7k acre lease and our quota is 54 does. There’s not 54 does on the whole place. It’s been shot out the 50 years before we took it over.

I’m not against shooting does but only when my population warrants it. I’ve done it both ways and I’d rather selectively shoot does.

I tried to post the link to the study we follow.

Type in Stuart Stedman “Buck Fawns on the Ground” it’s a study conducted out of the wildlife research center at TAMU Kingsville

Last edited by Tshelly; 10-26-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I think I’m going to head in after Pronghorn tonight if I can get away from the house, if not I’ll hunt local and chase Thumbguard.

Comment

Got one that I've been after for a while. Had some good tusks for my area.

https://youtu.be/yz11nnMviMU

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

I think I’m going to head in after Pronghorn tonight if I can get away from the house, if not I’ll hunt local and chase Thumbguard.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X