NFL overtime rule rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop them from scoring a TD and it won't matter. Defense counts

Mark this down as possibly the third time I have agreed with Smart on a Football matter. Ha!

Comment

The best team won. Nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Agreed. They just changed it a few years ago from sudden death first to score wins. Now you have to score a TD to not let the other side get the ball back

The coin toss doesn’t determine the winner. The defense not stopping **** determined the winner. Stop Brady, then drive down and kick a FG. If you can’t come up with a stop, you deserve to lose. System is perfect.
        I’d usually agree with you, but not here. To say they can’t get a stop so they deserve to lose, I don’t agree with. The Pats didn’t get a stop 4 times in that game, but they still won. I know, I know you just have to get a stop when it counts, but a lot of things can happen on one drive. A player gets tripped up, one missed call. Although now that I’m talking about it, I see the part I do agree with. I like the sudden death type feel it has. Backs are against the wall, make a stop or go to the house. I do agree with the concept of it. I just think, giving the other team a chance to counter will prove that either team on any given drive can give up a TD. That way, the team your saying that deserves to lose, it just won’t have anything to do with a coin toss.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
          I’d usually agree with you, but not here. To say they can’t get a stop so they deserve to lose, I don’t agree with. The Pats didn’t get a stop 4 times in that game, but they still won. I know, I know you just have to get a stop when it counts, but a lot of things can happen on one drive. A player gets tripped up, one missed call. Although now that I’m talking about it, I see the part I do agree with. I like the sudden death type feel it has. Backs are against the wall, make a stop or go to the house. I do agree with the concept of it. I just think, giving the other team a chance to counter will prove that either team on any given drive can give up a TD. That way, the team your saying that deserves to lose, it just won’t have anything to do with a coin toss.

They do give the team a chance to counter as long as they can hold them to a FG or make them punt. Again if you can’t keep them out of the endzone you deserved to lose. See the Rams-Saints OT for a example of a counter and it working

Comment

I'm fine with the OT rules. As stated, it used to be sudden death and even a field goal on the opening drive won the game. Back then, it really came down to a coin toss.

Now the rule is TD wins, but field goal, the other team gets the ball and can match the field goal or score TD for the win. I'm fine with it.

Oh and don't blame the Pats win on OT rules. Blame it on one idiot that decided to line up in the neutral zone. That play would have ended the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
              The saints won the toss they didn’t win . Stop somebody and maybe you can get the ball . But yeah I agree they need to change it .
              I’m not a saints fan, but they should’ve won in regulation. Refs completely botched that PI call

Comment

Agree

Comment

Maybe it should be a set time limit, say six minutes, most points wins. Equal opportunity.

Comment

If 55 stays out of the neutral zone, they wouldn’t have needed OT.

And Jones reaching around a OL and touching Brady’s shoulder pad is not roughing the passer.....unreal

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
                      Stop them from scoring a TD and it won't matter. Defense counts

Mark this down as possibly the third time I have agreed with Smart on a Football matter. Ha!
                      Defense does, so make both defenses show they’re worthy of the win or not

Comment

It should be like college OT

Comment

Originally posted by knapper View Post
                          If 55 stays out of the neutral zone, they wouldn’t have needed OT.

And Jones reaching around a OL and touching Brady’s shoulder pad is not roughing the passer.....unreal

Yup yup... this

Comment

NFL overtime rule rant

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                            Defense does, so make both defenses show they’re worthy of the win or not

They already had 4 quarters to equally show that.

Comment

It's the worst overtime rules at the highest level. Both offensies and defences should get a chance to be on the field

Modify the college overtime rules

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                They do give the team a chance to counter as long as they can hold them to a FG or make them punt. Again if you can’t keep them out of the endzone you deserved to lose. See the Rams-Saints OT for a example of a counter and it working
                                If the argument is, “if you can’t keep them out of the end zone the you deserve to lose.” Then why not make both teams do it?

Comment

Working...
                                X