Gun Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Cleaning

Been using hoppes number 9. Wet patch, copper brush, followed by another wet patch that comes out black. Repeat this process forever and never can get a clean patch out. Any suggestions on how to get these rifles cleaned or should I not worry about it and keep shooting?

I've gone to the foaming bore cleaners...pull a couple patches saturated with the Wipe Out Accelerator & then fill bore with the Wipe Out Foam. Let sit for a couple hours or overnight. Pull some dry patches through & follow up with a patch of lube.

#9 is old school & does not work as well as the newer solvents.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      I've gone to the foaming bore cleaners...pull a couple patches saturated with the Wipe Out Accelerator & then fill bore with the Wipe Out Foam. Let sit for a couple hours or overnight. Pull some dry patches through & follow up with a patch of lube.

#9 is old school & does not work as well as the newer solvents.

Are you running a brush down the barrel??

Comment

I also use bore foam along with Butch’s Bore Shine with a brush

IMO, the most important thing is a bore guide to prevent damage to the chamber and bore. Best $25 you will spend to protect your thousand dollar investment

Comment

I use KG1 carbon cleaner and KG12 big bore cleaner and have been really happy with them.

Patches and a nylon brush with a bore guide and one piece rod.

Although I don't clean them much

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            I also use bore foam along with Butch’s Bore Shine with a brush

IMO, the most important thing is a bore guide to prevent damage to the chamber and bore. Best $25 you will spend to protect your thousand dollar investment

Which guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
              Which guide?

X2, wondering same thing I have a cheap one on the way and plan on running sweets 7.62.

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                Which guide?

I have several ranging from $50 to $15

I like the Mike Lucas bore guide ($50) the most since it’s custom made on a lathe for your exact cartridge and chamber. It fits like a glove and has a cleaning rod adapter that fits into the bore guide body.

The $20 Tipton or Dewey bore guides also work yet have more “slop” because their not cartridge specific. The $20 Sinclair bore guide fits the chamber and has a rubber o-ring that fits right in the chamber. I also prefer a guide with a solvent port

I’ll post pics later since I’m not at home now

Comment

I run hoppes 9 on the brush, then wet patch till its clean. Never had it not come out clean

Comment

I use Ballistol Multi-Purpose Aerosol Can Lubricant Cleaner Protectant starting price from 4.99 to 39.99. Does anyone used this yet?

Comment

I honestly don't know what it is but I've got a gallon jug of something or other that my great grand father used on his. A single drop in the barrel and then a copper brush ran through four or five times. Run a patch though it once, then new patch, then run through over and over again until the patch comes out clean and dry. That stuff great grand daddy used is thick and smells a lot like diesel mixed with kerosene. Been using it for close to 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                        I run hoppes 9 on the brush, then wet patch till its clean. Never had it not come out clean
                        I probably have 300-400 rounds through my gun at the most. Been lightly cleaning it maybe gunslick foam boar cleaner every 20 rounds. Started using hoppes 9 and brush and 300 patches in no progress yet. I’m waiting til I get a bore guide and am going to try sweets 7.62. Supposed to be very good stuff

Comment

I don't use a bore guide with the foamers...I pull the patch through with a modified weed whacker string pierced sharp on one side & the other side is burned with a match, till it starts to melt & tapped / cooled off on a slightly wet flat surface so it will keep the patch.

I'll second Blake on the Lucas guides if you are going to use a rod...better off not cleaning at all vs ruining the throat or crown & no guide!! I haven't used used brushes in years. If I do use a guide, it's with an undersized brush & wrapped with 0000 steel wool & bore type baste / liquid. That's only if it's really dirty but the foam stuff has honestly kept my bbls shooting fine & it's so much easier.

Comment

I run a nylon brush down the barrel a few times first to loosen the crud. After that I run a wet patch of Butch’s Bore Shine on a brass jag, wait 2 minutes then run a dry patch. Repeat. After the second, sometimes third pass, that suckers clean. I then run a wet patch of of Hoppes, then a dry patch to clean up the excess. The whole process takes, maybe, 10 minutes.

I also use a bore guide and one-piece carbon fiber cleaning rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruggedhunts45 View Post
                              I probably have 300-400 rounds through my gun at the most. Been lightly cleaning it maybe gunslick foam boar cleaner every 20 rounds. Started using hoppes 9 and brush and 300 patches in no progress yet. I’m waiting til I get a bore guide and am going to try sweets 7.62. Supposed to be very good stuff
                              Yeah might have to run the brush with the guides some more and loosen what ever seems deposited in there. Even with dirty milsurp 7.62x54r , it usually comes out clean within an hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X