Hard to find a lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to find a lease

In all of the wisdom on this site, why is it so hard to find a good family lease? Is it the high prices or lack of advertising? It seams there are several people with what I would say are big budgets and they are still having a hard time finding a place.

Just curious as to why it is so difficult.

Holy cow, no responses and to page 2 already.

I dont get it either. I know that many dont hunt because of the cost but there is still a super high demand. I know most of the good leases already have a waiting list, usually friends, coworkers and family of members. Otherwise its the less desirabe places that consistently have openings. Timing is part of it, too. In the ends its a sellers market, no need to find buyers. ( respond to "looking for" ads ) They will come to you. Kinda like a hot chick doesnt go looking for guys. They come to her.

Also seems like post titles that indicate a search for lease seem to repel views...

Other than that I dont know.

Comment

In years past I had some not so good "deer" leases. Didn't kill the greatest deer but had the greatest times and stored wonderful memories. Maybe expectations changing makes it harder to find a lease these days.

Comment

Too early. Deer season is still going on. My lease contract is until April. Most go until late summer. We looked for 3 months and drove about 2000 miles looking at places, also paid memberships for a couple of these hunting lease websites (where we actually found our place), and on facebook there are several group pages with good leases to look on. My advice is be patient and wait at least until March before you really start to look.

At this time I would get your group together and set a budget and a general area with general interest (dove,duck,hogs,quail,varmints,camp house, water, electric,South,East,West).

Comment

Some people say they have looked for a lease everywhere and can't find one. What they really mean is they posted on TBH or FB that they were looking for a lease and one hasn't fallen in their lap yet. Get out there and talk to people. Go to the feed store, the diner in small towns, etc. Put up fliers. Talk to the old timers. We met our land owner in a diner. Just started talking to him because he was alone and at the table next to us. We invited him to join our table for breakfast. Ended up sitting there for almost 2 hours talking with him. He mentioned that he needed help redoing a shed. We had nothing important going on so we went over and helped him. At the end of the day he lease us his 300+ acres for $1600 total.

Now I'm not saying it will happen like that every time, but I have found very few leases while cruising the internet. Also, makes sure you have cash in your pocket, because if a good lease comes up and you don't have the cash ready to throw down on it, someone else will.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
            Some people say they have looked for a lease everywhere and can't find one. What they really mean is they posted on TBH or FB that they were looking for a lease and one hasn't fallen in their lap yet. Get out there and talk to people. Go to the feed store, the diner in small towns, etc. Put up fliers. Talk to the old timers. We met our land owner in a diner. Just started talking to him because he was alone and at the table next to us. We invited him to join our table for breakfast. Ended up sitting there for almost 2 hours talking with him. He mentioned that he needed help redoing a shed. We had nothing important going on so we went over and helped him. At the end of the day he lease us his 300+ acres for $1600 total.

Now I'm not saying it will happen like that every time, but I have found very few leases while cruising the internet. Also, makes sure you have cash in your pocket, because if a good lease comes up and you don't have the cash ready to throw down on it, someone else will.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There’s on in Archer county that looks good. Saw the ad

Comment

The bottom line is your not going to find a lot of good deals searching online, because people jump on them so fast. Plus, like was said, most places don't have to advertise. My last lease I found on one of my kids band trips. Was chaperoning and was paired up with another dad. We started talking and he was manager of a South Texas lease. They have been on that land a long time. It was cheap, low pressure, and had some incredible deer. Stayed on it three years. Just too far to drive and my boys don't really go with me anymore, since they graduated. So I'm now looking for something closer to home.
                Last edited by crawdaddct; 01-09-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

5 years ago, a buddy and I found a pretty good property with a deer herd that needed work. We have developed a great friendship with the landowner and are finally starting to see results. We put a lot of time and a little bit of money to get things where it needs to be. The hardest thing is finding the right people to share it with. We have had a few lease members come and go, but that's because they weren't willing to wait out the reward. Talking to several people over the years looking for leases, I'm realizing that not too many people are willing to put in the time (years). They want instant results. Once they get on and aren't seeing what they expected, they shoot the best deer they can find no matter the age, and move on to the next property the following year. That's a big factor of why you see such high volumes of people looking for a lease. I would suggest find a property that you can make work and ride it out.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    5 years ago, a buddy and I found a pretty good property with a deer herd that needed work. We have developed a great friendship with the landowner and are finally starting to see results. We put a lot of time and a little bit of money to get things where it needs to be. The hardest thing is finding the right people to share it with. We have had a few lease members come and go, but that's because they weren't willing to wait out the reward. Talking to several people over the years looking for leases, I'm realizing that not too many people are willing to put in the time (years). They want instant results. Once they get on and aren't seeing what they expected, they shoot the best deer they can find no matter the age, and move on to the next property the following year. That's a big factor of why you see such high volumes of people looking for a lease. I would suggest find a property that you can make work and ride it out.
                    You my friend just knocked one outta the park
                    And summed up my whole philosophy on deerlease stuff

Comment

Bingo !

Comment

OP
                        you need to drive county roads and when you see a place that looks interesting write down the address. gather several of these then do CAD searches on county websites.(someone posted an app to do this a while back) CAD search will give you a name and mailing address for owners. Then mail letters. Or knock on doors and ask.

Comment

Have you ever employed the services of a lease broker? You might give that a shot. A group of us used one in the Junction area about 10 years ago and got set up with a fantastic place with a great landowner.

Comment

I've seen that evident on multiple hunting forums. One in particular that I recall, a guy posted about a lease that he was trying to build right, and stated that it would be a few years of shooting culls/trash bucks before they started taking trophies. And he was ridiculed by a few fellas, one even going so far as to say "let me know when y'all start taking trophies and I'll join" cause that will make a guy who sacrifices for a few years want you as one of his lease members

Comment

A lot of it depends on how serious a deer hunter you are and how deep your pockets are. By serious, I mean if your goal is to grow and shoot big bucks, then there have been leases posted on here for that. There will be many "you can's", "you can'ts", and "you musts", pay 3k-5k and there are some that will do that. There are many reasonably priced leases in parts of the state that many on here would never hunt (i.e. east Texas). And then it depends on what you want out of a lease. To me, time in the outdoors means as much or more to me than shooting a 150" buck. I hunt in east Texas because I live in east Texas- of the two leases I hunt the farthest is 35 minutes away. I like putting in food plots, like checking what is showing up on camera, and like sitting in the stand. I was able to hunt every weekend from the beginning of bow season and many times during the week after work. If I was leasing a few hundred miles away then I would have had less time in the woods. After all that time in the woods what was the result? Zero deer killed (although I still have muzzle loader season) but lots of quality time in the stand and with the guys on the two leases I am on setting up food plots and hunting areas. Although no blood on the ground, yet, I have some quality bucks in the areas that keep hope alive. That's just my two cents worth from what I have observed and experienced.

Comment

Working...
                              X