Chemo is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chemo is it worth it?

Folks I need some help. My wife recently had a double mastectomy. They were able to remove all of the cancer in her left breast and the right breast was removed as a preventive plus cosmetic. The lymph nods they removed , one on the left and three on the right, were all negative. The her test was negative. Her oncologist wants her to do 15rnds of chemo as a preventive and also take a pill that slows her hormones and eventually puts her into menopause. She is only 39. I cant wrap my head around putting her body through that nightmare as a preventive. Whats worse is she could go through it all and the cancer could still come back. My thought process is take the pill and be proactive about monitoring her situation and skip the chemo. Am I wrong? I am really worried she will never be the same after the chemo. I would feel different if there was something there that they could not remove but thats not the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no help but prayers for your wife and family

Comment

My wife and I have agreed that neither of us will ever take Chemo.. To many family members and friends have suffered while taking that expensive junk only to die.. IMO, from what Ive witnessed, it does not work.

Prayers for you and you wife.

Comment

Dang tough question, but with the circumstances you listed I’d be be seeking a professional second opinion.
        And general advice such as you are asking for here.

Comment

Prayers

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            My wife and I have agreed that neither of us will ever take Chemo.. To many family members and friends have suffered while taking that expensive junk only to die.. IMO, from what Ive witnessed, it does not work.

Prayers for you and you wife.
            Worked for 2 people I know and 1 who it didn't work for but I don't think he really did treatment. Get a second or third opinion.

Comment

My neighbor got cancer and had to live in a hospital in San Antonio for months while getting chemo treatments, he moved back home after it was done and he passed away within two months I believe it was. I’d say it’s not worth it but that’s just my opinion.

Comment

I know 3 lady’s that had breast cancer went through chemo was on the the 5 yr pill and cancer showed back up somewhere else in their body.

Comment

I refuse to directly say what I would do or for sure what you and your wife should do, that is a very personal decision. I will say there are alternatives and you and the wife need to take the time to research the alternatives so that you can make an educated decision that you both will feel good about. Integrated medicine, alternative medicines, or homeopathic the wormhole goes deep with good and bad information everywhere, but not any worse than conventional medicine. I will suggest that you look into a treatment plan that uses the food you eat as the primary treatment. Prayers for you both and hoping you find the treatment that works for you.

Comment

I've taken care of patients for a few years now. IV chemo is tough on everyone. The advantage that she has is that she is very young. It does take their energy. She may have some side effects and even need to take blood. It's a tough road to travel.

Comment

Praying for you. My grandma did chemo and it is some bad bad stuff.

Comment

I can tell you this.

My sister got cervical cancer and they did surgery to remove what they could; basically removed all of her reproductive organs and a lot of cancer.

She didn't want to do chemo and radiation but I sort of shamed her into doing it so she did.

During that the cancer spread to her liver, kidneys and lungs and she died a short time later.

I've always felt guilty that I caused her to be in misery the last days of her life.

One of my friend's dad got pancreatic cancer. The doctors wanted him to do chemo and radiation and my buddy remembered what I had told him about my sister.

His dad asked the doctor if the chemo and radiation was going to save him and he was told no, that it would not. He asked the doctor if the final days of his life would be easier if he didn't do chemo and radiation and he was told that yes it would so he chose not to do it.

Different scenarios for you since they want your wife to do this to prevent cancer from returning but chemo and radiation is to get rid of cancer. So do they not think it's gone?

It's a personal choice and I think it's up to her and no one else really.

But after what I watched my sister go through I wouldn't do it.

Prayers for your wife and you.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

I think it's like any medication, some people will have great results and some will just have terrible side effects. My father-in-law got cancer in 2009, and we thought he only had a few months left. He started treatment and lived another 3 years. He didn't have any problems with the chemo. He actually would drive himself just over an hour to Amarillo, have the treatment, then drive himself back home.

Like has been said, it is very much a personal decision. Prayers for you and your wife.

Comment

Man I don’t know the answer. It’s a tough call but we will keep your family in our prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X