Electrical question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question.

How many GFCI outlets need to be on a circuit? My outlet in the garage keeps tripping and I think it is the outlet gone bad. The thing is, it is on the same circuit as the master bathroom which has a GFCI there too. Can I just put a normal outlet in the garage? My house is wired goofy as heck. Thanks.

Electrical question.

Garage needs to be GFCI’d to be up to code
    Sounds like they ran from garage on the line side of GFCI to master

There is no certain amount of GFCIs a circuit needs to have
    It all depends on location of outlets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it is the same circuit you can put a GFCI for the first receptacle and all the plugs in circuit after it will be protected.

Comment

BY code you can only have 8 devices on a circuit

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
          Garage needs to be GFCI’d to be up to code
          Sounds like they ran from garage on the line side of GFCI to master

There is no certain amount of GFCIs a circuit needs to have
          It all depends on location of outlets

The outlet on the other wall of the garage is not GFCI. Wasn't when I moved in.

Comment

Electrical question.

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
            The outlet on the other wall of the garage is not GFCI. Wasn't when I moved in.

It should be protected by existing GFCI in garage.

It’s not working when GFCI trips is it?

Comment

It should be protected by existing GFCI in garage.

It’s not working when GFCI trips is it?

Yes. It is on another circuit. I'm telling you, my house is wired stupid. The non GFCI outlet is on the circuit for the front and back porch outlets.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post

Can you reference that code please?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning48 View Post
                  Although it has been many years since I was a Journeyman, I've never heard of that code.. but think it is more of a guideline. We used the 8-10 rule for a normal 20 circuit in a residential setting. Kitchens, Bathrooms, Garage rule was 6-8.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                    Although it has been many years since I was a Journeyman, I've never heard of that code.. but think it is more of a guideline. We used the 8-10 rule for a normal 20 circuit in a residential setting. Kitchens, Bathrooms, Garage rule was 6-8.
                    Was thinking the same myself. 10 for a circuit breaker, 5 on a GFCI, it's been several years for me too though.

Comment

Can you reference that code please?

I'm thinking that might be a local jurisdiction thing, although I haven't done much residential work in years. I hate GFCI recepticles in garages. I wonder how many freezers full of food have gone to waste because of a tripped GFCI?

Comment

Yes. It is on another circuit. I'm telling you, my house is wired stupid. The non GFCI outlet is on the circuit for the front and back porch outlets.
                        Are the porch outlets the only exteriors? One should be a gfci and that would cover your connected garage outlet. If the gfci in the garage is tripped does the master bath not work and vise versa if the master bath is tripped does the garage not work?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                          Are the porch outlets the only exteriors? One should be a gfci and that would cover your connected garage outlet. If the gfci in the garage is tripped does the master bath not work and vise versa if the master bath is tripped does the garage not work?
                          Porch's are only exterior outlets. And yes, the GFCI's are working like you have described.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                            I'm thinking that might be a local jurisdiction thing, although I haven't done much residential work in years. I hate GFCI recepticles in garages. I wonder how many freezers full of food have gone to waste because of a tripped GFCI?
                            I hate that outlet out there. Being tied into the bathroom, I keep a little night light on that circuit for a warning signal. If it is not on, I head for the garage. I think with the heat, cold, dust and just crap from me working out there, GFCI's just crap out after a while.

My wife just called and she had to get the extension cord and plug the freeze into the other outlet.

Comment

I hate that outlet out there. Being tied into the bathroom, I keep a little night light on that circuit for a warning signal. If it is not on, I head for the garage. I think with the heat, cold, dust and just crap from me working out there, GFCI's just crap out after a while.

My wife just called and she had to get the extension cord and plug the freeze into the other outlet.
                              This is the reason I installed an a quad for my freezers that are NOT on gfci, had one trip a few years ago and thawed lots of meat. When we go to sell ill swap them out to meet code, or just pull the whole circuit out.

Comment

Working...
                              X