6.5 Grendel vs 300 blackout for truck gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel vs 300 blackout for truck gun

Interested in some opinions on the better hunting cartridges for 300yds and in - will be shot 100% of the time suppressed. 18" barrel more than likely, supersonic rounds out of both - 123gr in Grendel and 110gr in 300 BLK...

Is one substantially better or are they about the same with the above mentioned parameters?

For 300 yards I would go with the 6.5, the 300 blackout isn't gonna have the punch the 6.5 will out to that distance

Comment

I have both...6.5 Grendel.

Comment

At 18", hands down the grendel. At any range.
        Last edited by sir shovelhands; 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

6.5 Grendel for that distance

Comment

Past 100yds.......Grendel.

Comment

Wow pretty unanimous so far

Comment

Yeah, I love 300blk and own 2 of them, but supersonic and 300yds made the decision easy

Comment

Grendel

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                    Interested in some opinions on the better hunting cartridges for 300yds and in - will be shot 100% of the time suppressed. 18" barrel more than likely, supersonic rounds out of both - 123gr in Grendel and 110gr in 300 BLK...

Is one substantially better or are they about the same with the above mentioned parameters?
                    300BLK is only cool in a 9 inch or shorter barrel if you ask me. If you're going to go with a long barrel, pick a caliber that benefits from it—here being 6.5 Grendel.

At 300 yards the 6.5G will still be moving 2090fps and will deliver 1193 FPE with a bullet drop of 16 inches.

The BLK at 300yards will be moving 1710fps and will deliver 714fpe, or only 59% of the energy of the Grendel. Bullet drop will be 20 inches.

Comment

I have tried and tried to like the 300 BO. However, I got into the 6.5 Grendel first and to me there is no comparison. An 18" Grendel will do whatever you need it to in Texas.

Comment

You realize a blackout is going to be pushing only 600 ft/lbs of energy at that range? Not to mention the bullet will have dropped about a foot-and-a-half.

For a "truck gun" I like the blackout because it should have a stubby 9" barrel and be for 100yds or less. For a 300 yd gun, 18"+ Grendel all day. Apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          You realize a blackout is going to be pushing only 600 ft/lbs of energy at that range? Not to mention the bullet will have dropped about a foot-and-a-half.

For a "truck gun" I like the blackout because it should have a stubby 9" barrel and be for 100yds or less. For a 300 yd gun, 18"+ Grendel all day. Apples and oranges.

Agree. I would suggest the BO to 150 if supersonic. My 300s with subs are effective (regarding penetration and expansion) to 100, supers to 150, but I have 8" barrels on mine and our deer are small bodied. Also prefer the 300 for small box blinds, easy to get pointed down range without hitting the wall or window, similar to being in a truck. Beyond 150 there is no comparison, but I just don't have 300 yards in the east Texas scrub I hunt in, so a moot point for me. I'll add that personally I like the Creedmore for ammo availability vs the Grendel, but there are enough threads on this subject already.

Comment

Another vote for Grendel. I kind of regret building a 300bk. As handy as it is with a suppressor, I'm less than impressed with its accuracy and, especially, with the performance of all the factory ammo. I'm fixing to build a Grendel upper and I'm only keeping the 300bk upper so I can comply with NFA rules to return the upper to the original configuration. I think the 300bk is more hype than substance for use as anything other than clearing rooms with subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And another vote for the Grendel, however....The 300 will use standard mags and the Grendel will need special mags(be sure to mark your Mags well). Under 100 the 300blk sub or supersonic. Over that and its the Grendel all day long.

Comment

Working...
                              X