Too Hot to Hunt????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Hot to Hunt????

Next Tuesday I am supposed to meet up with two gents from Ruger and my Buddy, Larry Weishuhn to hunt Axis between Garven Store and Rocksprings. I checked the weather and they are predicting 102-105 degrees while we are there. We will be hunting with Ruger Redhawks in .44 Mag tipped off with Trijicon RMR sights. I will be shooting Hornady 240 grain XTP ammo.
    Believe it or not, I have never killed an axis buck, only does for meat...this will be something new and different for me. I hope that the excessive heat does not slow them from moving as I plan to do some calling, rattling and when all else fails, spot and stalk to the roaring bucks.
    Adios,
    Gary

They live in the heat every day. Hunt water holes early and late. Also, listen for their bellows early and late. If you hear one close enough, stalk it. During the rest of the day, they'll be laid up in the shade in a breezy spot. Look for hillsides that are catching the wind while providing some shade.

Stalk in the shadows as much as possible. Take 2 or 3 steps, stop and glass every nook and cranny in the brush ahead and all around you. Take 2 or 3 more steps, stop and glass again. Work slowly into the wind. Carry shooting sticks with you. You can use them to rest your binocs on while glassing as well as when you get to shoot. I like the Jim Shockey Primos Trigger Sticks. They're easily adjusted from standing height to kneeling height. I carry them full length for standing and glassing. Then I drop them down whenever needed for a shot or for glassing under thick cover as I kneel down or sit.

I haven't done a lot of calling for axis yet. But I'm sure it can be effective as well.

Comment

I'd be all over it Hot or not! Great time of year and Rut is in full swing. Good luck!

Comment

x2 with what Shane said. I would add that hunting shaded water holes mid-day would be worth a try also. We saw some getting a drink last sunday and it was close to 100 degrees at 1 pm that day. The big bucks are rutting now so you'll most likely see the big boys with a group of does. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck!! Larry was a cool cat! He picked up dock shooting for crappie pretty quick!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s pretty warm shoot straight and get them on ice quickly.

Comment

Larry is a great guy and I have hunted with him on various hunts for over 25 years. We are finally getting common sponsors for our TV shows so that we can do more hunting together. To date our common sponsors are Ruger, Trijicon and Hornady which at least covers the shooting end of the game. We feel very blessed to have them as sponsors and feel that they are the best at what they do.
              I am well aware that sitting around water might be the most productive method of hunting this heat but sitting ain't my style. I am not a fan of the Trigger Sticks, prefer to make my own that will double as a walking stick and then fold out in the event that I need to take a shot while standing.
              I am hoping that the recoil from the handgun does not aggravate my arthritis in my hands and fingers...it's heck to get old.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

I'd hunt them at night. lol. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                  Larry is a great guy and I have hunted with him on various hunts for over 25 years. We are finally getting common sponsors for our TV shows so that we can do more hunting together. To date our common sponsors are Ruger, Trijicon and Hornady which at least covers the shooting end of the game. We feel very blessed to have them as sponsors and feel that they are the best at what they do.
                  I am well aware that sitting around water might be the most productive method of hunting this heat but sitting ain't my style. I am not a fan of the Trigger Sticks, prefer to make my own that will double as a walking stick and then fold out in the event that I need to take a shot while standing.
                  I am hoping that the recoil from the handgun does not aggravate my arthritis in my hands and fingers...it's heck to get old.
                  Adios,
                  Gary
                  What show?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would probably do it just to hang out with Larry again. Such a nice guy !

Comment

Ol Larry still issue a "warning shot" about 1 out of 4 critters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        Curious to see your sticks. Maybe I'll make one. Can you post a pic?

Comment

I will be chasing Axis Saturday evening in Eldorado. The temp is suppose to be 106

Comment

I killed my first axis in that area this time last year. They’ll hit water hard right before dark

Comment

The bigger bucks are getting really stupid right now. I've seen them early morning, mid-day, late evening feeding, following does, etc. It shouldn't be too hard to whack a good one.

Heck, there's a big herd of them here in town near my home. They skirt through the neighborhood to get to a hay field that's surrounded by homes.

Comment

Working...
                              X