338-06 Build and test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

338-06 Build and test

Decided to re-barrel and rebuild my 30-06 Tikka in 338-06 A-Square. Used a Hardy Carbon wrapped barrel, new bolt handle, bolt shroud and bottom metal. Dropped the whole thing in a Bell & Carlson M40 stock.

After break in I tried some reloads at 100yds. Load #5 is a winner.

Looks good!

Comment

Wow!
      That's a whole lot of lead in a little bitty hole!

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
        Wow!
        That's a whole lot of lead in a little bitty hole!
        225 gr SST's!

Comment

I bought an XL7 in 30-06 for $200 and then ordered a short chambered barrel in 338-06 AI. I finished reaming the chamber, got rid of the barrel nut and was slinging 225 TSX's at nearly 2700 fps. It's only a 23" barrel and I find it to be an awesome balance. It's a blast to shoot, doesn't beat you to death like a magnum. Wish I could get that kind of accuracy but stock options are limited with the Marlin and all the brass work takes a lot of time working up from 06 cases. Primer pockets stretched out pretty quick with Win brass.
          I've got some 338-06 Norma cases now and 210's but haven't had a chance to play with them.

H-4350?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
              I bought an XL7 in 30-06 for $200 and then ordered a short chambered barrel in 338-06 AI. I finished reaming the chamber, got rid of the barrel nut and was slinging 225 TSX's at nearly 2700 fps. It's only a 23" barrel and I find it to be an awesome balance. It's a blast to shoot, doesn't beat you to death like a magnum. Wish I could get that kind of accuracy but stock options are limited with the Marlin and all the brass work takes a lot of time working up from 06 cases. Primer pockets stretched out pretty quick with Win brass.
              I've got some 338-06 Norma cases now and 210's but haven't had a chance to play with them.

H-4350?
              Yes I worked up to a max load of H4350 slightly compressed. I sized up Federal brass. Some of those necks were so tight you couldn't seat the bullets without crushing the shoulder (even after annealing the case necks). I'm still sorting thru them. Mine has a 26" barrel. Definitely kicks less than my 300WBY (which isn't that bad). In fact I shot the gun for years in 30-06 before I made the change. Sure does not feel like it kicks any harder at all.

Every place I've looked has the Norma 338-06 cases on back order. I ordered some PCI that is 225gr SST's loaded in Norma brass. I used them to break in the barrel. Now I have 20pcs of Norma.
              Last edited by ItsLeo; 05-16-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Wow, heck of a shooter. Still has the stock trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                    Wow, heck of a shooter. Still has the stock trigger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Yes, still has stock trigger.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I have always wanted one of these.

Comment

Nice! Have you tried the Lee Factory crimper? The same one used for 338 Win Mag works for the 338-06.

Comment

I've never crimped

Comment

I've never crimped
                              Those heavy bullets will easily move with less recoil than the lighter ones. You might be getting some "set back" on other cartridges in the magazine. Take the calipers to them and check them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X