6.5 Grendel vs 6.5 Grendel II chamber/barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel vs 6.5 Grendel II chamber/barrel

Ok I have tried to read what I could find on the internet about the differences on the Grendel vs Grendel II chamber/barrel. From what I read it is the difference in the throat area of the chamber? Is this right or is there more to it?

Heck I have owned one for several months and did not know there was two different types!

Originally posted by Killer View Post
    Ok I have tried to read what I could find on the internet about the differences on the Grendel vs Grendel II chamber/barrel. From what I read it is the difference in the throat area of the chamber? Is this right or is there more to it?

Heck I have owned one for several months and did not know there was two different types!
    For all intents and purposes......no difference. Bill Alexander was very strict with what mfgs could and could not do. Before it was SAAMI spec several mfgs made variations that were still grendels, .264 LBC is a prime example. SAAMI came up with something that would work with all of these.

The original used a compound throat that was harder to mfg. but worked better with bullets being off the lands.

The new makes slight changes to this throat which makes it easier to make the barrels.

That is what I was told, and what I uncovered. It may or may not be 100% accurate.

I do know that the ammo for both types is interchangeable.

Comment

That about what I read also. I guess simlar to the 223/5.56 and the 223 Wylde differences.

Is one better than the other as far as accuracy or anything else?

Comment

Not that I have seen or heard to my knowledge. I ran across something the other day that explained the differences pretty well but cant access it though this freaking firewall while I am at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
          That about what I read also. I guess simlar to the 223/5.56 and the 223 Wylde differences.

Is one better than the other as far as accuracy or anything else?
          Getting a quality barrel from a quality mfg. I like Satern more than any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
            Getting a quality barrel from a quality mfg. I like Satern more than any other.
            Faxon supposedly has a high(er than most) quality barrel out there also. No person experience though.

Comment

I would concentrate on getting a quality barrel and matching bolt. A quality matching set can be had four $300 and up. Be sure it is a hard use bolt as the lighter weight bolts have trouble breaking extractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett A View Post
                I would concentrate on getting a quality barrel and matching bolt. A quality matching set can be had four $300 and up. Be sure it is a hard use bolt as the lighter weight bolts have trouble breaking extractors.
                The broken extractors come from no-adj gas blocks.

Comment

The 65Grendelforum has some sticky threads with more type 1/type II information than most will want to know Some have hit close above. Back in the early days of the Grendel bolts for the then available 7.62X39 were used but there were improvements needed and the Grendel II bolt and chamber were created to match. A Type 2 chamber has a recessed bolt face .136 inches deep while the 7.62X39 bolt is recessed .125 inches.

Some other manufactures threw in more confusion calling their non compound throat Grendel II (BHW). LBC changed just enough to be Grendel but not a SAAMI Grendel.

The SAMMI Grendel chamber has the compound throat and .136 bolt depth

I have one that is Type I bolt and barrel in an AR and a SAAMI spec barrel on the boltaction. If I were buying another today it would be a SAAMI spec chamber and bolt and there are several very good barrel manufactures Lilja, Bartlein, and Brux would all be high on my list but the Faxon barrels have been proving to be good value barrels with SAAMI chambers. Over on that forum I mentioned earlier there are usually some Faxon barrel group buys and bolt group buys

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                    The 65Grendelforum has some sticky threads with more type 1/type II information than most will want to know Some have hit close above. Back in the early days of the Grendel bolts for the then available 7.62X39 were used but there were improvements needed and the Grendel II bolt and chamber were created to match. A Type 2 chamber has a recessed bolt face .136 inches deep while the 7.62X39 bolt is recessed .125 inches.

Some other manufactures threw in more confusion calling their non compound throat Grendel II (BHW). LBC changed just enough to be Grendel but not a SAAMI Grendel.

I have one that is Type I bolt and barrel in an AR and a SAAMI spec barrel on the boltaction. If I were buying another today it would be a SAAMI spec chamber and bolt and there are several very good barrel manufactures Lilja, Bartlein, and Brux would all be high on my list but the Faxon barrels have been proving to be good value barrels with SAAMI chambers. Over on that forum I mentioned earlier there are usually some Faxon barrel group buys and bolt group buys
                    Exactly. 65grendel forum is a wealth of info. I stalked that forum for months before I finally pulled the trigger and built mine. I went cheap with a BCA barrel and hard use bolt. Have over 500 rounds through mine with no problems at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post

That’s what I was looking for but couldn’t get access to.

Thanks

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If you ask me someone screwer up the designations. Type II is the original grendel design and type I is the saami cartridge. Bass-ackerds.

Comment

Here is a visual for those that benefit from the visual stuff like me...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Actually there are three or four variations of 6.5 Grendel chamberings. The original 6.5 Grendel, then the 6.5 Grendel II and the 6.5 Grendel LBC. The Grendel II and the LBC have different throats for the purpose of improved accuracy.

Comment

Im pretty sure the original is the type II, Bill Alexanders design.

Comment

Working...
                              X