Editing software discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing software discussion

I've been using Adobe products for many years but I'm not big on the subscription model. I built a new computer about 3 weeks ago and decided to try the CC with a new email addy so it would not be connected to my old PC with LR6 and PS5. The new PC has more umph to it than the old. Having said that...

I'm finding that LR and PS CC 2018 really drags and is not as responsive as the older versions. Some tools do not work as well for me either. Might be user error/inexperience with the new product or might not be. I don't know yet. I do know this. I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm curious to hear experiences with other software. I'm currently exploring
    Capture One (LR alternative)
    Affinity Photo
    Corel Paintshop Pro
    Luminar

to name a few. I'd be curious to hear what you guys are thinking on this. Hopefully we can get a meaningful and helpful discussion going.

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
    I've been using Adobe products for many years but I'm not big on the subscription model. I built a new computer about 3 weeks ago and decided to try the CC with a new email addy so it would not be connected to my old PC with LR6 and PS5. The new PC has more umph to it than the old. Having said that...

I'm finding that LR and PS CC 2018 really drags and is not as responsive as the older versions. Some tools do not work as well for me either. Might be user error/inexperience with the new product or might not be. I don't know yet. I do know this. I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm curious to hear experiences with other software. I'm currently exploring

Capture One (LR alternative)

Affinity Photo

Corel Paintshop Pro

Luminar

to name a few. I'd be curious to hear what you guys are thinking on this. Hopefully we can get a meaningful and helpful discussion going.

I recently switched to luminar 2018 and love it. It’s like photoshop and Lightroom had a baby that is more powerful than Lightroom and less cumbersome than photoshop with many of the functions from photoshop I need. They also have Aurora hdr which is s good tool if you shoot landscape.

The only issue that I am not a fan of is the lack of a library/catalogue. They claim to be adding it in early 2018. If that goes through as planned Adobe is off of my computer. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by candjbell View Post
      I recently switched to luminar 2018 and love it. It’s like photoshop and Lightroom had a baby that is more powerful than Lightroom and less cumbersome than photoshop with many of the functions from photoshop I need. They also have Aurora hdr which is s good tool if you shoot landscape.

The only issue that I am not a fan of is the lack of a library/catalogue. They claim to be adding it in early 2018. If that goes through as planned Adobe is off of my computer. Hope this helps

Plus there is a free trial of all I believe.

Comment

Thanks for that input. LR is convenient and quick for organizing and syncing multiple like photo edits and I now require this. LR is a start for my processing normally. Capture One is suppose to be good alternative but is expensive. I just found Luminar and would really like to try it but I do require the cataloging.

Comment

Bill M what kind of computer are you running. I'm looking to buy one so I'm looking for ideas!

Comment

Bill,
            I'm curious why the subscription is a problem? I found it to be more or less painless and I feel if I'm going to use it, I need to pay for it...and it's nice to stay current.

I'm also what tools are lagging? I have a 3-4 year old pc and I don't have a lot of issues with LR. I admit, syncing settings across 4000 photos for a timelapse takes a little time, but nothing else I've done has been very laggy.

I read about a tool called Darktable that is an alternative and is now available for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ryno77 View Post
              Bill M what kind of computer are you running. I'm looking to buy one so I'm looking for ideas!
              I built my own recently.

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              Bill,
              I'm curious why the subscription is a problem? I found it to be more or less painless and I feel if I'm going to use it, I need to pay for it...and it's nice to stay current.

I'm also what tools are lagging? I have a 3-4 year old pc and I don't have a lot of issues with LR. I admit, syncing settings across 4000 photos for a timelapse takes a little time, but nothing else I've done has been very laggy.

I read about a tool called Darktable that is an alternative and is now available for Windows.

http://youtu.be/IwoHkXqHTCc
              Casey it's not LR as much as it is PS. Isolating areas and using some of those tools are much slower than in my other versions. The focus select command will crash the software and I have learned this is not an isolated problem. My workflow in LR is pretty basic as anything that will be published most of the time spends a little time in PS as well. I will check out the youtube link, thanks.

Comment

Saw this on another site, mentioned by Casey above.

Here is a short list of highlights where darktable can improve your digital photography processing workflow and help you to make better images with less effort. You can find a more detailed description of every single item in our online user manual. General Features Non-destructive editing throughout the complete workflow, your original images are never modified. Take advantage of the real power of raw: All darktable core functions operate on 4x32-bit floating point pixel buffers, enabling SSE instructions for speedups.

Comment

Add to the list for LR replacement. I have a friend that is going to try this one.

DxO PhotoLab

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    Bill,

http://youtu.be/IwoHkXqHTCc
                    Casey I had used an older used cpu in the new machine 'cause I had it. It was replaced this morning and the machine/editing software is much quicker now. I did read that the lag in PS/LR isn't an isolated problem either.

Comment

Working...
                    X