New PC for Photo Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC for Photo Editing

My current setup just isn't cutting it as far as running Lightroom and Photoshop, and it's an older All-in-One, so I'm limited on upgrades. Looking at buying a stand alone tower, so I can add monitors and whatnot as I see fit.

I have saved up a handful of Best Buy gift cards, and have some Best Buy Rewards $$$ as well, so I would like to purchase something off the shelf, if possible. Here's what I'm leaning toward:

Best Buy Link

Intel Core i7
    16GB Ram
    256 GB SSD
    1TB Hard Drive

What are your thoughts on this setup? I'm thinking the SSD should help speed up my photo editing software. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

For photo editing, focus on RAM and processor speed. That said, once I went to a SSD I could never use a computer with a conventional HD again. The speed difference for just basic tasks was amazing.

LWD

Comment

I just built a new one 2 weeks ago and it's fast but the LR and PS CC aren't quick on it but everything else flies. AMD Athlon II, 16 RAM. I also have a 1 TB SSD drive.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
        For photo editing, focus on RAM and processor speed. That said, once I went to a SSD I could never use a computer with a conventional HD again. The speed difference for just basic tasks was amazing.

LWD
        Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
          Thanks for the tips!

Not an apple guy? I made the switch last year an do not think I will go back to a pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by candjbell View Post
            Not an apple guy? I made the switch last year an do not think I will go back to a pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Im not anti-Apple, I'm just more comfortable with a PC. Been using PC's for work and home for close to 20 years now.

As expensive as Apple machines are, I'd hate to spend all that money, just to end up not liking it.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, though!

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
              Im not anti-Apple, I'm just more comfortable with a PC. Been using PC's for work and home for close to 20 years now.

As expensive as Apple machines are, I'd hate to spend all that money, just to end up not liking it.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, though!

You can run Windows as a virtual machine on a MAC.

Never PC again here. Been MAC since 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well, the new PC/Mac is going to have to wait. Went into Best Buy with a handful of gift cards yesterday, and came out with a new 6D MkII. Made the jump to full frame. Thankfully, two of my current lenses are compatible, so I'm not starting from scratch, completely. Looking forward to getting started with it!

Comment

Any more Mac vs PC opinions?

Comment

On the PC. your video card is also important.

Comment

I don't think your 1TB hard drive is large enough. I won't buy anything smaller than 2TB and I have a couple of 4s now.

Processor and RAM as mentioned above.

Get a good, or great, monitor. It is the real key to what you experience with your machine. I bought a BenQ that was highly rated for photo editing and had a great price. It's a great screen.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          I don't think your 1TB hard drive is large enough. I won't buy anything smaller than 2TB and I have a couple of 4s now.

Processor and RAM as mentioned above.

Get a good, or great, monitor. It is the real key to what you experience with your machine. I bought a BenQ that was highly rated for photo editing and had a great price. It's a great screen.
                          I'll second the BenQ. I've had one for a few years and it is still amazing. Great price and a beautiful picture.

Comment

I'm in the process of building a new tower for photo and video editing. Attached is my build. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jV9ZLJ

Comment

New PC for Photo Editing

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                              I'm in the process of building a new tower for photo and video editing. Attached is my build. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jV9ZLJ

Made a few modifications, but I completed my build.

Last edited by Chad C; 03-21-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X