Maine Black Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maine Black Bear

On Saturday I picked up my brother, Lewis, in NC and we headed out on the 18 hour drive to Chapman, Maine. We would be hunting with Squapan Mountain Outfitters. This was the annual Black Widow hunt and Black Widow would be giving a new bow to whoever shot the biggest bear. Roger Fulton, one of the BW owners was in camp. Toby Essick, another owner, was supposed to be in camp but tested posted positive for Covid and had to cancel. We arrived at the camp Sunday and got settled into our cabin. On Monday we met and discussed rules and guidelines for the hunt. We were assigned our guides and told where we would be hunting. Lewis and I were assigned Dave, a guide we had on a previous hunt.

On Monday afternoon I sat in a nice ground blind about 15 yards from the bait barrel. About 7:00 PM I had a nice bear come in. He approached the barrel and backed off a few times, never giving me a shot. It got too dark to shoot at about 7:30 and the bear started feeding on the bait. When it got totally dark the bear was still on the bait. I had to sit there waiting for the guide to pick me up. It is an eerie feeling sitting in the darkness knowing there is a bear feeding 15 yards away and you can’t see him.
    I hunted 2 more nights at that blind without being able to close the deal. On Thursday I sat on a ladder stand. I heard a bear in the brush behind the stand but never saw him.

Knowing that I preferred to hunt from the ground Dave put me in another ground blind that had been having some good activity on Friday afternoon. My blind was about 10 yards from the bait barrel. I got settled in for the long sit. At about 6:30 I had a nice bear come in. Dave had lit an incense stick, which had already burned out, a couple yards on the other side of the barrel. The bear walked straight to the stick and sniffed of it. She then turned around and walked back toward the barrel, turning and disappearing into the brush down the slope behind the barrel. A couple of minutes later she reappeared, walked around the barrel and laid down beside the barrel, broadside to me. At this point she was roughly 10 yards from me. I drew to anchor and released the string at approximately 6:45pm. The hit was a bit high but looked good.

At the shot she bolted down the slope behind the barrel and turn back to the right. I could see the nocturnal lighted nock for a short distance before it disappeared. I heard her crashing through the brush and then heard the death moan. I texted Dave that I had shot a bear and heard the death moan. When Dave arrived we found good blood at the shot site. We trailed her about 50 yards and found her. She was somewhat circling so died only about 35 Yards from the stand. My shot was high, but it severed an artery and she bled out quickly. She was a dry sow and weighed 186 lbs, bigger than average for a sow.

I was shooting my Black Widow PL longbow, 44lbs@28”. The arrow was a Gold Tip Velocity, with a 205 gr Simmons Safari broadhead. Total arrow weight was about 445 grains. Hunting bears from the ground is an absolute blast.
    Attached Files

Nice!

Comment

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Nice looking bear. I notice another bear on the ground in your last picture?

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
        Congratulations on a successful hunt. Nice looking bear. I notice another bear on the ground in your last picture?
        Yes, that's another bear, not mine.

Comment

Congrats looks like a great hunt.

Comment

Great bear story Phillip. Congrats on the bear. I knew you would eventually seal the deal with that Black Widow in Maine. Can't wait to hear the story in person.

Comment

That is great Phillip! I'll bet that was a little spooky sitting there in the dark listening to a bear eat. Congratulations on a great bear!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a successful hunt! Did your brother shoot one, and how big was the winning bear?

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                    Congrats on a successful hunt! Did your brother shoot one, and how big was the winning bear?
                    Brother had a big bear working his bait, he saw it but couldn't get a shot. Winning bear was 330 lbs.

Comment

Congrats! Heck of an accomplishment there!

Comment

Congrats to you sir! Glad you closed the deal. Sounds like an exciting hunt -- especially that wait for the guide in the dark with a bear eating at ground level 15 yards away!

Comment

Congrats again Phillip!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Way to go phillip. Congrats! Looking forward to hearing this story in person

Comment

Great write up, great bear. Who won the bow this year?

Comment

Working...
                              X