Tennis elbow and archery???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tennis elbow and archery???

I'm struggling with tennis elbow and shooting my bow. Anybody else gone through this that may be able to give me some insight? I'm wearing the braces, did ibuprofen for two weeks, ice them twice a day and I have not shot for over a month. Shooting a MR6 that I have dialed down to 55#. November is approaching and I need to be shooting. I have been told that the bow didn't cause cause this, but I don't want to aggravate it and cause permanent damage.
    Thanks

Seems now that I'm over 70 it is a more and more common occurrence to have discomfort in shoulders, elbows, wrists, etc, and not just from the bow. I have cut back on my shooting to 3 days/wk and about 20-25 arrows per shoot. I still hunt feral hogs, but that is just a couple of draws to loosen up and one, maybe two arrows. It is tolerable for me. Best of luck to you--and 55 lbs is your friend.

Comment

Im afraid I have bad news for you. When it heals you will get it on the other elbow.

Comment

I'm assuming your tennis elbow is not from tennis. The only suggestion I can give you is to try to figure out the cause, which is most likely from excessive use of your wrist. If you are wearing a tennis elbow band, make sure you place it high on the forearm about a half an inch below the crease in your arm.

Comment

Just another thought. I have tennis elbow real bad from playing tennis, but it never bothered me when I shot my bow. Are you certain that is what it is, and not something else?

Comment

I had it for months it was almost unbearable. Didn't know what it was, went to the doctor and he laughed saying I should have came in months earlier. He gave me a steroid shot right in the elbow directly on the spot. Hurt like heck and the pain was double for the next 48 hours, then just like that it was gone. I haven't had a bit of pain since and that was about 3 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I got tennis elbow 2 October's ago. Right in the middle of bow season. I tried to keep going, and was able to draw my bow WITH some discomfort. I kept hunting into gun season with my bow because I had entered an archery only big buck contest. Middle of November I was still having pain, but still hard headed! A buck came out following a doe, I didn't have time to stand. Tried to pull the bow back seated, but I couldn't stand the pain. By the time he went behind some bushes so I could stand, he was moving too fast and I didn't get the shot. Would have been at least 2nd place. Now that I've finished that long spill, don't worry about shooting your bow right now. At least you have better sense than I did, and lowered the poundage. Rest your arm. Google tennis elbow stretches and exercises. Keep on icing it and don't rush it. It takes at least 6 months to heal, mine took closer to a year because I tried to rush it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It is Tennis elbow and I already have it in both. The therapist doesn't think the bow caused it, most likely my work. I am a forester and 27 years of squeezing a timber marking paint gun, riding an ATV(mostly with one hand) about 2-4K miles per year for the past 20 years and loading/unloading untold thousands of bales of Pinestraw for 20 years are the main suspects, but the 49 birthdays are not off the hook!

Probably going to step up therapy to include ultrasound, Electrical stimulation, and maybe iontophoresis. The cortisone injection may happen also.

Together, y'all have reinforced what the therapist says, that I can get over it. No need for crossbow shopping yet!

Upon further review, MAYBE it's from typing on an IPhone and I can sue Apple!!! Anybody want to join in for a class action suit!!!
                Last edited by QDM4fun; 06-21-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I have tennis elbow about every three to four years. Rest is the only way I get rid of it.
                  Mine take up to three months. Never had a shot, my have to look into that next time.
                  Last edited by Mertzon Man; 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Shane is correct. I have had it for years from fishing and servicing chainsaws when I was in high school . It got so bad I could not shake someone's hand , I too got the injection in the elbow it hurt bad I thought, untill the next morning, I swear I thought something was wrong for like 2-3 days , then the pain was gone. Not the cure but it is great to be pain free !!

Comment

Doubt that archery caused it. I can't imagine a form that would. Rest it and rest it double the time it took for the pain to stop.

The only time I've ever had it was from pull ups (after I was 40) and did it twice over 4 years. Did the Dr visits and all. Cut caffeine and salt. Resting it is what worked. Ached something awful at night and ruined my golf game for months each time.

Comment

I got it from shooting my bow 2 years ago. My bow draw weight was too heavy for me and I shot well after my shoulder was tired one day and started using bad form to draw back. It lasted for 6 plus months and hurt like hell but went away after I stopped using it completely for 3-4 weeks.

Comment

I had it pretty bad the last two deer seasons. Hardly shot my bow because of it. Went from 70lbs down to less than 60lbs just so I could pull the dang thing. Shoulder was really hurting also. It got so bad I could not even pick up a bottle of water. The Doctor gave me a list of things to try before even discussing the shots. Did them all with no luck. Went back and got 3 or 4 shots in my elbow and the same in my shoulder. Two days later there was a noticeable difference! MUCH better. Right elbow and shoulder are almost normal now. But the left side is starting to get bad. I know it might not be the best answer, but I'm a big fan of the shots.

Comment

Check out airrosti.com
                            I see and treat tennis elbow as well as golfers elbow and get good results. And in LESS THAN 6 months. Working the soft tissue and combining rehab with it can really speed up the process. Check out the website and find the location tab and put in your zip code for the closest provider to you. I am in San Marcos. Pm me if you have questions. Elbow pain comes from a fault somewhere in your shoulder and the shots do help sometimes but doesn't fix it and it comes back. Check us out.

Comment

Absolute rest is the key. Ice it when you can and use ibuprofen sparingly. It tears up your stomach. Don't be afraid of the shots if necessary. The steroid reduces the swelling which is what is needed.

I had it so bad last year from swinging a hammer, I could barely raise my arm from my side. It was excruciating and my usually large arm was beginning to atrophy. Out of desperation, I learned to swing a hammer left handed (sort of...I bent a lot of nails), gave it unconditional rest and it healed in about a month. I had it for 5 months prior to the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X