Detecting a Water Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the P&y
    Maybe the golden key will bring closure to the water leak. It is a magical thing I hear.

My "leak" was a bad meter. Water company hooked up a hose read the meter filled the bucket reread the meter it should it took 23 gallons.

Comment

Several years ago my dad had a big water leak, but there was no water standing at all besides right at the meter. Come to find out, the city water line broke right at the meter. But, water was swirling in to the meter and spinning it like crazy giving a false indication that the leak was on our side.

After a few phone calls, a water tech came out and saw what was happening. My dad got a credit for any water use over his normal use for that month.

Comment

I see $$ coming your way

Comment

You have a shut off valve at the meter? if yes and it's on your side of the meter shut it and see what the meter does.if it keeps turning the meter is bad. If that's not it, start cutting you line in half to narrow down the search to a more manageable area.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
            You can rent a listening device that you waive over ground like a metal detector. You will hear the water movement.
            We have a "sniffer" at work that we use to detect boiler tube leaks. Just went and picked it up!!

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
            I see $$ coming your way
            Right now, it's $$$ going the other way!!!

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            You have a shut off valve at the meter? if yes and it's on your side of the meter shut it and see what the meter does.if it keeps turning the meter is bad. If that's not it, start cutting you line in half to narrow down the search to a more manageable area.
            I shut the valve off at the house. Meter still rolls. Shut the valve off at the meter and it stopped. So, it's got to be something between there and the house, which is about 1500 feet of line. Went checked the meter this morning and it was rolling. Called the boss at work and he's letting me borrow the sniffer. I get back and the meter isn't moving at all, nothing, nada!!! WTH!!! Once it starts up again, I'll use the sniffer. If I can't find anything with that, my next move is to start putting in shut off valves at various points along my line and see if I can narrow it down. Still don't think it's a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              We have a "sniffer" at work that we use to detect boiler tube leaks. Just went and picked it up!!

Right now, it's $$$ going the other way!!!

I shut the valve off at the house. Meter still rolls. Shut the valve off at the meter and it stopped. So, it's got to be something between there and the house, which is about 1500 feet of line. Went checked the meter this morning and it was rolling. Called the boss at work and he's letting me borrow the sniffer. I get back and the meter isn't moving at all, nothing, nada!!! WTH!!! Once it starts up again, I'll use the sniffer. If I can't find anything with that, my next move is to start putting in shut off valves at various points along my line and see if I can narrow it down. Still don't think it's a leak.
              Doesn't sound like a leak to me other the way you are describing. Hope you find the problem and get it resolved.

Comment

In for the results. Hope it's a easy quick find.

I may have missed this but what type pipe is in the ground?

Comment

For some reason, I'm thinking somebody has tapped into my line and has a sprinkler system or something in that nature on timed intervals. I mean, why would the meter be rolling at one point and then nothing later. Just don't make sense being a leak!!

Comment

They haven't installed a smart water meter by chance have they? A digital one with an antenna. Those things have had some serious issues with them going haywire.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                      In for the results. Hope it's a easy quick find.

I may have missed this but what type pipe is in the ground?
                      2 inch from the meter to the front of the house, then reduces down to 3/4 going to the house.

Comment

My guess is if it were a leak it would be constant. I had a leak in my water line and it eventually made a mud puddle that turned into a hole full of clear water with the pipe exposed where it was leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          For some reason, I'm thinking somebody has tapped into my line and has a sprinkler system or something in that nature on timed intervals. I mean, why would the meter be rolling at one point and then nothing later. Just don't make sense being a leak!!
                          Yeah stopping and starting is not a leak. I think someone may be bootlegging your water too. But, is your pipe a straight from the box to the house? If so, how could you not see someone tie into your line?

Comment

Take note of the time of day when the meter is going crazy, then compare it to other days to see if there is a patern.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jaybo31;12381187]Yeah stopping and starting is not a leak. I think someone may be bootlegging your water too. But, is your pipe a straight from the box to the house? If so, how could you not see someone tie into your line?[/QUOTE]

x2... hope you find the problem, something is just not adding up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                                Yeah stopping and starting is not a leak. I think someone may be bootlegging your water too. But, is your pipe a straight from the box to the house? If so, how could you not see someone tie into your line?
                                It's 1500 ft. of line. Not a lot of grass along the road and once I pull out of the driveway, I don't pay any attention. Another thing, back last summer or fall, can't remember, my neighbor that just bought the place next to me, which my water line runs along his place, busted my water line while working on our road. By the time I got home, he already had it fixed and covered up. So this makes me wonder, although I haven't noticed anything dug on his place. Right now, still waiting for the meter to start rolling where I can use the sniffer. I've only gone thru 7 gallons since 11:45, little over 2 hrs ago. Yesterday from 12 to 3, went thru 74 gallons. By 5, 144 gallons, then the meter stopped rolling after that.
                                Go figure!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X