60 days till Texas whitetail with Extreme Bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 days till Texas whitetail with Extreme Bowhunting

In 2 very LOOOONG months I get to return to the great state of Texas for exotics and whitetails with the great folks at Extreme Bowhunting in Brackettville. This is a return hunt. I had the chance last year to do a 2 day exotic hunt. We had a fantastic trip and I took a nice blackbuck (small by Texas standards, but a true trophy for a guy from Washington). This year we are going back with a larger group and more days. I am hoping thing play out close to the same as last year. When we were there on Dec 15th 2014 the whitetail were rutting hard and I could have killed several quality bucks. If all goes well, they will be rutting again and if that is the case we should have some outstanding hunting. I opted for the 4 day WT safari, one 8 point or better buck, one mature exotic (aoudad, axis, blackbuck or fallow) up to 4 hogs, a goat and a axis doe. I don't have any misconceptions of being able to "tag out" but if I can get either the WT or a mature exotic, I feel like I win. If somehow I get both, then everything else is gravy. I will for sure post an updated review and if all goes well some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

did you get any pics of the whitetails while on stand?

Comment

none that came out worth a crap. I am hoping that with a few extra days I will be able to both connect on an animal or 2 and find a little time to get some live pics. I would love to tell ya approximate scores, but I am VERY bad at that. I can say this in 2 days I seen 4 that I would be proud to have on the wall and several others that were pretty dang close, at least make great euros. I think most of their WT are still there. I don't think they had any/many hunts last year, so it "should" be pretty good

Comment

Sounds good I hope yall have a great trip.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

keep us posted. I booked a exotic hunt for March & taking my 15 year old Grandson on his spring break. I would be satisfied with that Blackbuck, looks great to me.

Comment

Thank you ahunter55, I am very pleased with him. I will say that there were a few low point and the lowest was this guy. I missed the fallow in the middle at 42yds. I figured him at 35 and made my shot. First light and I was in an elevated stand. pulled back and released. Zero string jump, the whole thing was like slow motion. Arrow was true and I watched it drop into his silhouette. I had started to plan for how I would have him mounted when I heard the worst sound ever.....my arrow and muzzy broadhead hitting rocks and sticks somewhere beyond my target. The arrow missed just low...and I mean JUST LOW. The good thing was it was a clean miss and that big boy ran off spooked, but unharmed. I knew this was him as he was still running with the big boy with the broken antler. We made a search for any sign of blood and found my arrow clean and blood free......maybe he will be there for my return trip if not maybe he will step out for your grandson.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Getting closer. Good luck!

Comment

It is getting closer, 28 days (but who's counting). Been trying to do a little shooting everyday. I have most of my gear packed. Just waiting for my licence and tag to show up. I have made arrangements with Mr Ryan Longer of Longer Outdoors to handle our taxidermy (assuming we can make our shots count. Makes me a little sad that the taxidermist I used last year has still not managed to finish my blackbuck, but what are ya gonna do. I will take plenty of pics and gladly post another review once we finish. I can't say enough good about the guys at Extreme Bowhunting. They took great care of us last year and I assume it will be the same this trip

Comment

I've been talking to Ryan about several different things. Seems he's into everything

Comment

After coming across your review about your blackbuck hunt with your friends, I've been chomping at the bit to go. My wife gave me the green light to go. As soon as Christmas is over, I plan on calling and booking a trip if they have any spots available. I've really been wanting to arrow a fallow buck.

Comment

Living4October, you wont regret it. Caleb is a great guy and his dad "Boots" is true salt of the earth. They will make you feel at home and are helpful and knowledgeable, but will still let you make the hunt yours. I have been fortunate and had the opportunity to hunt with a few Texas ranches now (all have been great trips), but the fallow that we seen on Extreme Bowhunting were SPECTACULAR!!! I missed a very nice spotted, but we seen a chocolate fallow that was like none that I have ever seen.

I am sure they will have some openings as they are still pretty new, but I am sure you wont regret your choice (as we all know, you have a LOT of ranch choices in Texas) and that you will leave the ranch already planning your return trip. That was us, we talked dates and packages the whole trip to the airport

Comment

has anyone else been recently? I'll be looking forward to your recap of your future hunt. We go in March.

Comment

I tried to set up a hunt there a while back, but got no response. I'll try again and see if we can't get something booked. I'm ready to lay something down with the Chill-R.

Comment

Working...
                            X