Help me with weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
    Don't let one bad experience or shot placement change your set up.
    Why would you not want to look, at why you had a failure and fix. One failure is too many when it’s fixable.

Comment

My arrow with broadhead weighed 370gr.
      I went with Easton Axis 5mm. I added a brass insert and the iron will impact collars. Got them up to 460gr with a broadhead.
      I cant believe how much better they are shooting and my bow is def quieter

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
        My arrow with broadhead weighed 370gr.
        I went with Easton Axis 5mm. I added a brass insert and the iron will impact collars. Got them up to 460gr with a broadhead.
        I cant believe how much better they are shooting and my bow is def quieter
        Very nice

Comment

Get you some slick trix or muzzy's

Comment

it's not the arrow or the broadhead. It is shot placement everytime. I've lost 3 in KS over the years hitting them in the shoulder. 70lbs draw, 475 grain arrows, fixed, mechanical. it's all the same.

I've shot 55lbs for the past 4 years. I've worked hard on practicing on a glendel life size target and staying away from the shoulder. I'm 4 for 4 the past 4 seasons including my 3 biggest bucks ever

lower your poundage, get comfortable and focus on NOT hitting the shoulder. NO bow, arrow, or broadhead will make up for hitting a big midwestern buck in the shoulder

Comment

A few years back I walked into Hoffy's with a similar story after losing a decent TX deer shooting Maxima Reds under 400gr total. Switched to GT's with inserts at little over 450 with 100gr. Trypans at Aarons recommendation. It's been effective and have plenty of confidence in both.

Comment

Shot placement was your first problem. If you meant to put the arrow into his shoulder you need to rethink that first.
                Heavier arrows and lose the mechanicals.

Comment

Your scenario is why I stopped shooting expandables. I’ve lost 2 myself with scapula hits. I know it’s a bad shot, but things happen and I want all the odds in my favor. I shoot a gold tip 340 @28 inches long with standard insert and have no problem with pass through on a clean hit.

Comment

I’d say your set up is a hair stiff and very light. I’d go for some 300 spine easton axis with 75 grain inserts and continue to run the 100 grain hypos. Nothing wrong with mechanicals but you have to have some weight behind it. I’d also recommend shooting an actual broadhead at targets and making sure the arrow isn’t getting any drag. If you don’t want to go that heavy, I’d still encourage you to go with a slightly heavier set up but use the Montec G5’s. They seem to fly well for many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to hear, and glad you got one. My opinion, heavier is better (within reason) sharp fixed is better (almost always). Lusk has some great broadhead reviews, lots of great arrows out there too. Aim Small

Comment

Proper shot placement is key. Get you a quality COC BH and make sure it is shaving sharp and enjoy the arrow flight and kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                          Ok, I shot a buck in KS back in Nov. I hit him directly in the shoulder at apprx 20yds. Shooting a 100gr Rage Hypodermic. The broadhead broke and there was about 1" of penetration beyond the Rage. My arrow was laying where he stood when I shot. Needless to say, I didn't recover the deer. On a side note, I saw the deer 4 days later dogging a doe about 1 mile from where I shot. He was a very distinct deer with very unique antlers so Im 100% confident it was him. He had a slight limp. Im assuming I hit the scapula.

As luck would have it, I was able to connect on a 156" Kansas dream buck later in the week. I double lunged him and didn't get a pass through. Shot him at 24 yds. I watched him run off with the arrow hanging out of him. Again, exact same set up as above. I made a successful recovery on this deer as I watched him fall after 125 yd sprint. This buck dressed 250lbs. The one I wounded was much larger. I estimate him to have been 350 on the hoof.

Im shooting a PSE DreamSeason EVO set @ 71lbs and 27.5" draw. Arrows are Carbon Express Maxima Hunters 350(8.9GPI) with a Nockturnal and the 100 grain Rage. My arrows are 26 7/16" long before nock and broadhead.

Based on my calculations, Im shooting 356.29 grains.

Im nervous that Im not shooting a heavy enough arrow.

Im thinking I need to go heavier. I know scapula shots r tough with an expandable though. I did switch broadheads recently and now I shoot Slick Tricks mainly. I still have a bunch of Rage, G5 Havocs and Montecs.

Thoughts on going heavier? If so, Is there anything I can do to my existing arrows to add significant weight? Also, how much heavier do I need to be? Im primarily hunt WT in TX and KS. Or should I look at a different arrow? Im partial to Carbon Express and prefer to keep shooting those. Im looking at the Mayhem Hunter SDS which are 11.1 GPI or the new Maxima Triads. Of course I would rather keep it as cheap as possible.
                          Dump the Rage's and get some type of cut on contact broadhead. Your setup is fine, except for your broadheads.

Comment

Working...
                          X