Necessary Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessary Upgrades

I have bought a Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM. It comes with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x50, a padded cheek rest, and muzzle brake.

Is there anything y'all suggest to do or not do? This is my first long range rifle, so baby steps.

This is it, without bipod.

Comment

Add a bipod and get rid of the muzzle brake. The brake isn’t necessary with a CM. It will just **** people off shooting by you, blow crap everywhere if you are shooting prone or be obnoxious in a blind.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Toss the break and better glass are the first things I would personally fo

Comment

Shoot it a bunch and then decide.

LWD

Comment

Suppressor instead of the brake

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              Suppressor instead of the brake
              I've read that the barrel doesn't like the can too much, and that it causes your zero to drop. This might be the case for all cans, seeing how I don't have much experience with them. Plus, from a quick search, that's a grand easy. What's the benefit of a suppressor besides being quiet.

Comment

For long range, better glass. And let me buy that scope off of you lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  Add a bipod and get rid of the muzzle brake. The brake isn’t necessary with a CM. It will just **** people off shooting by you, blow crap everywhere if you are shooting prone or be obnoxious in a blind.

Sierracharlie out…
                  Which one? I've read that a bipod can mess with accuracy.

Comment

Boyds stock, better scope, trigger job.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                      Which one? I've read that a bipod can mess with accuracy.

I’m not trying to be a smart *** but you need to vet what you are reading bud. People that can’t shoot will likely blame a bipod.

Either a Harris with the tilt feature or an Atlas if you want the Cadillac.

To answer your question on the suppressor yes it will change you point of impact but you make the adjustment in the scope for the shift. They are quieter so they don’t make you and your friends/ family deaf when you are shooting them. Your shooting will spook game less than conventional rifles. If you don’t want/have the money to spend on it that’s one thing but don’t not buy one because it changes you point of impact.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I’m not trying to be a smart *** but you need to vet what you are reading bud. People that can’t shoot will likely blame a bipod.

Either a Harris with the tilt feature or an Atlas if you want the Cadillac.

To answer your question on the suppressor yes it will change you point of impact but you make the adjustment in the scope for the shift. They are quieter so they don’t make you and your friends/ family deaf when you are shooting them. Your shooting will spook game less than conventional rifles. If you don’t want/have the money to spend on it that’s one thing but don’t not buy one because it changes you point of impact.

Sierracharlie out…
                        No need to apologize. I need information. I'm not one to take what I read outside of TBH as gospel. That's why I'm asking for further clarification.

In regards to a suppressor, it's not in the cards right now, but not out of the question. Again, I'm needing education on these things.

Comment

You have a good start bud. I’d shoot it some and get comfortable with it. Definitely take off the brake though unless you are super recoil sensitive. Just don’t need it for a 6.5.

No worries on the suppressor. I shot a precision rifle for many years before I got one.

Maybe a trigger later on (I’m not familiar with the ruger stock triggers) like a Timney. Better glass later on isn’t a bad idea either.

Right now the only thing I’d add is a bipod and about 200 rounds of ammo.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                            I've read that the barrel doesn't like the can too much, and that it causes your zero to drop. This might be the case for all cans, seeing how I don't have much experience with them. Plus, from a quick search, that's a grand easy. What's the benefit of a suppressor besides being quiet.
                            Thinner the barrel the larger the POI shift from on to off. But as long as it is repeatable, it does not matter. Just sight in with it on and shoot with it on.

Advantage, recoil, sound and some claim that it make a better transition to flight (I am not in that group).

Once I started shooting suppressed.....I will not shoot unsuppressed except for my legacy guns.

Comment

You have a good start bud. I’d shoot it some and get comfortable with it. Definitely take off the brake though unless you are super recoil sensitive. Just don’t need it for a 6.5.

No worries on the suppressor. I shot a precision rifle for many years before I got one.

Maybe a trigger later on (I’m not familiar with the ruger stock triggers) like a Timney. Better glass later on isn’t a bad idea either.

Right now the only thing I’d add is a bipod and about 200 rounds of ammo.

Sierracharlie out…
                              Sounds good. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X