Palo Duro Canyon SP - Exotic - Aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palo Duro Canyon SP - Exotic - Aoudad

I got the email notice this past Tuesday, Sept 16, confirming that I was successful in drawing a tag for the Palo Duro Canyon State Park Exotic Aoudad hunt. My hunt dates are Feb 4 - Feb 6, 2015.

Has anyone here on the forum hunted the canyon for aoudad???

I would love to try and use archery equipment to hunt the aoudad but since it is a hard tag to draw I think I'll use my rifle. Bag limit is "unlimited either sex" so if I get lucky and take one on the first day of the hunt then I'll try for another sheep using my bow.

I look forward to any thoughts, recommendations, and experiences that one would like to share.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Haven't hunted there but have been putting in for several years.How many points did you have?
    Congrats and good luck.

DJ

Comment

Congrats, that should be a fun hunt. They have great eyesight so getting close will be tough. Good luck and update some pics when you score!

Comment

I'm not certain as to the exact number of points I had before being drawn but it was either 6 or 7 points. I've been putting in for the Palo Duro hunt for the past 4 yrs, this being the 5th yr, for specifically applying for the Aoudad hunt.

I've heard, and read, that the Aoudad do indeed have terrific eyesight. I'd love to be able to take one with a bow but I'll be using my rifle instead, at least until I bag one with the gun, then if there is still time I will switch to my bow. I wouldn't want to see one 400 yds out and only be able to wave at him if I only had my bow in hand.

I'll post my experiences and results after the hunt. Hopefully I'll have a few pics of a sheep or two down!

Comment

I crawled all over that place as a kid. It's going to be a great hunt, regardless of whether you put a tag on anything or not. Have fun!

Comment

I've done some internet research and found a few posts on the Texas Hunting Forum regarding this very hunt. It seems that most people quit the hunt after the first afternoon due to the strenuous requirement of having to hike in and out of the hunting compartment. Also, each hunter is required to pack out any animal shot. I haven't spoken to the State Officials yet to confirm all the details.

I guess the strain is more than most can bare!

I think it will be an exciting endeavor!

Comment

This hunt looks super fun... And cold!

Comment

Originally posted by BAPilot2 View Post
                I've done some internet research and found a few posts on the Texas Hunting Forum regarding this very hunt. It seems that most people quit the hunt after the first afternoon due to the strenuous requirement of having to hike in and out of the hunting compartment. Also, each hunter is required to pack out any animal shot. I haven't spoken to the State Officials yet to confirm all the details.

I guess the strain is more than most can bare!

I think it will be an exciting endeavor!
                Yep. Hunting the canyons isn't anything like driving up to a blind and watching a feeder until you shoot a deer and then back your truck up to the deer and load it and go home.

Pack a lunch (and lots of water) and go HUNT.

Comment

Start hitting the stair climbers now. Had a couple buddy's go and it's a hard difficult hunt. They seen lots of deer, but no auodad. Even though they didny bag anything, they would go back. I'll ask them where they stayed at I believe it was somewhere in the canyon.

Comment

Any and all information on the hunt, the state park, places to stay, etc. will be welcome.

As for conditioning... February isn't that far off!

I have already begun riding my road bike (pedal power) and I will be running the stairs at the local high school stadium. I'll also be doing long walks, around 5 miles, two to three times per week. I'll be carrying my pack, initially with 25 pounds of weight, and then working up to 75 pounds by the new year.

If I stick to my regimen I ought to be ready for anything the canyon can throw at me!

Comment

I've been to the canyon many times but never to hunt. I'm not sure if they just hunt the south end of the canyon or the whole thing. Either way there will be lots of rugged terrain. It gets really cold here in February and can get lots os snow then. I think a couple of years ago they had to cancel the hunt because of the snow and ice.

There are a few guys that guide for aoudad on the ranches that border the canyon, they might be able to give some pointers.

There are some cabins that you can rent in the canyon but you better reserve early. If they even rent them in the winter. If not there are hotels in the town of Canyon that's close by.

I have 9 preference points and still can't draw this hunt!!! I'm hoping to try for a standby hunt.

Congrats on the draw and good luck.

Comment

Great hunt, my son went on a youth hunt last year. He got drawn again this year!

Comment

I'd suggest putting the treadmill on max incline and walking at 3+ mph for as long as possible. You will be shocked at the difficulty. I am in pretty good shape and an avid crossfitter. 6' 180#s. I still don't enjoy doing more than a mile at 3.5 mph. We just got back from CO elk hunting and I lost 8 lbs! We were covering 3000+ feet in elevation some days.

You can add a pack if the max incline treadmill gets too easy......but it won't! It's a great exercise to add in that you can really grind out some endurance work on. You won't likely see anyone else doing it....because it sucks!

We have two points for PD canyon. We will get there.

Comment

I hunted Caprock Canyons SP for aoudad in January of 2007 I think. I saw no aoudad but it was a great hunt. I want to hunt there again just like I want to hunt Palo Duro Canyon SP. It's so hard to get drawn! I suspect that if you even see an aoudad you'll be in the minority, but you'll cherish the exerience.

Comment

I could be mistaken but I think the success rate at PD canyon is 44% or it was last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X